Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled with UTV yet bound to UTV Talk???

• 27-07-2005 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

First post on the board and have tried searching but keep getting a blank page returned - so if anyone can give some info on moving away from UTV - its most welcome.

I tried the three months free and got the email in saying the period is to expire and monthly charge to begin.

Now I emailed to say Im cancelling and got the confirming email back but also to tell me that my UTV Talk package is a 12 month contract and it will end April 06.

Does this affect me moving to someone else as I've been paying Eircom for the line rental for those three months? Now my calls go through UTV. What if I went with line rental & broadband to someone else?

I am sending back the modem to UTV as well.

Before I ring UTV to query this Id like to know if someone else has gone through this and their experience so I know more of the situation beforehand.

Any info is appreciated.

Regards

Vic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

You should have no problem getting BT/Digiweb or Netsource...though Im unsure about eircom.

So they get their money back one way or another with that free trial of DSL by pushing you into a 12month voice package!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 viccirc

Cheers for the reply Zuma.

I just dont want to be forced into something by UTV when I wasnt aware of it or not made aware of it.

So I have checked the emails sent by UTV and the first email (Information about your application for Clicksilver Broadband) pre-activation had :

"Please note: This email confirms that you have also applied for the UTV
    Internet home phone service which is bundled with UTV Clicksilver. You
    have authorised UTV Internet to activate this service on your behalf."

The activation email didnt mention UTV phone and just checked the Terms & Conditions at:

http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/tandc_upto_20050701.asp
    http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/promotandc_upto20050701.asp

has :

"5.1 You agree to use UTV Internet as your voice telephony provider and agree that your voice calls will be billed directly by UTV Internet."

I dont have any indication that this was for a 12 month contract also as they hadnt taken over the line rental for the trial period. I may have missed it but for clarification I have contacted UTV for an update on this.

Anyone with any experience of this if they could post it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Vic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

viccirc wrote:
    Cheers for the reply Zuma.

I just dont want to be forced into something by UTV when I wasnt aware of it or not made aware of it.

So I have checked the emails sent by UTV and the first email (Information about your application for Clicksilver Broadband) pre-activation had :

"Please note: This email confirms that you have also applied for the UTV
    Internet home phone service which is bundled with UTV Clicksilver. You
    have authorised UTV Internet to activate this service on your behalf."

The activation email didnt mention UTV phone and just checked the Terms & Conditions at:

http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/tandc_upto_20050701.asp
    http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/promotandc_upto20050701.asp

has :

"5.1 You agree to use UTV Internet as your voice telephony provider and agree that your voice calls will be billed directly by UTV Internet."

I dont have any indication that this was for a 12 month contract also as they hadnt taken over the line rental for the trial period. I may have missed it but for clarification I have contacted UTV for an update on this.

Anyone with any experience of this if they could post it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Vic.

I'd cancel your direct debit or credit card. This may sound like a useless bit of advice but I've done it before with BT and it works. That's a nasty trick to play and there's no way they can hold you to that. Typical UTV i might add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Yeah stop paying them and see what they do!!!!

UTV have gone to shít over the last 6months...especially since the speed upgrades and not following BT with a download CAP increase!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Just cancel it. From what I've read about UTV Talk the 12 month contract isn't really enforcable because your line rental isn't transferred to them and you don't pay a monthly subscription for it. Therefore if you cancel it they have no pricing structure to bill you for the remainder of the contract. Unless they have introduced a fixed cancelation fee in the recent past and I don't think they have.
    As for transferring, BT's offer includes the transfer of calls to them as part of the bundle so they won't allow you to use UTV Talk alongside their BB and line rental. I think Eircom do allow it.
    Ring up UTV if you have an hour or two to spare and ask them what happens if you cancel Talk and eat the sh*** out of them for entering you into a contract without your knowledge and mention contacting Comreg and likes.
    Like Gegerty said cancel payments if you don't get a satisfactory response.

• Advertisement

I've emailed them asking to clarify where I signed for a 12 month contract with UTV Talk

Also said Id gone through the T&Cs and mentioned where in them it mentions ITV Talk - it doesnt say anything about contract or 12 months etc.

Waiting for a response....

Vic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That's interesting as I'm on the same UTV free trial, but want to cancel as I'm getting my bradband through Clearwire. I want the phone line to go back to Eircom or whoever I choose, but not them, is this going to be a problem? Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

As i understand it any contract tieing you to any telephone service in Ireland is not worth the paper it is written on. Since the telephone system was deregulated contracts for telephone services are not legally binding. If you want to be sure contact Comreg.

I have moved my landline to Eircom while being under contract with UTV for broadband (breaching their contract) and the did absolutly nothing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

viccirc wrote:
    I've emailed them asking to clarify where I signed for a 12 month contract with UTV Talk

Also said Id gone through the T&Cs and mentioned where in them it mentions ITV Talk - it doesnt say anything about contract or 12 months etc.

Waiting for a response....

Vic.
    You'll be waiting. Get on the phone and suffer the long time on hold. Your 12 month contract will be up before you get a response by email :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

kaizersoze wrote:
    You'll be waiting. Get on the phone and suffer the long time on hold. Your 12 month contract will be up before you get a response by email :eek:

Support arent as bad as they used to be.

I rang them yesterday and the day before and got to talk to someone straight away, no wait or queue.

Maybe I was just lucky though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

I have it in writing from UTV that you can leave UTV talk anytime within the 12 month period as long as your line rental hasn't changed over.

A friend of mine cancelled recently after only 2 months without any problems whatsoever.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cool, so if you cancel the broadband do you just call Eirom back up and ask them to switch you back?

Got a reply from UTV saying that it was a misunderstanding from my account details and that Clicksilver and UTV Talk are both cancelled.

Thinking of sitting on it for a while to see what Smart can do about the Sligo area - though at the same time other providers contracts are 6 months etc which would give Smart a few months.

I have contacted Smart but get a standard line about working on it. I know they are prob working overtime but does anyone have any idea or have read anywhere about roll-out times in Sligo?

Regards

Vic.

Advertisement