Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house - Moving companies & Supplies?

• 27-07-2005 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I'm due to move house next week and trying to make a final decision on if/how much of the moving we will do ourselves.

Moving out of a 3 bed semi, only myself, herself and a 16 month old kid so the house isn't full to the rafters or anything. I'm looking for opinions on any or all of the following:

Moving services - We're only moving about 200 yards, to a bigger house in the same estate. Options are a full moving service, a trailer moving service like this one , or get a van and do the whole lot ourselves. Any experiences and ideas of cost would be appreciated.

Storage - We will probably move in with my folks for a week or two while we get wooden floors, curtains and blinds sorted out. We would be looking at putting one or two double beds, a three piece suite, a couple of coffee tables, chests of drawers and a load of boxes into storage for a week or two. Again, ideas of cost would be nice. Also, do you need to deliver the stuff to the storage facility yourself or will they do it for you?

Any other hints and tips to ensure a smooth move would also be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Depends on how much you like a bit of lift and carrying!! I would say get a van, what u talking 30 euro per day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I used UPak last year and there are very good, dealt with a guy called Richard.
    1800 668464.

I found him very flexible and professional, just can't remember the cost off the top of my head but very good value at the time.

Redman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

yop wrote:
    Depends on how much you like a bit of lift and carrying!! I would say get a van, what u talking 30 euro per day?
    Van would set you back about €120/day

If you haven't got a full house and you are only 200yds away and you can get a couple friends to help out, then a van would work out cheap for the big stuff. Use the cars for all the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Spoke to Richard in Upak this afternoon. Two guys and a large van for €80/hour + VAT and he reckons a three bed semi won't take more than three or four hours, especially given the distance involved. Sounds very reasonable to me seeing as the move will be on a weekday when all my helpers will be in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

milltown wrote:
    Spoke to Richard in Upak this afternoon. Two guys and a large van for €80/hour + VAT and he reckons a three bed semi won't take more than three or four hours, especially given the distance involved. Sounds very reasonable to me seeing as the move will be on a weekday when all my helpers will be in work.
    Bargain....take it. Try have as much of the stuff ready for them if you can so they are not there for any longer than they need to be. I wonder will they speak english for that price??? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement