Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9V power inverter?

Options
  • 26-07-2005 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if its possable too get a power inverter that can power mains powered things, that works off say 9v batteries or D size batteries, basicly any one that runs off the run of the mill batteries from the local spar rather than from a car battery?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

um, i not sure, but i've never heard of anyone powering a desktop rig off a couple of D batteries...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Well the thing is its not actually for powering a computer I just thought this would be the best place to ask. Its for powering a guitar amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wavin

Well the thing is its not actually for powering a computer I just thought this would be the best place to ask. Its for powering a guitar amp.

you can alright, although dont know how long a battery would last with a small battery.http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15329&item=7989433669&rd=1 is on ebay, i think would do the job

Thats not exactly what I was looking for that only works off 12v, you need to plug it into a car cigarette lighter Im looking for one you put batteries into i.e. AA or D or 9v etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

would it not be easier to just buy a battery powered guitar amp? like this

guitar amps would run at a relatively low voltage, like 9v or 12v anyway, so converting to 240v ac and then back to 12v dc would result in considerable power loss and probably drain the batteries within a couple of minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

68 Lost Souls

What exactly are you trying to do?
    Generating a 220V AC voltage from a low-voltage DC supply using home-built bits is dodgey enough, and the output quality is proportional to the cost of components (generally).

There's a reason APC can charge so much for their UPSes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

There are 12v AC inverters that can give you 3Amps from a car battery.
    A bunch of regular D batteries(a thousand) will never be able to power mains AC. Both because you willl have to convert it to AC and that the stepping up is way too big.
    Crappy dry batteries will never do the job. However, perhaps a small motorbike one would work, as these are real lead acid batteries.

However, what you are looking for is easily available online
    http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-AMP-CAN-GUITAR-AMP-PORTABLE-LOUD-RECHARGABLE_W0QQitemZ7341058996QQcategoryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    It will be much easier, safer, and most likely cheaper to buy on eof these..

I was just trying to see if there was a way to power the amp I already had using batteries as it is pretty loud and I love it it would be a great amp to busk with. Ill probably go out and buy one of these now instead.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=7&subcatid=32&prodid=Micro+Cube

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement