Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish TV Station coming: Channel 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

When was the last time you watched live domestic sport on TV3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I would i think they do a better job than RTÉ, than Sky News Ireland and Than Euronews over on TG4 ( do they do national coverage???)

better than RTÉ? not a chance unless you like tabloid crap like their "Entertainment" section
    TV3 are Irelands leading sports broadcaster. They are responsible for the rejunivination of Irish Soccer through shows like eircom league weekly! They stood up to the plate whereas RTÉ just ditched it in favour of UK and EU soccer, TV3 acted like Public Service in that case!!!!

Sports Tonight talks about every major (enough) sport in Ireland, it really helps sports out, such as Soccer... but also Irish Basketball (even though Chorus have the main contract)!

They also have UK soccer and Champions League games!

true they give a show like Sports Tonight which RTÉ should also

for the rest of it give me a break. Irelands leading sports broadcaster?
    Eircom League is now also covered on RTÉ and TG4. RTÉ show Premiership football, CL, UEFA Cup, majority of World Cup games, international tournaments (such as The Confederations Cup atm)

RTÉ also gives us GAA coverage, what do TV3 show in relation to Gaelic Games.

Motor Sport, i dont watch a whole lot of it admittedly but TV3 show an hours highlights of each round of the F1 competition (at least someone is showing it)

RTÉ gives us the far superior (imo) Moto GP

Horse Racing, do TV3 show any live racing?

Olympics, on RTÉ

Athletics such as World Championships on RTÉ

i cant think of anything else as i am wrecked tired atm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Are u serious??? Its true, but i really cant see how that helps your argument! People get onto TG4, just to move up to TV3 and RTE!(and thats how TG4 is better??)!

Limerick man.

People move from TG4 to TV3/RTE to BBC to US could happen.

TV3 have had Amanda MOLE :D Bryram move to FOX. :rolleyes:

1. TV3 show no live IRISH sport
    2. TV3 have 9 or 10 presenters who haven't really changed in the last 7 years.
    3. TV3 has not invest any money into any very Irish, i.e. Live Sport, Show casing Irish Music Talent (not that RTE are much better) and any really Drama/Factual productions.

On the other hand

1. TG4 show plenty of live IRISH sport including GAA, IFA, Basketball, TG4 ladies Football etc.
    2. TG4 have give people the oppertunity to present show who are not in RTE.
    3. TG4 has give investment to many Irish things i.e. Live Sport, Show Casing Irish Music Talent (POP4, Ardan, RIRA, Rinta) and have povide some great short movies, soap opera and comedy, plus lots of good documentries.

All this on a little less of a budget that TV3 has.

Why didn't TV3 buy Wimbleton or Tour De France? I don't really know why TG4 bought them.

Why didn't TV3 do the same deal that TG4 did with RTE and Setanta for Irish Soccer Rights?

TV3 have done very little in Ireland over the past number of years. UK soccer is not important all of the stations could bid for that. Soon Setanta and RTE will have those Rights slit between them. IMO.

I am looking forward to Channel 6 too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Elmo wrote:
    I am looking forward to Channel 6 too. :D

Yeah this has kinda gone off topic, anywho...
    Elmo wrote:
    People move from TG4 to TV3/RTE to BBC to US could happen.

TV3 have had Amanda Bryram move to FOX.

True, but in Ireland TV3 and RTE are seen as the top of ur Irish career!

Elmo wrote:
    1. TV3 show no live IRISH sport.

ON THE LIMIT SPORTS, SMURFIT EUROPEAN OPEN: BEHIND THE SCENES
    ok so i just looked up saturday Tv and these were on! www.tv3.ie gives the listings on their site and bam Irish sports!

Elmo wrote:
    2. TV3 have 9 or 10 presenters who haven't really changed in the last 7 years..

Well no, only the original shows have remained the same Ireland Am hasnt changed much! (but a show like that isnt expected to change around too much)... but shows like TV3 news are always changing there reporters ... (they dare not change the great Martin King though)... New presenters are coming up for new shows.. its not like RTE where they just give more work to their big names!! (The political party was a once off :) )
    Elmo wrote:
    3. TV3 has not invest any money into any very Irish, i.e. Live Sport, Show casing Irish Music Talent (not that RTE are much better) and any really Drama/Factual productions..

