Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignition: Now or Later?

Options
  • 27-07-2005 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just off the phone to Tesco, no reduction in premium since I got my full license because I did the provisional ignition :( But now I have the opportunity to do Ignition and get a minimum of 20% off my premium. I can get a max of 40% (or 50% if I sign to a curfew, no chance). The thing is, it can only be done once so my dilema is, do I do it now and get min 20% off or do I do it when I have that bit more driving experience and may get closer to the full 40%. Since I just passed my test, I'll be more familiar with the "right way" to drive so it may actually be better to do it now.

Has anyone any experience or suggestions with this dilema?

Any feedback appreciated.

If I get 40% off, my premium will be just under €900. Not bad considering I'm 21 (today) and have only had insurance (in my own name, never a named driver) for only about 16 months with 1 year NCB on a 1l Micra residing in Bray. Well it is bad, but not as bad as what some people pay. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'll be more familiar with the "right way" to drive so it may actually be better to do it now.

i'm in the same boat as you, passed my test the other day. i reckon its best to do it straight away. I can feel myself drifting into my old habits straight away. :)

do it early and get that discount....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

congrats:D

yeah I think I might just go for it!! I'd appreciate the discount more now anyway! And it mightnt make that much of a difference to the premium if I choose to do it at a later date. I think I'll book it then:)

whats your situation? What are/were you paying? Who is your insurer etc?

just posted a thread on new car suggestions.

I started on Quinn in December at €2890 TP on a Punto :eek:

Got my licence with 4 months on policy to go, first time (very suprised the test came round so quick) and according to quinn's online thing its down to €1100 now. that quote is for a 1.4 focus.

Incredible drop really. I'd say with Ignition i'd definately be looking sub 1k.

€1100!!! That's brilliant!! That's cheaper than if I get 20% off ignition. I started with Quinn too march last year for €3,600 :eek:

What age are you? Big difference between a 1.4 focus and a 1 Micra!! :(

Maybe I'll shop around a bit once I get ignition over and done with and use that quote to try and get a better one.

i'm 24. Quinn's quotes seem VERY low at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Nobody gets the full 40% off from what I hear!

Do you not get 23% off for passing the provisional ignition and then a further 20% off if you pass the full ignition?

Well what tesco did when I passed provisional ignition was charge me as if I had a full licence, that's why my quote didn't change once I was fully licenced.

Ah, 24, that's probably why it's so much cheaper.

Yeah they say it's very hard to get the full 40% off alright. Give it a shot anyway!

Has anyone done the course in Killiney? Where exactly do they take you? It lasts all day, do they take you everywhere? Onto the M50 and all over the place? What do they have available for the free lunch? Is the lunch hotel resteraunt food since it's done in the Killiney Castle Hotel? hehehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

regardless of the discount i found it to be a good course. made me think about things in a new way. i plan on doing the advanced driving course with IAM when i've the money.

Is that not what Ignition for full licence :confused:

cormie wrote:
    Is that not what Ignition for full licence :confused:

the ignition is run by IAM/hibernian and the course was devised by them but it is not the full advanced driving course that IAM do. i'll go dig out a link

• Advertisement

ah ok, so can you get a BIGGER discount if you do that then?

iirc hibernian offer 30% if you hold a cert from them and thats for life. the ignition in only valid for 5 years after you pass your test, the idea being you build up a no claims bonus. so i suppose in theory you could have a full ncb + 30% off.

http://www.irishadvancedmotorists.ie/

Advertisement