Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs to sign Davids

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tottenham swoop to capture Davids

Davids has played at the highest level
    Tottenham are poised to sign Edgar Davids from Inter Milan on a free transfer subject to a medical and agreeing personal terms.
    "He is one of the most versatile midfielders, a playmaker, a ball-winner with great stamina and huge charisma," said Spurs head coach Martin Jol.

"It's terrific that he is joining us. He will lift the team's performance."

The 32-year-old has 73 caps for Holland and counts Ajax, Juventus and Barcelona among his previous clubs.

Jol continued: "This is a player who went to Barcelona when they were middle of the league and took them close to winning the title."

Davids joined Barcelona on loan in January 2004 but could not agree a deal with the Spanish club and returned to Juventus last summer.

The midfielder joined Inter on a free but was a peripheral figure at the club and is now set to move to the Premiership.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/4719445.stm

They need a bit of experience, pretty good signing if he can wind back a year.

arf :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Yeah, we needed an experienced player to go with all the young fellas we've signed! Hope hes still got it in him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kaids wrote:
    arf :)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Even though this brings their midfield up to 20 odd players :p it's a great signing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Jesus, Spurs have a superb midfield and forward line now. A top class centre half is needed though imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I don't think so myself,years ago i would've said said absolutely but i think Davids is way past his best.Sure he can still play a bit but i guarantee you he couldn't get into any of the starting 11 of the top teams in the Premiership,he'll probably do alright for Tottenham but IMO he's past his best.

At one time especially the 98 World Cup he was majestic and a joy to watch but think he can't cut it with the best any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Crap just bought Brown for me fantasy football team , bett sell him to Wigan now.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eirebhoy wrote:
    Jesus, Spurs have a superb midfield and forward line now. A top class centre half is needed though imo.

Maybe they'll get Sol on a free. ;)

Great signing for Spurs. They have an abundance of younger talent so a wise head in midfield will do wonders for the team. Jol is playing a stormer for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Free aswell, fantastic for SPurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

What do you reckon their first choice midfield would be?

Routledge Carrick Davids Reid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

This signing will without a doubt strengthen their chance of qualifying for the CL.

With the signings they have made, wouldn't suprise me if they qualified for the Group Stage automaticly.

andyman wrote:
    This signing will without a doubt strengthen their chance of qualifying for the CL.

With the signings they have made, wouldn't suprise me if they qualified for the Group Stage automaticly.
    Top 2? You're definately a Spurs fan :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

After years and years of the rumour it finally comes through

Maybe Rivaldo will sign in january...

No, United. They will finish Top of the league, Spurs 2nd ;) .

I just have to admit impressive transfers when I see it. I even complement Arsenal and City(our two GREATEST RIVALS :eek: ) with their signings of Hleb and Vassell respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Davids is a brilliant signing if they agree terms.
    He will help Spurs with his experience so much.
    I'm putting a bet on Spurs for the champions league tomorrow.
    I said they lookd good for it this year but Davids will definately help the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Man this is unbelievable! I agree that he's probably past his best, but his best was one of the most complete midfielders in the world, so if he can retain even a little of that, coupled with his experience, he'll be a huge influence to Spurs.

It's kind of like Liverpool wanting to sign Figo. Same age, many people have the same opinion about him as Davids, but both players would improve the team (or at least I hope in Spurs case he does at least!).

Not a done deal yet, but it's on the official site so that's always a good thing. Davids in a Spurs shirt - think I'll have to get his name on the back of mine now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

For the first time in a LONG time, Spurs have a better midfield on paper than Arsenal, in my opinion anyway. Actually, it looks to me like the second best midfield in the league, behind Chelsea. On paper anyway.

Anybody think we might be looking at the most competitive and best Premier League season ever coming up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Draupnir wrote:
    For the first time in a LONG time, Spurs have a better midfield on paper than Arsenal, in my opinion anyway. Actually, it looks to me like the second best midfield in the league, behind Chelsea. On paper anyway.
    Lets not go nuts.

Arsenal can still field a midfield four of Gilberto-Fabregas-Pires-Ljungberg, United can go Keane-Scholes-Ronaldo-Giggs.

Spurs have a 32 year old Davids, a promising but still a lot to prove youngster in Carrick, and Reid and Routledge on the wings.

