Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed

Options
  • 26-07-2005 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

How do,

An elderly relative of mine is on the free line rental scheme and now wants to pay for a broadband service.

If she does go for BB, would the line rental remain free of charge?

thanks in advance

Fergus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Yes line rental is always free of charge for OAP's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

How do,

An elderly relative of mine is on the free line rental scheme and now wants to pay for a broadband service.

If she does go for BB, would the line rental remain free of charge?

thanks in advance

Fergus

Hi Fergus

I would think that the answer to this is yes. So far as I remember eircom operate the scheme on the basis of adding up the various costs on the bill and then applying a credit. This is to allow for customers who have items on their bill other than the basic eircom social benefit scheme (e.g. special phones, chargeable services, etc.) Most probably the broadband item on the bill would simply be included in the total in this way.

However you question is well asked, and you are right not to take anything for granted.

You could always call eircom broadband sales on 1800 503 303 and ask - you may need to hang up a few times and call back until you get someone who sounds like she/he knows what she/he is saying to be correct.

The above assumes that eircom is both the voice line provider and the broadband provider. If the DSL based broadband were provided by other than eircom, I can't see how eircom could penalise her line rental only account. I am not sure how it would all work out if both the line rental and BB were provided by say ESAT but again you could ask.

The alternative would be to go ahead an order it, and if the result was not what you hoped for, boy oh boy wouldn't you have some material for an article!! Think of what Age Action Ireland, The Carers Association and The Over 50s would have to say. Not to mention Joe Duffy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

esat will do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Hi Fergus,
    there is currently no better deal available than this BT offer.
    The 1 MB Broadband part will be free for the first four month and then only cost €15 per month!

BT operate as well, as all other telcos, the Social Benefit scheme, which means that the Departmental subsidy will appear as a €24 credit on the bill. Bt also throw in €5 of free calls per month.(See this page).

Here is the info on the spectacular broadband offer:

"Broadband and Line Rental special offer

€25 per month for the first 4 months

€40 per month for every month after

Reduced one-time connection fee €50

Six month minimum term

Save on calls with BT Talk"

P.

Advertisement