Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D-Link router with NTL... help!

• 26-07-2005 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, this is my first post out of pure frustration. I thought I knew a bit about computers but this has me tearing my hair out!!!

I have NTL broadband and I purchased a D-Link DI-624+ router to go wireless. I followed the simple instructions and I had it working briefly.

Sometimes, when I try to connect to the internet, IE says "finding site" and then reads "page cannot be displayed". For some reason I keep losing my connection settings or something?! It won't even work when I go back to use the network cable. After a while (hours/days) it comes back ok, but puts me off trying to use wireless.

I think the router is changing the settings and not keeping NTL's ip address. I know they're not static, but what do I need to do to stop the router from altering settings.

I'd love if someone out there is using the exact same equipment and can talk me through it. Pleeeeez :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've had problems with this kind of DLink router before.

Are your problems just on the wireless? Have you tried it using a traditional 100baseT connection?

Also check that you're on the lastest revision of firmware.

I had the Dlink604+ and there was a problem with one of the chips - I had to send it back to the UK to have it fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 daveycrockett

I'm sure it's just the wireless settings. I'm reading all sorts of stuff on the net like removing DHCP or DCHP or something? I just want the damn thing to work each time so I can hide these wires away.

I've been on the phone to NTL and they refuse to help because it's not their equipment. No advice even given! At least they're free to phone. D-Link have no Irish number and it's through the UK, so I'm trying here first with you guys for help...

If someone has setup previously D-Link with NTL and has any thoughts, that'd be great. DublinWriter, I'm not sure what you mean by using a traditional 100baseT connection. All works fine with direct PC to modem link, but when the router gets involved it all gets messed up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

just a suggestion I dont have a dlink router

but when i was setting up my belkin wireless router i had problems getting it to connect on NTL untill i cloned the mac address of the pc to the wireless router it connected after that

It was just an option on the setup of the belkin dont know if it is on the dlink dont even know for sure that is what made it work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

You can do that on the Dlink, don't know if it would make a difference. I have the DI624 (the previous version of the OPs) and my wireledd connection frequently drops. i have to repair the connection in XP. I use a Dlink PCMCIA card, my brother has a dell card and it doesnt seem to drop on his laptop, although i cant be 100% on this. I know that doesnt help one bit, but anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MrPunch

Have you registered the MAC address of the router with NTL?

I got the BB package in last week and bought a linksys wireless set (WRT54g & WMP54g). Nothing would connect properly until I let the router clone the MAC of the standard ethernet card in my machine.

This was the card that was connected to the cable modem during the setup, when the engineer rang home to register a mac. At the time I thought it was just the modems mac that was being used, but it seems the NTL modem passes through the mac from the connected equipment for authentication.

The router you have should hopefully have an option to clone the PCs mac address. Copy over the mac from your machine to the router and with luck you should be away. Check it with:
    start->run->cmd.exe
    ipconfig /all

john

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

yeah i rang NTL tech support and asked if i needed to do anything to get the router connected and they said no it will just connect

but it wouldn't but after i cloned the MAC of the PC that NTL had set up BB on it connected straight away I dont know if it was coincidence or NTL tech support dont know sh*t but my guess is the latter

guys, thanks for all your suggestions. just back after bank holiday weekend, so i'll try figure this out this week.

ntl guy came over last week and gave me a new modem, cause tech support thought that was the problem, but neither him or t.s. knew anything about routers and coudn't/wouldn't help!

the d-link setup does tell you to clone the mac address and i did all that. i'm gonna have a go at it again tomorrow from scratch and see if it works, and i'll finally get rid of these wires for good. will let you know how i get on...

All ok now...
    I spent ages on the phone to D-Link in the UK and we messed arond with different settings, deleted all previous efforts, changed channels and SSID's and eventually it's working now. I just wished these things were a bit more user friendly for a dumbass like me.

Advertisement