Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send tv signal through electric wiring?

Options
  • 27-07-2005 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Ok, here is my problem - just moved into a new house. My NTL output is downstairs and my only tv is upstairs. I don't really want to run cables all the way upstairs to get the signal. I was sure that a few years ago I saw a device which allowed you to pipe the tv signal through the mains wiring so that you can just use a special plug (which has a coaxial output) at any wall socket in the house and you would have a signal. Was I dreaming? I know this defintely exists for piping an internet connect around the house.
    Failing that, what other wireless options are there? Remember I have basic ntl (not digital) and I would like all the available channels on the tv, not just one at a time.

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Electrical wiring isn't twisted pair so rejects no interference. Also it picks up all the interference like baby monitors in the estate. Yes it might be possible but I'd be vary dubvious of the quality of it.

You'd probably be better off with a wireless video sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

just finished my final electronic engineering project on a device to do exactly what you are looking for.

ill sell you my thesis if you want you can build your own

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Wow, so does that mean that such a device is not already on the market?

Did you actually build and test your device and if so, how successful was it?

Surely this is your path to fame and fortune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

eoinf wrote:
    just finished my final electronic engineering project on a device to do exactly what you are looking for.

ill sell you my thesis if you want you can build your own

Eoinf....see if you can get a patent for it before you submit the project....otherwise people can use your research with no reward for yourself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sounds like a great idea. defo patent it though, if someone then goes out and makes it besed on your idea you can claim loads of royalties.

i've thought of loads of things over the years which would be great but never did anything about it. some of them have since been amde into commercial products and sold millions and i'm still poor.

airwaves chewing gum is one thing. thought of it about 4 years before it was brought out. could have made a fortune (maybe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

the device originally sent four differnet audio signals on four different frequencys through the mains cable.This allowed users to hook up speaker in other rooms and select which device they wanted to listen to(cd dvd radio & a second cd player just for test purposes) just by selecting a different frequency on the reciever. I then modified it to take in the rf coaxial signal at frquencys correponding to the frequencys the tv stations are broadcast on. I got this working for two different frequencys hence allowing two differnet tv stations to be viewed without haveing to do any additional switching at the transmitter or reciever.Im sure with more time and a little further circuitry the unit should be able to handle multiple rf frequencys. there was little interfernece because i used extenxsive filtering .Also the frequencys i was using are much higher than the 50/60hz mains frequency .

I cant patent the product as i was using well known and vastly used broadcasting techniques.A similar technique is used for broadband internet sending multiple packets of data on multiple frequencys down the one cable.

also any patent sought would be owned by the college and not by myself.

sorry to bore you ,
    but thats how it was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

thorsmann the crowd that make the wall plugs for screws are designing a system that broadcasts tv telephone and internet over mains cables, last time we got a publication review was about a year ago, so im not sure if its still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Maybe I'm wrong, but I know that Thorsman (part of the Schneider group) have one that uses CAt5e cabling, not sure about power cables though?.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Stoner wrote:
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I know that Thorsman (part of the Schneider group) have one that uses CAt5e cabling, not sure about power cables though?.

yeah seen the cat5 cable one aswell, afaik they made a single outlet that then had 3 connectors on it in rj45 rj11 and the sat f connector.

yeah they had a plan for the mains but i have a feeling they scapped it because we've heard no more of it, the cat5 option is advertised now in some mags at the moment. like ERT and risk manager.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, that Cat5e thing seems interesting. I wonder how effective it is. Could be beneficial to new homes being built, though, I'd probably just run both coaxial and Cat5e to various rooms in the house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement