Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats the best?

Options
  • 27-07-2005 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Whats the best car for an 18 year starting off, keeping in mind cheap insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

i hear fisher price do a nice red model with blue go fast stripes, insurance is thrown in too iirc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

dmck2886 wrote:
    Whats the best car for an 18 year starting off, keeping in mind cheap insurance?

fiesta
    punto

etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

would be good to have a sticky on this if there werent already so many stickies on this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i got a polo for my first car. they are really great to drive and also insurance is cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Can i Recommend the Hyundai Getz 1.1 mmm.... the 1.3 is better, very liable car, cheap to maintain, cheap to service, cheap to buy, it has the longest warranty of all car makers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats your budget? I'd go for a late 90s Micra. The 1 ltr GX is incredibly commen so no probs finding a good one. Pay anywhere around 3.5-4.5 thousand from a dealer.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Might be worth looking for a mid 1990s Fiesta or Polo. Should be able to pick them up for a few grand these days.

I think the most expensive thing will be the price of insurance. Insurance for an 18 year old male is going to be high and will probably cost more than you paid for the car. They will be insuring you against what you hit rather than what you drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

I just got a 1998 Micra import. They have sooo many more features than the other ones. Mine has electric everything, and airconditioning.

Sure it's a 1.0l but I travel on the motorway daily and I have no problem keeping up.

My insurance is very reasonable and petrol costs are good. It's in great shape too... had 60000 kms on it when I bought it and the boot looks like it was never opened.

Paid €5000 incl NCT, VRT and sorting out the stereo. It had a mini disc player in it.

Advertisement