At that rate Id even class Liverpools midfield ahead of them.

I agree. I think Liverpool have a great midfield, already more or less proven, whereas Spurs' is fairly unproven. Routledge did very well last year, Reid was ok, Carrick did well, and we don't know about Davids - it could go really well or it could go pear shaped. Obviously I hope it goes really well!

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote:
    I agree. I think Liverpool have a great midfield, already more or less proven, whereas Spurs' is fairly unproven. Routledge did very well last year, Reid was ok, Carrick did well, and we don't know about Davids - it could go really well or it could go pear shaped. Obviously I hope it goes really well!
    I agree.

Davids is an excellent signing for them as it gives their young midfield players a guide. He will be a good marshall to them all.

Carrick will particularly benefit though Id imagine, what odds now on him starting in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

If Lampard and Gerrard are fit. I would say his chance is Zero.
    Ericsson isn't a big fan of changing his team if he can help it.

I dont honestly agree that the Pool have a great midfield at all actually.

Gerrard and Alonso seem to struggle a bit to me as a partnership even though they are both excellent individual players.

Who do Liverpool have on the wings these days? Riise isnt a winger, Kewell hasnt played well in 3 years.

I dont rate Arsenal's midfield for the coming season because of the serious lack of leadership. Time will tell of course. I'm not entirely convinced with Fabregas ability to tackle, Pires and Ljungberg look to me to be going through the motions half the time, Gilberto is of course a magnificent player but I'm not sure he will play particularly well with Fabregas.

In terms of Uniteds midfield, I think its high time all us United fans and everyone else pretty much admitted that the Keane - Scholes partnership is never going to be what it was in the past again. at least not for more than 10 games a season.

For me, Carrick is as good a defensive midfielder as there is to be found anywhere in the World, only with better passing ability and vision than 99% of players. Davids is a fantastic player, has a great engine, great tackler and a neat passer. Routledge and Reid are both superb crossers of the ball and are very offensive, which will be nicely counter balanced by the two strong defenders in the centre.

I'm not trying to attack anyones team or anything, Im just genuinely impressed a lot by the qualities that Spurs midfield has on paper.

Dont even get me started on the tactical options their squad gives them. I shall certainly be having a bet on them for top 6 next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

looks like maybe spoke too soon...

Taken from SkySports.com
    Tottenham could have jumped the gun in announcing the capture of Edgar Davids from Internazionale.

Spurs said on Tuesday that Davids had agreed to move to White Hart Lane, where he would undergo a medical and finalise personal terms on a free transfer from Inter.

However, Davids' lawyer Rob Geerling says that several British clubs are still talking to Inter over a move for the tenacious Dutchman.

Middlesbrough and Everton are also thought to be trying to sign Davids, and Geerling says the 32-year-old has not yet made a final decision.

"Edgar has offers from several British clubs, who are talking to Inter," said Geerling.

"Edgar is waiting to see what is happening with those clubs."

Although Spurs do seem favourites, Geerling hinted that the lack of European football at the North Londoners could yet act against them, with both Boro and Everton involved in European competition.

"[Martin] Jol knows the player and he knows his qualities, and it is vice versa for Edgar," Geerling told The Guardian.

"Edgar likes to play at the highest level. There are pros and cons for all the relevant clubs."

Spurs still seem confident of signing Davids, but they will want to tie up the deal as soon as possible to avoid losing out on the experienced midfield man.

also on liverpool wingers, riise is now pretty much officially back to left back. wingers = Mark Gonzalez, Zenden, Kewell, le Tallec, garcia and potentially Pongolle with one more to come for the right (apparantly) to be honest, im pretty happy with that. Gonzalez looks like a future star!

Of all those wingers though, only Zenden is any use. Le Tallec and Pongolle are/were strikers in a former life right?

still some vague chance kewell could return after this latest batch of surgery(fingers crossed but hopes not too high!).

Gonzalez has bags of potential, rafa's been after him for months. The fact that he has a cruciate ligament injury at the moment and rafa went ahead and signed him anyway says something! His recovery is ahead of schedule too.

And whatever his defensive difficulties, you can't say garcia is no use, scoring 13goals, mostly played from right midfield (on the teamsheet at least, though really likes to cut in around the box).

