Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT on Imported Car

Options
  • 27-07-2005 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just got an MX5 imported from Japan. It's a 94.
    I've managed to tax it and insure it already but what do I do about the NCT?
    Will the guards stop me if I don't have it? How long do I have before I have to get it done?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

As long as you can prove it's just been registered (ie VRT) in the country, they'll let you off for a while. It should only take a couple weeks to get an NCT anyway.

They might stop you, but you shouldn't get in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

You will have to apply for an nct .

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

When I imported a Honda last year I just taxed and insured the car as normal afer paying VRT and about two weeks later I got a letter from the NCT asking me to set up a date for NCT, so either paying the VRT or taxing it must mean tht the NCT gets the details of the car from one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The NCT crowd get your details when you tax the car for the first time, as that's when the new VLC is issued. You'll get a letter a week or two after the VLC arrives telling you that the car is due to do an NCT, it's up to you then to ring up and book it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

An NCT is like an optional extra. Anytime the father gets a letter to NCT his car he just tosses it in the bin. If the guards say anything about it at a check (which they usually won't as long as you have your tax and insurance) just say it hasn't been called for it (which seems to be the case with more than a few cars out there).

Mine is NCT'd but only because I wanted it done by the dealer before I bought it. Nothing is more annoying than having to take time off work to make an appointment, paying 48 quid for a test and have some @rsehole mechanic wannabe tell you that it failed because one headlamp is out of alignment. And that'll be another 28.50 next time around, plus the hassle of bringing the car in. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ensuring the car is safe for the road, thereby preventing injury. complying with the law.

taking up an hour of your precious time.

my heart bleeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

An NCT is like an optional extra.
    No it most definitely isn't, it's a legal requirement. The fact that the Gardai, for reasons best known to themselves, decide not to either check for it, or prosecute for not having it, is neither here nor there.

So you think not having your headlights aligned properly is OK, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

If you don't have it and are involved in an accident, it may void your insurance claim. It also proves that your car is roadworthy so there's two reasons to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

An NCT is like an optional extra. Anytime the father gets a letter to NCT his car he just tosses it in the bin. If the guards say anything about it at a check (which they usually won't as long as you have your tax and insurance) just say it hasn't been called for it (which seems to be the case with more than a few cars out there).

Mine is NCT'd but only because I wanted it done by the dealer before I bought it. Nothing is more annoying than having to take time off work to make an appointment, paying 48 quid for a test and have some @rsehole mechanic wannabe tell you that it failed because one headlamp is out of alignment. And that'll be another 28.50 next time around, plus the hassle of bringing the car in. :mad:
    The cops down here couldn't give 2 hoots to the NCT. Compliance down here is i would say is about 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

i had jap import Integra and car was NCt exempt until the first anniversary date of first registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Besides, they make you bring it back if you havent got BAC on your reg plate, since when was that a safety issue, and the dashes between your munbers ffs. Ill only bring a car for nct when im about to sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

ensuring the car is safe for the road, thereby preventing injury. complying with the law. taking up an hour of your precious time.
    my heart bleeds.

Well to be honest

1. I'd rather spend an hour doing something enjoyable in the little free time I have rather than go to a test centre, wait around in a prison-style 'waiting room' with a broken vending machine and not so much as yesterday's Star to read, only for some bollix to tell me that it's failed anyways due to some minor detail that would have been a 'fail:advisory' anyway before they got greedy.

2. I wouldn't drive around in a car that wasn't safe for the road in any case, purely for my own safety.And what's the point of complying with the law if the guards don't give a flying fcuk about it anyway?

So you think not having your headlights aligned properly is OK, do you?

It wouldn't exactly keep me awake at night with guilt. That and the fact that you can go to any garage and get them aligned for a tenner, rather than get them done and pay €28.50 for a re-test. If only all the police in this country were as conscientious as you, wouldn't that be just super :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It wouldn't exactly keep me awake at night with guilt. That and the fact that you can go to any garage and get them aligned for a tenner, rather than get them done and pay €28.50 for a re-test. If only all the police in this country were as conscientious as you, wouldn't that be just super
    Thanks a bunch ... next time I get blinded at night by some w@anker with misaligned lights, I'll take solace in that.

So, then, why don't you get your car's lights aligned properly *before* you take it for the test and avoid the re-test fee, or better still get them aligned properly to avoid pissing everyone else off.

Advertisement