Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foot position

Options
  • 26-07-2005 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone have any advice on the positioning of your feet on the pedals..? I dont use clips (only have a MB anyway) but Im just curious to know what foot position people adopt after I read the excerpt below.

I know that sometimes I have a bad habit of allowing the 'center' of my foot to do the work & not the ball of my foot. Interesting to read about the different motivations for aiming for the front or back of the pedal axle.

PS anyone who replies 'put your feet on the pedals and go' will be tracked down & thumped, severely. :p

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    When the ball of the foot is placed in front of the pedal axle, the effective leverage from the ankle to the pedal axle is reduced. This way it is easier to stabilize the foot on the pedal, and it leads to a decreased tension on the Achilles tendon and the calf muscles. Some triathletes and time trial cyclists choose this option because the increased stability of the foot enables them to shift into a higher gear. The possibility of achieving higher pedaling frequencies is limited by this adjustment and the ankle pattern is a lot less regular, especially in the upper and lower positions, because the possibility of deviation in the ankle joint is limited. When the ball of the foot is placed behind the pedal axle, the effective leverage is enhanced, making it more difficult to stabilize the foot on the pedal. The consequence of this position is that the Achilles tendon and the calf muscles are under increased strain in order to maintain sufficient rigidity of the foot. This method is sometimes adopted by track cyclists because it enables them to achieve a higher pedaling frequency. The position of the foot (shoe) on the pedal not only has consequences for the possible occurrence of injuries, particularly of the knee, but it also affects the efficiency of the pedaling movement.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can use clips whil mtbing - a lot of people do. They're called SPDs. The cleats will only allow you to clip-in in one position anyway. That is with the part just in front of the arch of your foot on the peddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Ive been cycling since three years of age and have allways used the ball of the foot to pedal nomatter what type of bike. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Always ride the ball of my foot, you have no control using the arch, or even your heel if you somehow manage it. I love seeing 'tards trying to stand and sprint on their arches. They look like the would keel over if they hit a pot hole.

Advertisement