Would still like to see a new face if the figo move has truly collapsed, im sure we'll hear soon enough. was apparantly interested in galletti too.

Le tallec usually played behind the striker in a supporting role setting stuff up for Pongolle. You can see when they do actualy get on the pitch at the same time (which is rare these days) they link up really well with each other. Pongolle still looks class imo and im hoping le tallec can up his level a bit more too. they're still very young so will have a few more chances anyway.

Draupnir wrote:
    Gerrard and Alonso seem to struggle a bit to me as a partnership even though they are both excellent individual players.
    Due to assorted injuries they have probably played about ten times together. Some of them to great effect. You are hardly in a position to judge.
    Draupnir wrote:
    Who do Liverpool have on the wings these days? Riise isnt a winger, Kewell hasnt played well in 3 years.
    Garcia and Zenden, two quality players.
    Draupnir wrote:
    I dont rate Arsenal's midfield for the coming season because of the serious lack of leadership. Time will tell of course. I'm not entirely convinced with Fabregas ability to tackle, Pires and Ljungberg look to me to be going through the motions half the time, Gilberto is of course a magnificent player but I'm not sure he will play particularly well with Fabregas.
    Fabregas and Gileberto were at the heart of Arsenals run at the beginning of last season where they were unstoppable. I would rather have Pires and Ljungberg going through the motions than Routledge and Reid. Have you never watched an Ireland game???
    Draupnir wrote:
    In terms of Uniteds midfield, I think its high time all us United fans and everyone else pretty much admitted that the Keane - Scholes partnership is never going to be what it was in the past again. at least not for more than 10 games a season.
    I am a particular critic of the Keane-Scholes partnership, they dont have what it takes anymore to challenge for a full season at the level that United are aiming. That said that level is considerably higher than Spurs's. I would much rather them than Carrick and Davids.
    Draupnir wrote:
    For me, Carrick is as good a defensive midfielder as there is to be found anywhere in the World, only with better passing ability and vision than 99% of players.
    :eek: Again, lets not go nuts. I like Carrick good solid player. But if he was *that* good he wouldnt have spent a year in Div 1 with West Ham. He would have been snapped up straight away. He is 23/24 and still have a massive amount to prove, even at Premiership level.
    Draupnir wrote:
    I'm not trying to attack anyones team or anything, Im just genuinely impressed a lot by the qualities that Spurs midfield has on paper.
    Neither am I, Spurs have a great side on paper. But its nowhere near that of the top 3, and probably not even as good as that of Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Excellent I am delighted for spurs, Martin Jol making the dutch connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Why does every thread in here end up with some reference to Liverpool?

Anyway "if" Spurs get Davids I think this would be a great signing! he is still a quality player! see what he did when he went to Barca a season or so ago? not sure what type of season he had with Inter last year but never heard much about him....dont watch Italian footie much so never seen him.....anyone watch it to give update?

Anyway class player who will beef up a light weight Spurs midfield....Carrick is class but will get bullyed by the Keane/Gerrard midfield players out there!! so Davids would be great!! prob will sell on Brown now who has done well but better in Championship!! let Wednesday have him and along with Partridge and Whelan we will be class! haha!!

This will help Reid as well because not only getting a full season in PL but will have good players at his side!! will make sure he is used to playing alongside a player like Keane!! things can only gett better for Spurs!!

• Advertisement

They were just comparing Spurs to the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lads you are all jumping the gun he hasnt signed for spurs yet and there is still some considerable doubt over whether he will or not so all this talk is pretty irrelevant if he doesnt sigm.

An other note Spurs midfield is not that good. Carrick is a solid player but there are better players out there in the PL. Reid is not that good imo. Look at his Irish performances very hit and miss. he has a good cross but thats about it. He had a very average time of it last season at spurs.

Routledge played well last year and he is young and can only get better. I think he will turn out to be a very good player.

If they do manage to get Davids it will be a very good signing imo. He is still a top class player as he proved when he went to Barcelona and turned their season around for them. I would just be worried about the amount of money spurs will have to pay him. No doubt he will smash their wage budget to pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Nelly wrote:
    Why does every thread in here end up with some reference to Liverpool?

!