Well RTE do Ur a Star and that one sounds (or something) show which is all really that is expected from a show, they have all ppl on shows like The Late Late show and on there radio transmittions! TV3 have given life into Irish Soccer which has now been picked up by the rest of the media... TV3 avoid Irish Dramas ... but they have about 40% of that type show already so I dont think they need anymore! Ireland Am is fatual and they had the Dunphy show!
    Elmo wrote:
    1. TG4 show plenty of live IRISH sport including GAA, IFA, Basketball, TG4 ladies Football etc..

Dont know about the others but i know for a fact that TG4 dont do basketball anymore!!! Thats what i used to watch it for (big irish basketball fan) but Chorus have stepped up to the plate and do good coverage, TV3 also have some stuff on Sports Tonight! Y buy GAA... TV3 is a coperate company two stations are already covering the sport and neiter get decent ratings from GAA so they avoid it for Soccer!

Elmo wrote:
    3. TG4 has give investment to many Irish things i.e. Live Sport, Show Casing Irish Music Talent (POP4, Ardan, RIRA, Rinta) and have povide some great short movies, soap opera and comedy, plus lots of good documentries..

TV3 spends so much on concerts in Ireland its pretty stupid seeing as they get to put a little logo at the bottom of the ad and thats about it! Over half of the concerts going on in Ireland are sponsered by TV3 and the rest are sponserd by RTE... TG4 doesnt really do much for Irish music! TV3 have a show to play short movies!.
    Elmo wrote:
    Why didn't TV3 buy Wimbleton or Tour De France? I don't really know why TG4 bought them..

Because TV3 unfortuanatly are under guidelines that they most show so much Irish broadcast!! That is a big argument TV3 are working on!
    Elmo wrote:
    Why didn't TV3 do the same deal that TG4 did with RTE and Setanta for Irish Soccer Rights?.

Because TG4, Setanta, and RTÉ have already signed up... we dont need every channel to sign up to Eircom League soccer, they do there own stuff!
    Elmo wrote:
    TV3 have done very little in Ireland over the past number of years. UK soccer is not important all of the stations could bid for that. Soon Setanta and RTE will have those Rights slit between them. IMO..

Well, Sky are the big powerhouses of UK sport and they may try to move into the irish market so i dont know! Until then I'd say it'll still be between RTÉ and TV3 (with sky) competing for international soccer rights!

OK Limerick man I don't know what your talking about. I amn't being rude to shot you down ok. So I don't want to offend you.

But TV3 only show LIVE UFEA champions league. No live IRISH sport.
    Well no, only the original shows have remained the same Ireland Am hasnt changed much!

Understanable that News shows don't change.
    TV3 have given life into Irish Soccer which has now been picked up by the rest of the media

If they have given life to Irish Soccer why do the other stations show LIVE irish soccer and they don't.
    TV3 avoid Irish Dramas ... but they have about 40% of that type show already so I dont think they need anymore!

Why not have an Irish Drama? There foreign out put is main Comedy/Drama it is more like 60%.

100% Prime Time save the News at 6:30.
    TV3 also have some stuff on Sports Tonight! Y buy GAA... TV3 is a coperate company two stations are already covering the sport and neiter get decent ratings from GAA so they avoid it for Soccer!

Your telling me that an 150,000 - 500,000 viewers isn't good veiwership.
    TV3 spends so much on concerts in Ireland its pretty stupid seeing as they get to put a little logo at the bottom of the ad and thats about it!

Oh wow TV3 put their logo on Concert posters sponsoring someone wow well done.

Why not show some Irish musicians on Irish TV?
    TG4 doesnt really do much for Irish music! TV3 have a show to play short movies!.

TG4 have had serval music shows for new Irish Artist and Traditional Music and other gernas of music.

TG4 actally commission Short films through their scheme called Lasair. TV3 buy in show which stick a few short Irish movies around international ones.
    Because TV3 unfortuanatly are under guidelines that they most show so much Irish broadcast!! That is a big argument TV3 are working on!

I could be wrong about this but I think that TV3 UFAE output accounts for some of their 25% of Irish Programming.

Yes its a lossing arguement.
    Until then I'd say it'll still be between RTÉ and TV3 (with sky) competing for international soccer rights!

I bet you a tenner that UFAE Champions League, when ever the next world cup rights are up and any other international soccer is up for sale that Setanta and RTE will divide all of those major sporting events to their portifiolo. TV3 will be left in the cold.

In relation to sport Setanta have done more in the last year to compete with RTE then TV3 have in the last 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Elmo wrote:
    OK Limerick man I don't know what your talking about. I amn't being rude to shot you down ok. So I don't want to offend you.

