Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steelwork

Options
  • 27-07-2005 10:43am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

in planning stages of a direct-labour extension and need an engineer to specify the steel work needed for to support the back of the house for an open plan room.

Steel work only:
    who exactly do I need to do this and to cert it ?
    What sort of cost is involved in getting the eng ?
    Any contacts in the meath area ?

thx

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ring and ask who ever is doing ur house insurance to see what kind of certs u need and who needs to cert them.

As for the steel desgin can you post a cad drawing or something?

if your anyway inclined get BS 5950 Pt 1(and anything you can find retlated to it) out of the library and have a quick read. You maybe able to size them your self.

If not post up any info you have and if I've time I'll have a quick look over it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Thx ,
    I do not have cad drawings of what needs to be done.
    Plans are being drawn as I type.

We have a standard 3 bedroom semi - looking at the back of the house it is 6.5m wide. We plan on putting in the RSJ just above the two downstairs windows.
    This will support the remaining 9" cavity block wall -approx 9 foot high and the tiles roof on top.

just mainly looking for steel size --- will it be 203/203/71 or something twice the size.
    Only have about 12" to work with.

thx

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'll post up an extract of the Blue book which will have spans & bending moments.

Havent done much work on houses but i'll have a look in work tomorrow & see what I can do with the info there.

Advertisement