Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoardsBeep

Options
  • 26-07-2005 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

In edit profile...

BoardsBeep
    Your mobile phone number! (must be irish, leave blank to opt out)

What is?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

aye i noticed this today aswell, maybe it's too alert you of your subscriptions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

No idea. Good question. Is it a boards sms newsletter?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i think tyhey store it for perverted reasons and so as to call their favourite members.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Yeah it must be a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

holy crap four replies at the same time :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, I just noticed this myself today actually...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

we are good.typing.yes.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It appears in one's public profile, so I will opt out for the mo....

(Actually, scratch that. It appears for me, but I'm special.) Can anyone else see steveland's number in his public profile?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

This is a little experiment by Regi (this time it does have have money grubbing motives) to provide a new service for boards members, but it's just at the "what if" stage right now so you can safely ignore it :)

(I don't want to elaborate since it's not my baby and nothing might come of it).

no i can't but i did see his date of birth. TEENAGER!

• Advertisement

ecksor
    A chrome nine jolly
    oh. my. god. ;) and no our numbers are safely in you and your ilks special hands :)

edit ..aww back to 0 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

:eek:

seamus has my mobile number...

Time to remove it... also if it's going to cost me money......

''this time it does have have money grubbing motives''

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

steveland? wrote:
    seamus has my mobile number...
    Don't worry, the only ones we'd torment are the ones who set out to get banned, but for whatever reason put their mobile number in the profile. There's always one.

Seriously though, whenever Regi goes live with this, I suspect he will restrict access to the info further, "need to know", etc. So don't worry. :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've no idea what this is. Hmmmm...you'd think I would wouldnt you. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

DeVore wrote:

DeV.

yeah sure you dont, trying to cover up your ideas are ya :D

DeVore wrote:

DeV.
    Maybe he told you before a trip to meet up with some... ladies of the night in Vegas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Its something I'm playing with at the moment. That profile field is private - no one can view it bar you. You would sign up for it by popping your number in there. Then you can send an sms to a user on boards (provided they've put their number in there too), whilst keeping your number and their number private.

You'd type something like 'msg steveland? how's it going?'. Steveland would then get an SMS saying 'msg from regi: how's it going?'. Both sides would need to be in for it to work.

Anyway, as ecksor says, its really in the 'what if' phase. I'm just checking it out to see if its a viable thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

That sounds pretty damn cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

well if you need any volunteers....bloody curiosity
    /me sticks hand up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Me too..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

RuggieBear wrote:
    bloody curiosity

ruggie
    I can really see you in curlers, gossiping across the fence to your neighbour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Beruthiel wrote:
    ruggie
    I can really see you in curlers, gossiping across the fence to your neighbour :D

That's my aspiration.

damn i like it...now i can stop pmng people my number;)

I'll help beta test it if it doesn't cost anything... regi's already proven to me he doesn't want my money

regi /ano

how would you send the sms?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

incorporating a webtext based program, quite like what i use for my o2 sms a plugin for office outlook that sends sms messages over the internet to mobile phones and your number pops up.

so we'd send them using our own accounts? sounds like a clever plugin he's putting together.

i thought he would have got some "free" web text thingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Costs 25p to send a message and 7p goes to boards if thats the system they using.

http://www.bbgossip.com/donations.asp

This place has it up and running in a sad Big Brother sense :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

steveland? wrote:
    I'll help beta test it if it doesn't cost anything... regi's already proven to me he doesn't want my money

We do want your money, we're just very confusing about how we try to get it out of you.

Advertisement