Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Essien to chelsea for £23m today??

• 27-07-2005 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭

Confirmed today that Micheal Essien has gone to chelsea for £23m

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

a lot of hype about him but I dont know if he is going to be as good as they make out. Still Chelski look like they are going to win everything this season (or should do with that squad)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

You should really post a link or some other proof for stuff like this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2005/07/27/sfnche27.xml&sSheet=/sport/2005/07/27/ixfooty.html

Maybe not? http://www.football.co.uk/chelsea/story_12484.shtml

Nothing on soccernet.com, or BBC yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

a lot of hype about him but I dont know if he is going to be as good as they make out. Still Chelski look like they are going to win everything this season (or should do with that squad)

I dont think chelsea will win everything , i think they will be lucky to win the league second year running, and the champions league will be priority, which leaves the league second best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There is nothing to suggest that anything has changed.

Lyon catagorically stated they wanted 30 million for him, and they seem to still have not gotten it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

tel922001 wrote:
    Confirmed today that Micheal Essien has gone to chelsea for £23m
    Um....no he hasn't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Can I please ask where you got your information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Chelsea win everything no way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Essien has not signed for Chelsea yet. Lyon are still holding out for more money.

Don't start a thread saying a player has signed for a club unless you have proof

i heard this on 3 different radio station this morning , hench why i posted it so early, sports news on today fm and 2fm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Title of thread changed as it was misleading. I'll leave it up to the original poster to edit his post if he wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

talla wrote:
    Title of thread changed as it was misleading. I'll leave it up to the original poster to edit his post if he wishes.
    Thanks talla. I thought he had actually signed after reading the thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I could take or leave Essien, not too gone on the idea of signing him, I'm not sure where he fits in to be honest. Jose's transfer market strategy has been a bit puzzling to be honest, he keeps missing his top targets, and then he swings out wildly. But I think most people would have to appreciate his ability to get players doing what he wants them to do, no matter who they are.

Lads im only repeating what i heard thats why the ?? marks are there , i heard it on the radio very early this morning i was hoping someone else would have heard it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

As has been pointed out several times to you in this thread, Chelsea has not signed Essien yet. I appreciate you may of heard it on the radio this morning but it was obviously incorrect. The original title was misleading, therfore that is why the question marks were added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i'd say its close to a done deal. Chelsea are gonna walk the title next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well Kenyon is in France negotiating atm and Essien will not play in the French equivalent to the charity shield this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Chelsea are gonna walk the title next season.

That's what everyone said the year United signed Veron. The league will be tougher next season with Liverpools renewed confidence and strengthened squad and Spurs will be no pushover either. Having too many players competing for so few places can lead to unrest in the squad and be detrimental to performance over a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I don't think there is much doubt that Chelsea will sign him.
    But as of yet it's all speculation.
    Kenyon I don't think will go to £30 million for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote:
    That's what everyone said the year United signed Veron. The league will be tougher next season with Liverpools renewed confidence and strengthened squad and Spurs will be no pushover either. Having too many players competing for so few places can lead to unrest in the squad and be detrimental to performance over a season.

come now, lets be realistic.

Chealsea have already signed del horno, SWP, and 99% likely essien. The chance of essien not performing like veron is extremely slim. He seems to be a massive fan of the EPL. Also, the french league would be more like the english then the italian is.

Arsenal's squad has been weakened i feel. United's has aswell. I dont see where united have made up the 18 points, i think the gap will increase even. Same with arsenal. Now i can see the gap from 2 to 4th and finish getting alot smaller. I still think chelsea will walk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

come now, lets be realistic.

Chealsea have already signed del horno, SWP, and 99% likely essien. The chance of essien not performing like veron is extremely slim. He seems to be a massive fan of the EPL. Also, the french league would be more like the english then the italian is.

Arsenal's squad has been weakened i feel. United's has aswell. I dont see where united have made up the 18 points, i think the gap will increase even. Same with arsenal. Now i can see the gap from 2 to 4th and finish getting alot smaller. I still think chelsea will walk it.
    Don't forget that retaining the title is harder than winning it. The rest of the clubs are obviously going to raise their games because they are the champions, and everyone now knows how strong they've become. Arsenal and United won't underestimate them this season, like they might have done a bit last season.
    As for squad comparisons--going from man to man between Chelsea, United and Arsenal, I feel it's still very close. I don't see any games between any of the three to end in a huge victory for any of them.

Anyway, getting back on topic a little.......Essien has great potential, but looking at him this year in the Champion's League, he's not someone I'd go near 30 million for...not yet anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement