Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs to sign Davids

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Again, not a stunning player to watch, but the lad was pivotal in the league successes of two very unfashionable teams (Leeds/Blackburn),

i really needed to come back to this point, sorry guys.

if you take a look at the teams he was in at those clubs, his role was simply to break up the opponents play. he never provided any kind of forward ability or passing vision. he simply stood in the centre circle and kicked people up in the air. the best defensive midfielders, in the Makelele, Keane, Vieira mould, can pass, run with the ball and tackle.

At leeds, Batty was surrounded by a very good side. Strachan, Chapman, Cantona, Wallace and Im sure I've missed a few others.

Blackburn won the league that one season because of Sutton and Shearer up front getting great service from Stuart Ripley. Tim Sherwood also had a great year. Batty was never outstanding at anything in that side, except for bashing Le Saux.

Even in his England days, he was blessed to be in good sides. That Euro 96 side was the best England have had for 40 years as a unit. Shearer on form, Seaman playing brilliantly, Gazza on form. At World Cup 98 they played well against Argentina and should maybe have won and who gets them knocked out?

Anyway, on topic, keep your eyes on this topic and save it for the season. I will happily let you remind me of it if Davids and Carrick flop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Another false dawn for Spurs I'd say. One of my best mates is a Spurs fan and he's also harping on about this season we'll be better,etc.

Davids is 32, hes well past it, hasn't played well for 2-3 years. Don't be fooled by the big name teams he's played for in the last few seasons, he never lasts long after they cop on hes not the player he was.

Those glasses he wears serve no purpose whatsoever as the doctors said he needed them for 2 years, that was about 5 years ago.

Good luck to Spurs but it'll be the same old same old 7th or 8th in the League I fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

BolBill wrote:
    Davids is 32, hes well past it, hasn't played well for 2-3 years.
    Barcelona...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Draupnir wrote:
    i really needed to come back to this point, sorry guys.

if you take a look at the teams he was in at those clubs, his role was simply to break up the opponents play. he never provided any kind of forward ability or passing vision. he simply stood in the centre circle and kicked people up in the air. the best defensive midfielders, in the Makelele, Keane, Vieira mould, can pass, run with the ball and tackle.

At leeds, Batty was surrounded by a very good side. Strachan, Chapman, Cantona, Wallace and Im sure I've missed a few others.

Blackburn won the league that one season because of Sutton and Shearer up front getting great service from Stuart Ripley. Tim Sherwood also had a great year. Batty was never outstanding at anything in that side, except for bashing Le Saux.

Even in his England days, he was blessed to be in good sides. That Euro 96 side was the best England have had for 40 years as a unit. Shearer on form, Seaman playing brilliantly, Gazza on form. At World Cup 98 they played well against Argentina and should maybe have won and who gets them knocked out?
    Discussing David Battys ability is another threads work, but if you want to believe that it was just a case of him being in the right place at the right time go ahead. Very few players have league medals at two different clubs, add to that he came close to winning one at Newcastle also.

You also said in a previous post that he was lucky to play internationally "at time when England werent very good", and now you have moved the goal posts to say that it was the best England team for 40 years. You arent "blessed" to consistently play for a good team, you get there if you are a good player.
    Draupnir wrote:
    Anyway, on topic, keep your eyes on this topic and save it for the season. I will happily let you remind me of it if Davids and Carrick flop!
    I will. But Im in a win-win situation here. Ive said that Carrick is a good player, but he has a lot to prove. Id like to see him do that.

You are completely over-hyping the lad. The best English DM you have ever seen???

Going by the link that WWM posted its blatantly obvious that he is far from the finished article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

eirebhoy wrote:
    Barcelona...

He wasn't that good for them, really ! Otherwise they'd have taken him on full time. I mean they took Albertini (another has been) instead !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

BolBill wrote:
    He wasn't that good for them, really ! Otherwise they'd have taken him on full time. I mean they took Albertini (another has been) instead !!!
    Did you see that Barca documentary? Davids was loved at the club. They tried to keep him on but his wages were too high at a time when they were trying to cut the bill.

Some people seem to have a mixed view on Davids mentality

Link

Should be interesting if he does end up signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Inter are dumping him cos they reckon he is always crippled with injuries more time than he can play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Inter are letting him go because he was signed by couper and mancinni hates him with a passion, has done for seasons.
    I think he played less than 10 games last season and had nothing to do with injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

i bet he will be a flop in the EPL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

TBH he is perfectly suited to england.
    he never stops running, is very strong on the ball, great physical presence, very good tackler, a box to box player who never gives up.
    If he signs for spurs he will do well.
    Appaerntly he has a very good relationship with Jol which will also help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Personally I have always been an admirer of Davids. Admittedly, I haven't seen him play for about 2 seasons, but if he is even half the player now as he was I think he will do great things for Tottenham. I think if he does flop, it will be more down to his personality than his football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Going by the link that WWM posted its blatantly obvious that he is far from the finished article.

wasnt a point prover, i just said it was interesting that that article was put up as this discussion was going on.
    apart from the goals, he does as much work at gerrard, but hes defensive, so i wouldnt hold that against him :)
    i agree, he isnt the finished article, but i dont think thats any reason to bahs him.

i think davids will fit in nicely if he signs. i also think that anyone who says spurs are going to be mediocre have been reading the wrong papers.
    there have been so many changes at WHL over the last 12 months.

i think there is every reason for optimism for the coming season.

wasnt a point prover, i just said it was interesting that that article was put up as this discussion was going on.
    apart from the goals, he does as much work at gerrard, but hes defensive, so i wouldnt hold that against him :)
    i agree, he isnt the finished article, but i dont think thats any reason to bahs him.
    True buts a good indication of what the people who see him most think of him. Some interesting stats about shots on target/fouls there too.

I havnt bashed him at all. I think he is an exiting player with bags of potential, he just still has a lot to prove. This season will be crucial, particularly with the WC, which I fully expect him to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Tottenham have completed the signing of Holland international Edgar Davids on a free transfer from Inter Milan.

Advertisement