But TV3 only show LIVE UFEA champions league. No live IRISH sport.

Actually TV3 show a select amount of Eircom league matches throughout tthe year LIVE and they also carry delayed(Because of Sky Rights) LIVE coverage of selected irish internationals.

Elmo wrote:
    Understanable that News shows don't change.

If they have given life to Irish Soccer why do the other stations show LIVE irish soccer and they don't.

TV3 Have given a rebirth to irish soccer on tv. When tv3 attained the rights for Irish internationals they did so on the condition they would provide a weekly Eircom League programme also. RTE Was offered the same deal but they said no as eircom league got very little viewers.

Elmo wrote:
    Why not have an Irish Drama? There foreign out put is main Comedy/Drama it is more like 60%.

100% Prime Time save the News at 6:30.

Quite easy... Drama is very costly and they dont want to spend at moment, but there is a drama in the pipeline for next year if it makes you feel better

Elmo wrote:
    Oh wow TV3 put their logo on Concert posters sponsoring someone wow well done.

Why not show some Irish musicians on Irish TV?

They did! They had pop on 3, they had the music room, once again ratings are the name of the game and noone was watching the programmes..therefore..goodbye:)

Elmo wrote:
    TG4 have had serval music shows for new Irish Artist and Traditional Music and other gernas of music.

TG4 actally commission Short films through their scheme called Lasair. TV3 buy in show which stick a few short Irish movies around international ones.

Once again, TG4 provide those music programmes as part of requirement due to the fact they get so much license fee.

As for the short films commissioning, tv3 have part funded 3 FULL LENGTH irish films to date, and as for a buy in show, i assume you are referring to wonderscreen..well this may shock you but wonderscreen is actually produced in tv3. It is not bought in and 80% of the irish shorts which appear in the programme are funded by tv3 also

Elmo wrote:
    I bet you a tenner that UFAE Champions League, when ever the next world cup rights are up and any other international soccer is up for sale that Setanta and RTE will divide all of those major sporting events to their portifiolo. TV3 will be left in the cold.

In relation to sport Setanta have done more in the last year to compete with RTE then TV3 have in the last 7.

In relation to the sporting events elmo..and i thought you of all people would know this, but with the World Cup, the national broadcaster shows the majority of the matches and has priority call on games.

Secondly Champs league rights are up again this year, and well the rights for this will go to the best payer, and as we all know RTE Has a tad more money than TV3 so i wouldnt be suprised if they do get it. Monopolys forever.

And finally as for your quote" in relation to sport, Setanta have done more in the last year to compete with RTE than tv3 have in the last 7" ..........
    Setanta is a sport channel, it should bloody well be the best at competing with sports with RTE.

Setanta is a sport channel, it should bloody well be the best at competing with sports with RTE.

TRUE :) but it means that TV3 now have more competition to get rights.

TV3 won the rights to UFEA Champions League and got Exclusive Rights. Now the rules changed and RTE or TG4 had to buy half the games over the last 3 Years. In other words no one TV channel would hold full right in any country.

So this now leaves TV3 in a bad position since the current rights will be soon up for discussion. And IMO TV3 won't get the rights but the rights will be divide between RTE and Setanta.
    Quite easy... Drama is very costly and they dont want to spend at moment

Well time is a ticking. And indeed Ted it is only cost that cause TV3 not to produce Drama, not that they are avoiding it. I look forward to their drama to seeing their drama series. Lets hope it is not a made for ITV show.
    Actually TV3 show a select amount of Eircom league matches throughout tthe year LIVE and they also carry delayed(Because of Sky Rights) LIVE coverage of selected irish internationals.

The IFA got more money off sky and TV3 so that TV3 and FTA could have access to Soccer via "AS LIVE" coverage on TV3.

I think the current deal works out better for the FAI weather they would admit that I don't know.

TV3 could have replace RTE or TG4 in the current rights for eircom matches, they didn't.
    They did! They had pop on 3, they had the music room

Wow 2 shows over 7 years oh wait you forgot the Pepis chart :D

I just feel that their is a certain amont of failure in regards TV3, it could still change broadcasting entirely.

It certainly does not amount to
    TV3's aim is to tap the qualities of community pride, independence, creative talent, humor and determination that are a vital part of Irish society, and, in so doing, to bring to its audience a full representation of life in Ireland and of its interaction with the rest of the world.
    well this may shock you but wonderscreen is actually produced in tv3.

