Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo upgared info wanted ('bit of a noob)

Options
  • 27-07-2005 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Hi lads' n' ladettes,

Right, I've decided it's time to jazz up my rig some, but I'm not sure what to do or even what to look for, so... before taking a screwdriver to the case and having a good 'ole look-see for myself, I though I'd post here andask if anyone is familiar with a "Diablo UL6E" (=Asus K8N8X-LA PES) MoBo.

The rig's an HP 540t.uk and in that, I have an AMD64 3000+, 512 RAM DDR (don't know speed, stock so I imagine it's not the fastest) and -the worst- a 128MB ATI 9200SE. Can't even find out if it's AGP or PCI or what (properties in "system" shows it's in PCI Slot 1 :confused: ). I know there's an 8x AGP slot.

So, what I'd like to know above all, pretty please is - what kind of (better) graphics card can I put in that ?
    What's all this PCI-Express I keep seeing around ?
    And am I right in assuming it's 800 FSB and that DDR 3200 RAM will work in that (I know there's two slots and apparently it'll only take a Gig of it max) ?

Thanks in advance for your posts, and please bear in mind I ain't got thousands or even many hundreds to spend on a new rig :o - just want it to run Far Cry ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You'll need a 9800 (Pro) to run Far Cry to be honest. If there is an AGP slot just buy a new/secondhand AGP card. Pop it in and Bob's yer uncle.

FSB is 200Mhz though, not 800. And PC3200 RAM will work in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Thanks WizZard, much appreciated.

BTW, where did you get info about FSB?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ambro25 wrote:

BTW, where did you get info about FSB?

fsb on athlon 64's isnt 800, you are probably thinking of intel p4's

Advertisement