Indeed, there appears to be a hugh influx of Pool supporters here lately for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on it but ther must be a reason for their renewed activity. ;)

Stick together Utd! We are afraid of no-one. Every time a Utd supporter comes around, SPONSER HIM/HER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

would be delighted if we got Davids.
    always been a great admirer of the man.

i think it looks as if the likes of jonny jackson and michale brown will find the door at some stage, as may pedro mendes, although, i am a big fan of his as well.
    I think Sean Davies, Ziegler, dean marney and emil Hallfredsson are ample cover, and the nice thing is that Redi gives us options on both the left and right wing if needs be.

i was really impressed with both stephen kelly and edman last season,a nd i think sale of the summer has to be atouba, who i never liked at all. nice trickery, but man, dangerous to be on the same team as him. and never effective going forward.

i can still see us getting andy johnson as well

FYI

http://www.spurs.co.uk/article.asp?hlid=294610

Edgar Davids' agent Dutch international lawyer, Rob Geerlings, confirmed today: "Edgar will be in London tomorrow for a medical with Tottenham Hotspur and to agree personal terms."

ya big fan of edman as well. put him in my 2 fantasy football teams for next year. scores some great goals as well. must say i think spurs are gonna do well this season, they've really got something coming together now. admittedly far too many midfielders, but hardly the worst poblem to have!
    I dont think they're central defensive problem really is a problem. Whenever naybet is out of gas, they still have a partnership of King and Dawson, who hasn't gotten many games but was fantastic for Forest and looks a real player for the future imo.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think Dawson is a real prospect. I was very surprised to see him start against Liverpool in Anfield last season but he played extremely well, and hasn't done a thing wrong in any game since. He's great in the air, and a very good tackler as well. Himself and King is a very solid partnership, and one that (should the club keep improving and showing ambition) should form the central defence for Spurs for years to come.

Due to assorted injuries they have probably played about ten times together. Some of them to great effect. You are hardly in a position to judge.

I've seen them live between 5 and 8 times I would say, when they were pretty ineffectual for the most part, I would actually go so far as to say I rate Alonso to be the better player. I think Gerrard drifts out of the game too much when he plays with Alonso, purely because Alonso covers a lot of the same pitch territory.
    Garcia and Zenden, two quality players.

I particularly dont rate Garcia at all, good crosser but hugely poor defensively. Scored a lot of goals last season from midfield though, so I cant blanketly slate him. I just dont rate him.
    Fabregas and Gileberto were at the heart of Arsenals run at the beginning of last season where they were unstoppable. I would rather have Pires and Ljungberg going through the motions than Routledge and Reid. Have you never watched an Ireland game???

Ive seen one or two Ireland games, Reid has never reproduced his Notts Forest form for Ireland yet. Have you never watched a Forest game????

Freddie had a very poor season last year by his standards and for me, Pires doesnt want to be at Arsenal anymore.
    I am a particular critic of the Keane-Scholes partnership, they dont have what it takes anymore to challenge for a full season at the level that United are aiming. That said that level is considerably higher than Spurs's. I would much rather them than Carrick and Davids.

I disagree, if Carrick and Davids can blend nicely as a partnership, they can out perform the United pairing, who are significantly off form and undermined by Keanes age/injury, I would see them performing a lot better than our partnership to be honest.
    :eek: Again, lets not go nuts. I like Carrick good solid player. But if he was *that* good he wouldnt have spent a year in Div 1 with West Ham. He would have been snapped up straight away. He is 23/24 and still have a massive amount to prove, even at Premiership level.

I've followed Carrick for about 7 years now, since the Joe Cole hype started. I remember reading about him as a product of West Hams youth system. I can honestly say, I have never seen a better defensive midfielder of English nationality. I think he stayed at West Ham out of loyalty more than anything.
    Neither am I, Spurs have a great side on paper. But its nowhere near that of the top 3, and probably not even as good as that of Liverpool.

Liverpool on paper isnt great in my opinion. There defense is a shambles and they have one top drawer winger in the squad. Their only world class striker is Morientes.

Garcia isn't the type of winger that defends though, much as christiano ronaldo doesn't. its something that can be added to their games, like it was to cole's last season but he's just a different type of winger then, say, riise who covers back very well, but no less effective at what he does. again 13 goals from midfield, joint top scorer.

