Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank account number + sort code

Options
  • 27-07-2005 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum or not!
    Just wondering is there any danger in giving your bank account number + sort code to a stranger so they can deposit money into your account? Could this information potentially be used by them to do a con job or anything like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i do it all the time on boards,
    usually deposing money, not receiving it tho.

i suppose someone could pretend to be you to withdraw money,
    but the last time i tried to withdraw money from my own account, in my own branch,
    i was asked for a passport, so i guess it might be tricky.

i dont know if theres a danger of identity theft, etc.
    it could be used as part of something else,
    say if they had a copy of your birth cert / bill with proof of address also.
    but im not completely sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's a minimal risk tbh. An account number and a bank code are of little use if you can't prove who you are.

I know I have to produce a passport in most banks when dealing with my accounts, the only exception is the one back where my parents live. The people working there, literally have known me since I was little. But I still would occasionally be asked for ID there.

There is always a risk when you give out personal details although to be perfectly honest, in this day and age it's not very hard to find them out about a person if you really want to. A lot of effort is required, but it's doeable.

I'm also moving this to economics/business/finance. It will get more replies there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Everyone that you've ever paid by cheque has your bank account & sort code - I wouldn't flash it around liberally, but there is minimal risk involved. Having said that, be careful as to why a 'stranger' would really need this. Is the stranger reputable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Ok thanks, I'm reassured that its reasonably safe so, by a "stranger" i mean someone I don't know that I could be selling something to through boards or buy and sell, something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

comet wrote:
    Ok thanks, I'm reassured that its reasonably safe so, by a "stranger" i mean someone I don't know that I could be selling something to through boards or buy and sell, something like that.
    Is there a good reason why you'd need to give them your bank account - Why not cash or cheque or draft instead?

• Advertisement

Yeah I suppose that would be the safest option alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You can do nothing with a bank account number and sort code. These are used every day in the open. Companies even publish them on websites and company literature.
    All someone could do it maliciously lodge money to your account. The Baxterds.

:D lol

Advertisement