Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suse and ESat modem question

• 27-07-2005 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have Suse running with Zyxel prestige modem attached. Up to yesterday internet connection was ok, however now nothing's happening. The DSL light is on but not the activity light.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mark.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Have you reset the router???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

How is your pc connected to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Sorry. Should have included more info.

1. Modem - Powered on and off and unplugged all cables
    2. Ethernet connection (light on)

Thanks for the quick responses.

Mark.

Just login to the router page and see what its status is, if you haven't changed anything other then your OS while using a router it shouldn't affect it at all.

Then I'd get on to esat/eircom/insert isp here and see what the deal is.

TimTim,

Did try to logon to admin page but wouldn't let me do that either.

The PC is a dual boot. XP died on me yesterday. Booted up with Suse and it worked okay. Booted up a second time and no activity. I have switched between OS in the past and haven't had any problems.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Thats the problem, if its a router as you say, it shouldn't give a damn about what its connected to, if my toaster is connected to my router it wouldn't care.

Are you sure its not in bridge mode? ie did you dial up the connection on your Windows XP machine? If so try reset it to factory defaults and they use it as a router.

Is your router / NIC on the same network? I think those routers usually come as default on the 192.168.1.1 address so make sure your nic is also in this address or set up with dhcp.

Reset modem (you learn something new every day!) and back up and running.

Off to Dell now to find out why my hard disk has disintegrated twice in 3 months.

Mark.

Advertisement