Carrick i do believe is a very good player, but im not sure him and davids would give the amazing midfield you think it would. Dont get me wrong its still great, but at the end of the day they're both very defensive midfielders so leaves you a bit short going forward with just the wingers. As for Reid, yes he was great in championship, but premiership is a much higher standard where he has yet to prove himself entirely. he's been good but not great, same as for ireland, again a higher standard.

And El Moro being the only world class striker? Just because baros isn't playing in the correct system to suit him doesn't mean he's not world class. his international record speaks for himself, and he's still young. Same goes for cisse, his record in france is incredible, top socerer consistantly (i know its france, but you cant ignore That many goals. a little time to mature and settle in and he'll be amazing, he is only 22)

Draupnir wrote:
    I've seen them live between 5 and 8 times I would say, when they were pretty ineffectual for the most part, I would actually go so far as to say I rate Alonso to be the better player. I think Gerrard drifts out of the game too much when he plays with Alonso, purely because Alonso covers a lot of the same pitch territory.

I particularly dont rate Garcia at all, good crosser but hugely poor defensively. Scored a lot of goals last season from midfield though, so I cant blanketly slate him. I just dont rate him.
    But on paper the two are at least on a par with Spurs pair (should Davids arrive).

As regards Garcia, hes an attacking winger, and last year he played as part of a midfield 5 as the most offensive player. I dont doubt that defending isnt one his finest assets, but his job is attacking. If either Reid or Routledge (or anyone for that matter) can bag as many goals/assists as Garcia did last year, they will have had a good year.
    Draupnir wrote:
    Ive seen one or two Ireland games, Reid has never reproduced his Notts Forest form for Ireland yet. Have you never watched a Forest game????

Freddie had a very poor season last year by his standards and for me, Pires doesnt want to be at Arsenal anymore.
    Reid has had a couple of good games for Ireland, although many of them have come against weak opposition. He has also had good games for Forest, although many of them have come against weak........you get me? He has a lot to prove at Premiership level.

Freddie had a poor season? You should tell him that. He still bagged over 20 goals (14 for Arsenal/7 for Sweden). And Pires does want to play for Arsenal, so much so hes going to stay on despite not getting the contract he wants.
    Draupnir wrote:
    I disagree, if Carrick and Davids can blend nicely as a partnership, they can out perform the United pairing, who are significantly off form and undermined by Keanes age/injury, I would see them performing a lot better than our partnership to be honest.
    Davids is almost as old as Keane. Id also say you are one of the only United fans that would do a like for like swap.
    Draupnir wrote:
    I've followed Carrick for about 7 years now, since the Joe Cole hype started. I remember reading about him as a product of West Hams youth system. I can honestly say, I have never seen a better defensive midfielder of English nationality. I think he stayed at West Ham out of loyalty more than anything.
    Carrick only broke into the West Ham first team at the back end of the 1999/2000 season (playing 4 games) so he has only had five full seasons of football (one at Div1 level). Maybe you followed him during his loan spells at Swindon and Birmingham I dont know. But at 24 he has bags and bags to prove. Joe Cole broke into the first team in the second half of the 98/99 and had played a season and a half before Carrick got a look in. Carrick is as hyped as Cole.

A better England DM? Trevor Steven, Neil Webb, David Batty? And thats only including sitting players in the Carrick mould. At 24 he only has 4 caps!

He stayed at West Ham because no one came in for him. Their financial position was precarious and they had to let players go. He wasnt good enough to make the step up then.
    Draupnir wrote:
    Liverpool on paper isnt great in my opinion. There defense is a shambles and they have one top drawer winger in the squad. Their only world class striker is Morientes.
    Im not going to get into a discussion about this, but Liverpool on paper are a stronger side than Spurs.

Trevor Steven, Neil Webb, David Batty

Trevor Steven had half the vision and passing ability of Carrick, good player mind I will agree. Neil Webb was very out of his depth at the highest level and David Batty was a second rate player who was blessed to land in the professional game at a time when England werent very good and his Leeds club had Cantona.

I've followed Carricks career from the youths so I have a lot of admiration for him.

I guess it is hard to criticise Garcia, he just doesnt convince me that he is very good whenever I see him.