Actually is an indo production just like "Popcorn".

How many is 80%? 4 irish shorts out of how many?

Elmo wrote:

Actually is an indo production just like "Popcorn".

How many is 80%? 4 irish shorts out of how many?

Yes but it is an IRISH produced programme unlike you previously said" A Bought in Programme" The whole point is it is made in ireland.

It is Edited in TV3 and the Offices are in TV3, just produced by an external production co.

A Bought in Programme

I don't think I actuall said this.

Wonderscreen is made up of parts. Personally I don't think that editing Wonderscreen is the same as producing. The same goes for Popcorn.

I assume that both of these show considered "IRISH" output, which leads me to beleive that LIVE sports coverage is also "IRISH".

It's not that I want TV3 to fail but I would rather they were successful on their own merits rather then those of ITV. I would like to see some individuality TV3 needs to make a real Identy for itself.

It is not that I like RTE more then TV3 its just that I think that TV3 let them away with murder, and rather then fight they complain.

TV3 could be something more, I hope that after 4 years of being Number 2 that TV3 new season will have more Irish Prime Time Productions.

And prehaps they can over take RTE One as the number one channel. Which would be a good kick up the arse to RTE. :D

The thing is... TV3 dont habe money to mess with! TV3 can buy in 2 shows which will draw at least a pretty good crowd or chance making one irish show which will cost them more and be more likely to fail!

Like The Offside show, they said they'd give that the go ahead... they pumped money into it, and then it flopped, so they pulled it after the first season! Even though it would probably have been more popular the next season they couldnt afford a second unsure season!

In some ways its a shame RTE have money to burn... money is being wasted on crap, but they get a hit like Kilinaskuly from no where!

TV3 dont have that luxury, they mainly do in studio shows because ... they have no lot and dont have to money to shut down streets.

TV3 on the whole are pretty good at what they select for shows, the idea is always good behind a TV3 show.

Offside show- A comdey all comedains with funny bits and low budget gits
    Property Game- The secrets of how to buy a house
    Political Party- politicans come on and get a hammering.

These sound get to me! and i actually enjoy them to (only really watched property thing once, but it was fun though)!

The problem is no one takes TV3's shows seriously ... if TV3 are doing something Irish it must be some low budget crap... just to increase their irish output, and i've heard ppl say it time and time again!
    They have it down they dont need to keep uping the Irish output, there arnt any extra impositions on them, they are now doing it for the Irish People!

They are now trying to fufil their aim, of coarse they never will... that is just witten for publicity and to sound good, but they are now looking towards that... and their autumn line up will probably have more Irish shows!

TV3 not having enough money to buy stuff like UFEA doesnt mean that the station is crap, it means that they need more ads to compete!

Alot of concerts wouldnt have gone ahead if TV3 didnt stand in and stand up for the ppl, in the past 4/5 years we have had way more concerts then this country has ever seen. Thats because where RTE doesnt fund TV3 step in. In many ways TV3 act like Public Service.

Thanks for backing me up Ted!

• Advertisement

The thing is... TV3 dont habe money to mess with!

MMMM.... Let me think about this.

Canwest and ITV get 6million in dividend each year.
    ITV sell most of its products to TV3, I wonder how much that is worth to them.
    Then their are all the american shows that TV3 buy in.
    Now I wouldn't say that RTE's and TV3's American/British output is far off one another. RTE spend 25million on foreign output IMO TV3's foreign aquisitions is not far of that.

TV3 have 15% of the viewers.

TV3 have choosen againist going taking any money from the Licence Fee. Stating that its not worth their while.
    Offside show- A comdey all comedains with funny bits and low budget gits
    Property Game- The secrets of how to buy a house
    Political Party- politicans come on and get a hammering.

I am not a big fan of the Offside show, but IMO it's just as good as anything RTE produce.
    Property Game didn't do it for me on the too occasions that I saw it, the new House Hunters seems better
    And the Political Party isn't as good as adgenda. :mad: And her fav question is irrattating (So whats bertie really like?). This should be on during Prime Time, IMO.
    TV3 are doing something Irish it must be some low budget crap

I never think this and think that TG4 have actuall proved that low budget can work.
    TV3 not having enough money to buy stuff like UFEA doesnt mean that the station is crap

Again I dont think 3.5m is alot to spend on Irish sport which TG4 spent during 2003 and 2004 on Irish Sporting Events.

