Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

open a word document

Options
  • 26-07-2005 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

does anyone know where i would get a password cracker to open a word document

also does anyone knowwhere i would get a cracker to log on to a p.c.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yeah, don't tell anyone else that I gave you this URL Here

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Is this even a programming question.

Ok, seeing as it's in the programming section, I'll give a programming answer. So, to crack it like a programmer, you need to do one of two things - figure out the word format, or you figure out how to use the word dlls (i.e. the libraries).

Either way, when you try and open the file, you'll get jibberish unless you open it with the correct password. However, seeing as you are opening it with a program, you determine the password.

You now have two choices - you can assume the password is in the dictionary, and take use entries in a dictionary file (google for that - they're just megabytes upon megabytes of words), using different capitalisations (if the word is an 8 letter word, you have 2^8 - or 256 - different capitalisations to try). Or you can brute force it - try every permutation of allowable character in the password (Let's assume 26 lower case letters, 26 upper case letters, 10 numeric characters, and let's say about 10 non-alphanumeric allowable characters - that amounts to 72 characters to try if the password is one character long. Then 72*72 if the password is 2 characters. Each character it is, it is multiplied by 72)

So a good method is to run through all the dictionary words, and then work on mutations of those, then all the rest of the brute force.

But that's only if you want the programming method.

As for logins. It's not too dissimilar, but generally to log in, you need to be logged in to run your cracker... you see the dilemma here?

Take care,
    Phantom Beaker

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mike_Hunt

Is its just a password preventing you from editing the doc then its unbelieveably easy and probably a flaw in office.

Open a new doc and go to Insert --> File and insert the password protected doc.

You should now be able to edit it. But note that you will lose any macros.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

coolio_64 wrote:
    does anyone know where i would get a password cracker to open a word document

For the word document you'd need to get the authors approval because of copyright reasons, as the Harry Potter thing in Canada showed, you may not be entitled to read a document even after purchasing it.

You could look the source of OpenOffice for handling word passwords. Then you simply match that with your password guessing algorithm. You could even password protect a known document using different passwords or simple changes in the doc to figure out what is happening.

As for asking for a cracker to log on to a PC, would you like to be banned ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

so anyone got a cracker that i can use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

coolio_64 wrote:

Is the PC formatted with NTFS? If not just get a dos floppy and delete the main password cache which clears the Admin password.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

logic wrote:
    lmao

seriously thats what I was feeling. LOL.. :D

can anyone put up an example of a word document and show how to get by opening it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

What document are you looking to crack and where did you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Based on past trends, his next post will be to ask someone to crack the document for him and, by the way, would you mind cracking this PC for me while you're at it?

Ah, deary me. <Finally stops laughing and wipes tears from eyes>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

coolio_64 wrote:
    can anyone put up an example of a word document and show how to get by opening it.
    @liamo - Yeah with this one I was sooo tempted to put up an unencrypted one and just say 'double click on it'

[edit]damn my crap grammer and vague sentences!

funny!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

All ways good to find entertainment in the programming forum :D

Advertisement