Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attenion Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder(alternatives they dont tell us)

Options
  • 27-07-2005 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hey i was just wondering is there any one here with a diagnosis of ADHD or who have people who have it...
    I just wanted to tell you about a new unknown treatment or possible treatment that may help people with ADHD.
    It's called Audio Integration Training...I will post some contacts if you are interested..
    Little is known about how to treat ADHD, other than temporary alternatives like stimulants and other types of drugs...
    What is ADHD?? Why do we experience the symptoms..many psychiatrists fail to explain this as they are taking advantage of the vulnerability of people wit this condition..Ritalin is not the only answer!!
    I have recently heard about AIT and I guarantee there is something very scientifically significant in this related to the treatment of ADHD.
    There are 2 places in Ireland to try this..My brother is starting treatment for it abroad..He has a serious problem with ADHD and has always been very bright in school with a lot of learning difficulties... I would suggest that you stop relying on these treatments like ritalin and time management all the rest of the c**p..Its a problem that needs to be tuned into the right frequency..ritalin doesnt help long term..It can be dangerous...The professionals fail to acknowledge that ritalin can be addictive and has potential for abuse...Its like giving a dog chocolate if they are really hungry, chocolate is dangerous, it can kill them and can numb hunger but still if u fed them it the whole time it could not b healthy...I am not anti ritalin just sayin its not long term solution.. I find it very sad to see that people wit this condition are being put on drugs that they may have little knowledge about or that psychologists/psychiatrists top professional people with vague paper like explanations and all questions no answers to patients questions..

If u are interested look into AIT, Im not advertising it,,im making u aware of it.. LIke what most professionals fail to do..
    BOttom line ADHD is about money in many cases....so treat some professionals who use ritalin as the wonder drug as cold and harsh as u they treat u in the ritalin sales department..u are just a statistic so rise above that and look for soluations to the statistic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You might find this wiki article good reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADHD

Regarding your comments on psychiatry and psychologists: My doctors have never evaded any one of my sensible questions. They have always been upfront with me, even when I was young. Your image of them doesn't strike me as one that comes from long experience with (different types of) shrinks in this country.

Yes, there are alternatives to drugs for ADHD. But they do work very well for some people. You shouldn't dismiss them as a valid route of therapy. For the people with "serious" ADHD sometimes need drugs (I'm thinking of the poor guys who have a really poor standard of life here because of it).

For the "lighter" variants, from what I've heard (ie anecdotal evidence), therapy seems to work better than drugs. These kids seem to benifit far more from a good therapist rather drug or alternative therapy.

Then again, personally, I think everyone could use a good therapist when they are younger. Not someone who prescribes or diagnoses, just a confidential neutral listner who can only give advice but who mostly listens.

Kids don't benifit from being "classified" with a disorder imho. They just need some help.

(Just to be clear. It should be noted that my use of "serious" and "lighter" are not dismissive terms but only in terms of the clinical severity. Everyone has their own cross to bear. Just because someone has a less serious condition does not mean they don't need help and support. They just need a different kind. But neither should they be looked at as an example of the disorder in general.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jesus Trash Can

I'm sorry, but I not convinced that such a condition exists. It's been a windfall for child phsycologists though. Not to mention the drug companies, over 45% of primary school kids in America on Ritalin. How did that happen? Why is it that they can't even pinpoint the part of the brain thats responsible, except in the most vague terms? I'm not trying to be controversial but it's so easy to scare parents onto these drug programmes... :(

I'm sorry, but I not convinced that such a condition exists. It's been a windfall for child phsycologists though. Not to mention the drug companies, over 45% of primary school kids in America on Ritalin. How did that happen? Why is it that they can't even pinpoint the part of the brain thats responsible, except in the most vague terms? I'm not trying to be controversial but it's so easy to scare parents onto these drug programmes... :(

Drugs, in the US are horribly over-prescribed. It is very scary.

The condition does exist though. It, like schizophrenia, does show up on brain scans. But tbh, these people are a small subset of those "diagnosed" in the US.

But the US is reversing it's obsession with psychiatric medication. Slowly, but it is happening.

Just because a drug is over-prescribed doesn't mean it isn't treating something for those that need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jesus Trash Can

nesf wrote:
    Drugs, in the US are horribly over-prescribed. It is very scary.

The condition does exist though. It, like schizophrenia, does show up on brain scans. But tbh, these people are a small subset of those "diagnosed" in the US.

But the US is reversing it's obsession with psychiatric medication. Slowly, but it is happening.

Just because a drug is over-prescribed doesn't mean it isn't treating something for those that need it.

They still haven't shown the part of the brain that it shows up in except for the very vague term ''front lobal'', which is a bit like saying, we found Lord Lucan, he's somewhere in South America!

They still haven't shown the part of the brain that it shows up in except for the very vague term ''front lobal'', which is a bit like saying, we found Lord Lucan, he's somewhere in South America!

By that argument depression doesn't exist. In either it's bipolar or unipolar variations. Neither do associated psychotic conditions.

Are you implying that as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

on topic,
    Another treatment I have seen which has proven highly succesful in aiding those with this condition is the prescription of "fish oils" - You may have heard of fish being referred to as "brain food" this is as it contains certain natural chemicals which stimulate the human brain and greatly improve concentration - These fish oils are concentrated samples of the specific chemicals that aid the brain. This is a much more effective method of treatment as it offers a possible long-term cure instead of the short-term suppression and prevention offered by drugs. If they are administered regurlarly at an early age fish oils can greatly improve the quality of concentration for people who suffer from ADHD (it can also be beneficial to those with other learning difficulties)
    I'm sorry, but I not convinced that such a condition exists
    Obviously nobody can offer concrete proof of its existense, but it has to be said that these people are suffering from something whether its ADHD or not - In the past before its diagnoses people would be harsh and simply refer to be people with these problems as "stupid" or "slow" and not offer help or support since it has been defined people are now entitled to support and not ignored so whether its a cash-cow for pharmacists or not im glad it has been defined

Advertisement