Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoIP newcomer queries

Options
  • 26-07-2005 11:24pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a few questions that I know I should go to the VoIP providers first with, but a few more general ones that someone here might be able to help me with.

I'm starting to look into the idea of a VOiP connection for the house, and the blueface UK and Ireland deal is probably the best one for my set up at the moment. Now, if I switched to blueface (or any VoIP service for that matter) would I still have to pay line rental? My BB service is with Esat and so runs through the phone line, but does line rental only cover voice calls or is it for any use of the service at all. In other words would I need to switch to a wireless package or get Smarts free line rental deal to be free of LR charges?
    Secondly, I see in the stickies that Esat and Eircom are due to launch their own VoIP services soon, I wouldn't expect people here to know prices and packages, but when are the services expected to launch? is it rational to think before christmas?

If I can drop my line rental charges then I dont see why a move to VoIP isn't a rational one, after all the cost of the blueface package is the same as my line rental charge!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

If you can move to cable BB this would be optimum. You can get business only DSL from ESAT but as it stands if you are a residential DSL user you have to pay line rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Nocturnal

well i have broadband from bt and i just bought a voip usb phone off the net,set up skype on my computer and it works perfectly,why not just take this option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

flogen wrote:
    Now, if I switched to blueface (or any VoIP service for that matter) would I still have to pay line rental? My BB service is with Esat and so runs through the phone line, but does line rental only cover voice calls or is it for any use of the service at all.
    Generally speaking, once you use the line for anything you have to pay line rental.
    In other words would I need to switch to a wireless package or get Smarts free line rental deal to be free of LR charges?
    Smart, or a cable or wireless provider. Cable is king.
    Secondly, I see in the stickies that Esat and Eircom are due to launch their own VoIP services soon, I wouldn't expect people here to know prices and packages, but when are the services expected to launch? is it rational to think before christmas?
    Can't say for sure but other providers have said Q3 for VoIP. There is the option of the Pay-as-you-go and the trials offered by both blueface.ie and skytel.ie.
    If you do jump they both use 1 monthly subscriptions (no year contract required) so the hassle is getting your number ported back and forward if you decide to change to blueface/skytel and then back to another VoIP provider later in the year.
    If I can drop my line rental charges then I dont see why a move to VoIP isn't a rational one, after all the cost of the blueface package is the same as my line rental charge!
    They're not the same: Prices including VAT, Line rental = €25, blueface Irl/UK unltd = €15 - if that's the same to you then you can give me €10 per month (that'll pay my blueface subscription) :D

hth,
    causal

Advertisement