Doesn't have to be costly international sports.
    Alot of concerts wouldnt have gone ahead if TV3 didnt stand in and stand up for the ppl, in the past 4/5 years we have had way more concerts then this country has ever seen. Thats because where RTE doesnt fund TV3 step in. In many ways TV3 act like Public Service.

TV3 is not here to promote Irish Concerts it here to promote Irish TV.

Irish Time, Today FM, RTE, Evening Hearld, the star etc ect all give money towards Irish Concerts.

Oh lets not forget that RTE support The NCO, Cor Na Nog, etc.
    They have it down they dont need to keep uping the Irish output, there arnt any extra impositions on them, they are now doing it for the Irish People!

The only reason that TV3 keep their requirments up is because of Ireland AM.

I would rather that their contract said.

25% of all prime time programming to be Irish Programming(outside news) plus 30mins of Irish News during prime time.
    Let them do what they want with the rest of the schedule.

In some ways its a shame RTE have money to burn... money is being wasted on crap, but they get a hit like Kilinaskuly from no where!

Well RTE actually tested this out one xmas. The Restaurant is a bigger hit that came from no where.

Also I amn't ever expecting that TV3 News output is going to be ever as comprhensive as RTE's News output (That includes Current Affairs). I would rather that TV3 didn't have its news output requirments.

Most of the points you just made were points we had all ready discussed!
    Elmo wrote:
    Canwest and ITV get 6million in dividend each year.
    ITV sell most of its products to TV3, I wonder how much that is worth to them.

True, but it actually does cost money to buy in US shows! TV3 pump money into Ireland AM, new productions, concerts, News, and well all their crew and shows!
    Running a TV station is very expensive!
    Elmo wrote:
    TV3 is not here to promote Irish Concerts it here to promote Irish TV.

Are u serious!!!! A point you made eariler was that TV3 didnt do enough to promte music in Ireland!
    Elmo wrote:
    Oh lets not forget that RTE support The NCO, Cor Na Nog, etc.

Amm, what are they? They obviously dont promote them (or well at least)
    Elmo wrote:
    I would rather that their contract said.

25% of all prime time programming to be Irish Programming(outside news) plus 30mins of Irish News during prime time.
    Let them do what they want with the rest of the schedule.

That would have to be illegal or something! They are already under restrictions which, i feel, are unfair (although somewhat nessesary)!
    That would just mean moving their shows around, and the no-one would really win, TV3 would lose out though!

I think it may be a good idea to split this thread because it has gone too far off topic! Thank you

So much quoting could be done, but quite plainly, you don't have a leg to stand on this argument, Limerick_man.

TV3 promotes mostly foreign acts if it "sponsors" a concert, yet it has little or no indigenous Irish music.

When approached about LIVE (not deferred, not recorded, LIVE!) sport, you said that about rally sport and deferred soccer. Its still not good enough for a national broadcaster to have this little of sporting output. Look at what Setanta has done. If the market was not there, they created it. Also, Setanta are risk takers.

It may seem you don't care for arts/culture if you don't know what the Concert and Symphony Orchestras and Cór Na nÓg are. Because TV3 shows NO arts programmes anyway.

Again, these are just the choice cuts in this argument, but there are so many things wrong with TV3 its shocking.

Also... what if TV3 outsourced News to Sky News Ireland?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Like The Offside show, they said they'd give that the go ahead... they pumped money into it, and then it flopped, so they pulled it after the first season! Even though it would probably have been more popular the next season they couldnt afford a second unsure season!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought The Offside Show was just a pilot series, with the chance of being renewed in the new football season if it got enough audience shares.

As it was, I thought it had great potential. :(

True Byte, it was a 6 week run pilot with recommissioning this month. it went from 30,000 to 110,000 viewers in the 6 weeks but for some reason TV3 have decided not to continue it. very sad as it was a good programme with a lot of potential and a great show to be working on for crew and guests alike. I Think they are starting a new live entertainment programme in the autumn.

110,000 for its time slot is very good i would have thought. seen it 3 times and thought it wasnt a bad programme at all

No, hell it wasnt far off the top 20! TV3 better commission something good i really got into it!

NE way ... I cait comment on Setanta because they dont offer nationwide service, the only local sports channel we have in Limerick is Chorus Sports Channel!

TV3 does what works for them, they give Irish companies money to entertain Irish people with music!

