Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

are alloys counted as a modification by insurers?

Options
  • 27-07-2005 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Ive been offered a bmw 318 for a decent price but the alloys on it are rubbish.
    If I decide to take it I would plan to replace the alloys with a set of m3 evo 17" alloys.

Will this count as a modification for the insurers?

The insurance quote I got on it is already pretty steep.
    I reckon I would rule out the car completely if it was made any higher becuase of a new set of alloys...

thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

If you include the value of the new alloys in the approximation of the value of the car that you declare to the insurance company, then it may make a small difference. If I were you though, I wouldn't declare the extra value and it won't make any difference at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In theory - Yes! Making any changes to the car, whether mechanical (e.g. K&N filter, turbo. etc.) or cosmetic (e.g. kit, alloys, ICE, tinted windows) all alter the insurance risk of the car and your company will have a clause in the policy that instructs you to inform them of any changes.
    However, the alloys may not make much (if any) of a price difference to your policy. get a set of good locking nuts also and tell them this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

NO!

its only performance upgrades Turbos etc that directly alter the power of engine, dont be stupid and say (to INS Co.) i'm spending 1500(or whatever) on new 17' alloys and tyres, will u add this to the valueation of my car?.

Insurance company will say:
    1) fine thats an extra few hundred on top of your quote(every year)
    2) u want to put new 17' alloys on your car, u must be a boy racer, i'm sorry we cant quote u anymore

Dont say anything. People already pay way too much for insurance anyway and seem to allow Insurance companies charge them way over the odds because they know Irish ppl are mugs who will pay thru the nose to drive.

+u probably are covered (with the 17's), but get this checked independantly with a solicitor with insurance exp.

UK drivers (in their 20s) think £400+ is expensive for insurance.
    >>Rip off Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

normally modifications are considered unneccesary upgrades to the car which aren't really required for the normal function of the Auto.
    Alloys, as long as they are normal ones, meaning no flasy dangly bits on them SHOULD not increase the cost of the insurance.
    I can't say for sure if this is the same in Ireland as I dealt in Germany with this stuff.
    but as corben said.
    just don't mention them

NO!

its only performance upgrades Turbos etc that directly alter the power of engine, dont be stupid and say (to INS Co.) i'm spending 1500(or whatever) on new 17' alloys and tyres, will u add this to the valueation of my car?.
    Any changes from the state declared in the proposal need to be declared. Whether it is engine (chip, filter, uprated exhaust, cams, whatever.), other mechanical (lowered/stiffened suspension, stiffer anti roll bars, strut brace, etc.) or cosmetic (as already mentioned).
    Adding alloys, in this case of a different radius, and therefore with low profile tyres changes the theft risk of the car and therefore should (as instructed in your policy) be told to the insurance company.

Now, if you don't declare the mods (like most Irish people) will you be punished by your insurance company? Probably not, but it is their decision!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It really depends.

If the aftermarket alloys are damaged beyond repair when your car was involved in an accident and you didn't disclose them to the insurance company, then they will not be replaced by the insurance company as they were not part of the original spec of the car.

Also the same applies if the aftermarket alloys are stolen from your car, you cannot make a claim against your insurance company if you did not disclose this information to them.

Same theory as with an upgraded car stereo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

alloys should not increase the quote. the best thing is call up your insurance company as they would have a definate answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The M3 alloys would have been available from new on your car, and are a factory fitted option, so I don't think theres any need to inform them. Its akin to informing them that you have a sunroof imo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

if there is ever any questions just play dumb and say they were on the car when you got them and you thought they were original.

kdevitt wrote:
    The M3 alloys would have been available from new on your car, and are a factory fitted option, so I don't think theres any need to inform them. Its akin to informing them that you have a sunroof imo...
    True, Ken, but this is always checkable by giving the VIN to the dealer!

• Advertisement
Advertisement