Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making the Commute beneficial

Options
  • 27-07-2005 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

I have recently gotten into cycle racing and also cycle a short (6km) commute to and from work i.e. 12km a day. I mostly do this 4 days a week, so there are 8 'sessions' which I could potentially use to improve my racing.

Now, the difficulties. I use a much heavier (perhaps 3 times heavier) mountain (as opposed to TT-type racer) bike on my commute.

My question is this - are there any suggestions as to what I could do to improve my racing by using the commute more smartly. Ideas I had were to 'race' some days, ride in high gears another, etc, etc. Or would I be wasting my time given the different distance, different conditions, different bike, etc.

Any thoughts / links appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

How about just taking a longer route?

When I used to cycle to work, which was a measaly 4km each way, and felt like a bit of a stretch (particularly in the morning if the weather was good) I'd do a lap of Clonsilla, adding about 6km more to the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I've had this discussion with a cyclist friend at work. I contend that commuting on a heavier bike puts you in good shape for racing on a good bike - because you're doing more work for the same distance. Just like the guys who wear ankle weights training for other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

as you become more finally tuned you may be doing yourself a disservice flipping between bikes, you'll be exercising slightly different parts of muscles, etc.

If you're satisfied you've got good miles in your legs, twice weekly interval sessions would be excellent. Leaving good space for warm up, cool down (ten minutes each side) then how ever many flat out sprints you can fit 4 * 30 secs, with 30 secs between them. Look into that as the best use of your commute.

But you will need to work on the space inbetween as well. I.e slow pace and medium pace as well. Find a balance. Wrong time of the year to be working on muscle strength (big gears/ heavy tires)- you'll just deaden your legs IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

uberwolf wrote:
    Wrong time of the year to be working on muscle strength (big gears/ heavy tires)- you'll just deaden your legs IMO.

Do you mean with respect to the racing calendar? When would be the best time? Pre-season?

Thanks for the other suggestions. I travel between Heuston and work which means I am usually stuck for time in both directions (trying not to be late in the a.m., trying not to miss the train in the p.m.). Lengthening the journey is not a real option, therefore. (Mind you I have taken my good bike and cycled all the way to work - 80km once or twice - good way to do a distance cycle mid-week).

Advertisement