From the looks of things RTÉ in the next few years are gonna have mainly deffered highlights too, so i mean dont give out about TV3 .. remember they are not PS. RTÉ have a higher budget and prefferness on things that matter to Irish sport! TG4 pick up on the rest as do Chorus and Setanta!

Are u saying u want all channels in Ireland to have GAA on at the same time? All live?

TV3 isnt there to entertain everyone, they obviously arnt gonna show opera when its geared for the 15-36yo (or so) market!

Are u saying u want all channels in Ireland to have GAA on at the same time? All live?

No we are not saying that what we are saying is that TV3 could bid for GAA sport againist RTE and TG4 and Setanta that's part of what they are there for.
    TV3 isnt there to entertain everyone, they obviously arnt gonna show opera when its geared for the 15-36yo (or so) market!

Funny TV3 still seem to think that they are aimed at that market.
    110,000 for its time slot is very good i would have thought. seen it 3 times and thought it wasnt a bad programme at all

Yeah it is very good.

NE way ... I cait comment on Setanta because they dont offer nationwide service, the only local sports channel we have in Limerick is Chorus Sports Channel!

TV3 does what works for them, they give Irish companies money to entertain Irish people with music!

From the looks of things RTÉ in the next few years are gonna have mainly deffered highlights too, so i mean dont give out about TV3 .. remember they are not PS. RTÉ have a higher budget and prefferness on things that matter to Irish sport! TG4 pick up on the rest as do Chorus and Setanta!

Point.................................................................. ->

So answer this. Why don't TV3 compete? Why leave it to channels that can't be seen by a good proportion of the population?

They may not be PSB, but they are a national station with some remit on the national spectrum they use.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

True Byte, it was a 6 week run pilot with recommissioning this month. it went from 30,000 to 110,000 viewers in the 6 weeks but for some reason TV3 have decided not to continue it. very sad as it was a good programme with a lot of potential and a great show to be working on for crew and guests alike. I Think they are starting a new live entertainment programme in the autumn.
    Really? Damn, that's a shame. It was one of the better programmes they commissioned. God, they are bloody useless. :mad:

• Advertisement

I hadn't read that post correctly I was sure that they would recommission it with 110,000 viewers.

someone should try to get setanta to take it up. :D RTE might do something like it.

TV3 have to realise that they are still a new channel and have yet to walk on their own 2 feet.

C6 might take it up also. To actually get back on to the topic. :D

How did The Property Game do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

Hopefully these guys http://www.channel6.ie will go FTA on Astra 28.2.....

BCI awards licence to Channel 6
    Wednesday, July 27 09:37:16
    (BizWorld) The BCI has today announced that it has awarded contracts, in principle, to Muglins Broadcasting (trading as Channel 6) for the provision of a television service for a period of ten years.

The contract is being awarded further to Section 41 (Cable-MMD Content) and Section 36 (Satellite Content) and of the Broadcasting Act, 2001.
    Channel 6 will provide a broad format entertainment service providing movies, music, drama and comedy and aimed primarily at the 15-35 age group.

The service will also include local programming on topical matters exploring all aspects of modern Irish culture, BCI said.

The service will broadcast initially for 12 hours per day Monday to Friday and 15 hours Saturday and Sunday. Channel 6 will be carried on the NTL and Chorus analogue and digital platforms throughout the State as part of their basic television subscription package.

The service will be retransmitted on the Sky Digital Platform and will be included in the Sky basic television subscription package.

Commenting on the announcement, Conor J, Maguire, BCI Chairperson said, "We are delighted to award this contract in principle to Channel 6. I am confident that the proposed service will provide its viewers with a quality Irish entertainment service which will add to the diversity of services currently available. We look forward to commencing contract negotiations with the station."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

threads merged

nice to see they have a BCI license

If there is a huge amount of foreign programming they won't be going FTA on Sat.

RTE are currently running a simlar style show to the Offside show on Sunday Mornings at 10:30 for the GAA.

Can't think of its name.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Elmo wrote:
    If there is a huge amount of foreign programming they won't be going FTA on Sat.

It's confirmed, it will be family pack only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

Elmo wrote:
    RTE are currently running a simlar style show to the Offside show on Sunday Mornings at 10:30 for the GAA.

Can't think of its name.

It is called 'Park Live'....not a bad show either, based on last Sunday's first effort........Ger Gilroy was pretty good....

• Advertisement

OT: 10.30 in the morning? WTF

Advertisement