Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoardsBeep

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DeVore wrote:
    I've no idea what this is. Hmmmm...you'd think I would wouldnt you. :)
    It'll make Glenstalling noobs so much quicker and more fun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Well, ICQ offer a free text service to IRL mobiles, perhaps boards could incorporate something like this into the site?
    Where the sender can only send a message to people who have them listed as a buddy, and neither party actually gets to see each others phone number.
    Or something.
    /me throws hat into ring-of-unknown-sexy-betatesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Well, ICQ offer a free text service to IRL mobiles, perhaps boards could incorporate something like this into the site?
    What is it about the phrase “doing it for the money” that people have difficulty comprehending?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

I second that that sounds lik it could turn into somethin deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I don't think we want a plugin to kill people....

Though the admins do have strange agendas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Brilliant idea Regi! I'm in :)

If this could be rigged to work from mobile to mobile via the boards network, it'd be brilliant for Boards Beers, the For Sale forums etc.

One feature that would be needed though is to make sure it takes account of your ignore lists.

And you might need to Bubbles-proof it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Would this not have the huge side effect of allowing Boards population of muppets, of which I may be a part :), to set themselves up for the service and then send wide ranging abusive texts to pretty much anyone else signed up for it?

Maybe Ive missed a part of the concept, and forgive me if you have already thought of this, but the system will probably need an "allowed list" of users that I am willing to take SMS's from? Rather than just being open season.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I think the law takes a dim view of sending abusive text messages.

Yup, Im sure it does, to a degree. But of course, I could also go into town, but a SIM card for 15 quid and use it as my number on Boards. Use said number to then spam the arse of someone or else abuse/threaten/stalk someone.

Just a concern and I thought it might be useful of me to point it out.

This seems like a fantastic idea to me though and would extend Boards community to a completely different medium. I think you would just need to be careful since it has moderation issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Eh. You can sign up with any number of free web services and send all the abusive SMS'es that you like, If thats your thing.
    In my opinion, this system would leave the users far more accountable for their actions than any of these free www sites. I assume payment would have to be made by paypal/cc/etc. This would mean that any abuse would be almost immediately traced back to the actual person, not just a username.
    Tbh, I think abuse of the system will be *almost* a non-issue.

• Advertisement

Like I say, just pointing it out. I agree that its more than likely a non issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

How can anyone point anything out if you don't have a bog's notion what it is in actuality?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

CHOOO CHOOOO.... This threads next stop: Derailment!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

will you text me when someone replies to my threads?
    ill pay you to....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Chalk wrote:
    will you text me when someone replies to my threads?
    ill pay you to....

if you have a 3g phone and money to burn you could read the email alerts for posts on the phone...not sure how many lines of a post comes up in the email tho...

Advertisement