Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can mouseovers not be permanent?

Options
  • 27-07-2005 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Ye know when you are viewing a thread title and you can mouseover to get the first bit of it? Its really annoying the way it disapears after a sec and you have to do it again. Can it not be so that it just stays there?
    Word.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cianos wrote:
    Ye know when you are viewing a thread title and you can mouseover to get the first bit of it? Its really annoying the way it disapears after a sec and you have to do it again. Can it not be so that it just stays there?
    Word.
    This is an browser-specific setting unfortunately, so there's nothing that boards.ie can do about it (Afaik). To do it any other way, it would need to be implemented in Javascript which, thinking offhand, would require quite a bit of code-hacking, and would increase the size and complexity of pages even further.

Perhaps someone knows how to configure your machine to correct it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Would be most hepful actually!

Anyone got any ideas?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

firefox has nay trouble holding them for me, switch to that. You'll be cooler for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

Its part of the vB software whether its turned on at admin level or not etc. You can adjust the time on it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Never noticed before that it turns off.

It does last quite a while to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Hover, then move mouse, then hover again. How slow are people at reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well wen i hovered over this one, it stayed up long enough for me to read it all. You are such a homie by the way

WERD!

Ha ha

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I use firefox and it bugs me. I like to go to politics and read most of the first post while hovering and them posts are long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Yeah on Explorer anyway, it lasts about 3 seconds or something. And thats not enough to read the amount that is in the Intro. I am a homie by the way...I know this because I use words like "yo". Thanks for noticing, it makes me feel edgy and cool.
    ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bamboozled wrote:
    Its part of the vB software whether its turned on at admin level or not etc. You can adjust the time on it also.
    I've looked into this and I can alter how many characters are shown but I cant see anything about length of time. I suspect thats not something VB controls but rather your browser. If you can give me any more pointers I'll have a look again but I was definitely in the area and there was no option for length of time.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It lasts indefinitly for me(as far as i see...looked at this title for 20 secs..then boredom)...just dont move the cursor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I have the opposite problem... sometimes it won't go away even after ive clicked it and switched over to another window...

stoopid computers...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tour old comp may just have to load :)

DeVore wrote:
    I've looked into this and I can alter how many characters are shown but I cant see anything about length of time. I suspect thats not something VB controls but rather your browser. If you can give me any more pointers I'll have a look again but I was definitely in the area and there was no option for length of time.

DeV.
    I'll check later, its been a while since i looked at that part and its been a while since dealing with vb setups, and my members were complaining about the same thing.

I've a heavily hacked board though, so i may be wrong and it might just be hacked in.

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Its the title attribute of the <a> tag thats used. Just checked on W3c and there is no restriction/direction on how the browser should handle it; it could be spoken, tooltip, etc, etc so I guess it's browser dependant.

S.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

DeVore wrote:

DeV.
    It is completely browser based, it's done through the title property of the td tag, so there's a line in the source along the lines of
    <td title="popup thread details go here" ....>

It's completely up to the browser how this gets displayed on screen, I've found registry entries for enabling/disabling it in IE and I think there's a config entry for firefox to do the same but nothing for setting the display time yet.

(it's been bothering me for a while too :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

I use firefox and it bugs me. I like to go to politics and read most of the first post while hovering and them posts are long
    I'm wondering what people's views are on the status of Northern Ireland and wheth...

This is all i can read of the first post by hovering. And it stays plenty long enough to read it. I'm beginning to think we're not talking about the same things...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Steveire wrote:
    This is all i can read of the first post by hovering. And it stays plenty long enough to read it. I'm beginning to think we're not talking about the same things...
    Again, this seems to be browser specific. In firefox all I see is one line, but with Konqueror I see ..

mouse_over.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Do any Firefox users get to view the whole post like you can in IE? I only get the first line...

You can extend the amount of characters shown. Not the time.

DeVore - i had the hack that extends the info - like as in Author, whether it was open for replies etc. It is definately browser based, but surely you could hack in and have it tell the browsers to display it for longer. My apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Maybe this is a horrible/tacky/unworkable idea, but what about having the contents of that popup appear as scrolling text in the browsers status bar? (yes! just like those dodgy w4r3z sites!)
    Yeah, it's not exactly accessible by w3c standards, but then what is?! :rolleyes:
    Just an idea I thought I'd plop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

bah, I use 3 computers interchangibly and I get confused as to what happens on each...

Advertisement