It could just be misty eyed sentamentalism that makes me think Davids and Carrick are going to be a fantastic partnership since they are two of my favourite players. I will gladly admit that.

I didnt however, say I would do a like for like swap for Roy and Scholesy, they went off the boil last season but I have complete faith in their natural ability. If they can bring it back then they will once again be the best midfield pairing in England.

My point was that, I believe Carrick and Davids will be better than RMK and Scholes were last year.

• Advertisement

well good for you.

after all, youve had a stronger team on paper than us for a few years, but i havent seen that many loses for spurs to pool....

however, as ever, youve managed to turn this into a liverpool type thread, where it really has nothing to do with liverpool.

having said that, if we get davids, i think we will be better than liverpool...

Robinson

Kelly Naybet King/Dawson Edman

Reid Davids Carrick Routledge/Ziegler

Defoe Mido/Keane

That would be my first eleven, with a few options of course, and I have to say, thats a damn strong side.

thats a good team alright. couldn't see kanoute being out of the picture tho, Jol seems to love him! as i said earlier lacking a little going forward in midfield and maybe carrick and davids would just get in each others way a bit since they both work in the same area, but im sure both are good enough to sort something out. Basically ill look forward to seeing how davids fits in. even if he is downhill from his best and only plays ok, he'l still be great to have around the place as a cool experianced head and will boast the whole team with his presence, much as figo would if pool can get him (fingers crossed!)
    I would expect at least 1 good season from him though, as he will have a point to prove in the premiership.

The impact he had at Barcelona when he went there was staggering really, causing the team to move from 5th to almost winning the league. Very impressive.

I dont think they lack anything going forward really, with Reid and Routledge both being very offensive wingers, it might well compliment itself nicely I believe.

Plus Davids likes to get forward a fair bit.

Draupnir wrote:
    Reid Davids Carrick Routledge/Ziegler
    Is that midfield not the wrong way around? I'd have Reid on the left, or Zeigler, and Routledge on the right. I hope to see Tainio play a good few games too as he was impressive in the Peace Cup.

Draupnir wrote:
    Trevor Steven had half the vision and passing ability of Carrick, good player mind I will agree. Neil Webb was very out of his depth at the highest level and David Batty was a second rate player who was blessed to land in the professional game at a time when England werent very good and his Leeds club had Cantona.
    All good players though. Neil Webb or Batty may not have been the classiest of defensive players around, but only in comparison to today, and thats what an influx of foreign players will do.

I think you are particularly harsh in your comments about Batty. Again, not a stunning player to watch, but the lad was pivotal in the league successes of two very unfashionable teams (Leeds/Blackburn), and came close with another (Newcastle). He also won 40+ caps at a time when England reached the SF of EC96 (not to mention being unluckily eliminated at WC98 thanks to the man himself). All this is hardly the blessing of Eric Cantona ;)
    Draupnir wrote:
    I've followed Carricks career from the youths so I have a lot of admiration for him.
    As do I, but I dont think he could cement a place in any of the "top" Premiership teams yet. Its make or break time. This season will be a very important one, for him and his future me thinks. Hes at the age now where he would want to be really showing his worth if he is as good as you say he is.
    well good for you.

after all, youve had a stronger team on paper than us for a few years, but i havent seen that many loses for spurs to pool....

however, as ever, youve managed to turn this into a liverpool type thread, where it really has nothing to do with liverpool.

having said that, if we get davids, i think we will be better than liverpool...
    I fail to see how discussing Spurs's midfield, in light of a potential key signing and previous Summer signings, in comparison to their challengers is turning this into a "Liverpool type thread". If anything it appears to me as one about the merits and expectations of this current Spurs side.

Draupnir wrote:
    Plus Davids likes to get forward a fair bit.
    This is something, in particular in comparison to a player like Keane that Davids has not lost (at least last time I saw him), his incredible engine.

Perhaps hes reaping the benefits of all those "supplements" that the Dutch doctors gave all their players a few years back ;)

As regards Ziegler, I think hes predominantly left footed but can play right, a very good player. Only 21 too AFAIK.

Actually I think he's only 19! And yup he really only plays on the left, though whether he's been groomed for the winger role or a full back I don't know.

Another great prospect though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Davids is in London for his medical today.

I think Carrick will really benefit from having Davids alongside him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement