Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions re extensions.

Options
  • 27-07-2005 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

1. Can anybody recommend a good builder in northside Dublin for an extension?

2. Can anybody recommend an architect/draughtsman for advice on best options and best use of new/existing space re layout etc?

3. When talking about the pitch of a lean to roof what exactly does this refer to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JimiMac wrote:
    Recommend, no. ;)
    2. Can anybody recommend an architect/draughtsman for advice on best options and best use of new/existing space re layout etc?
    Recommend, no. ;)
    3. When talking about the pitch of a lean to roof what exactly does this refer to?
    The slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Yes, I kinda guessed it was the slope but is this the angle from the horizontal and if so, how many degrees?
    Or, put another way, if you want to go out 10' how much wall height do you need under the window for the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It depends on what type of roof is going on it. For normal roof tiles you'd want at least 20 degrees. Your roof will form a right angle triangle so Pythagoras' theorem will give you the rest of the dimensions (the square of the hyptheneuse [long side] is equal to the sum of the square of the other two sides). That will require a bit of trial and error. If you're handy with your log tables (unlike me!) you could figure it out just from one side and the angles you know.

I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

JimiMac wrote:

Hi
    I dont want to give out names and numbers on the net pm me and i can give them to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

I'm a qualified architectural technician, and i wouldn't have any problems coming out and looking at the job as i live in north dublin also, PM me for further details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The recommended slope for concrete tiles is now 25 degrees, it used to be as low as 17.5 but unless the tile was spefically designed for low slope / pitch they are leaking today, many people have homes with roofs that are leaking they just don't know it yet.

As a rough guide I would recommend not less than six foot six inches between the ceiling height and the bottom of the window cill, you can go lower but not by much using traditional roofing materials and methods.

There are new systems that claim to be equal to a tiled roof but in my view opinion at least a flat / low slope roof is honest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Thanks Pete for a definitive answer.

JimiMac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 boo boo

good guy just did two friends extensions in santry area. i'll get you his details if you like

Advertisement