Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I WILL lose my job soon because of IBB

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If the service is breaking their terms and conditions then u can break the contract in the 12 months,if it isn't then stop moaning and read the small print next time,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Moonbeam wrote:
    If the service is breaking their terms and conditions then u can break the contract in the 12 months,if it isn't then stop moaning and read the small print next time,

here m8, you try and break from a company like this, they will ride yah and black list you ! its not worth it ! they should sort it out for thier customers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Yes you can break away from them. Their service is unusable at best and does breech the terms of service in their own contract. In addition their contention rates are not as advertised and this alone is very easy to prove with actual throughput screenshots of local ftp downloads from their own server. You can call them, explain the service is in breech of contract and have it removed. Simple as that. No black listing provided you are paid up till the point of that phone call.

Depending on the software/hardware you are using you should be able to fiddle around with your VOIP settings as G.711 is PCM based. By rights you should be able to get it down to 85/90kbps up which would work on a 256kbps dsl package easily.

Looking into a firewall/vpn platform that can encrypt and compress proprietary voip codecs would probably help you alot. I know checkpoint do some good vpn boxes that can work with that type of traffic on an intelligent level. Might be a large initial investment but worth it in the long run. Just options anyways.

As for the file uploads, compression, experiment with the file formats. Why use pdf when word will do and compress better etc.

Your only problem seems to be uploads so some creative thinking will get you by on a 256k dsl up. Since this will be reliable when you change over, you can work out a system that does it for you and never have to differ from it. Dont see why you'd need 2 dsl connections but at current prices including line rental it is very do-able.

Try out one line. I'd be really surprised if it doesn't work out for ya :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Moonbeam wrote:

Yes I read the small print, yes I know my rights.

Just in case you weren't listening to [or reading, if your that pedantic] my posts, I didn't want to break my contract because I need a consistently high upload speed. I have now come to the conclusion that I will not get that service from IBB because they are in-capable of providing it, even if they wanted to, as they have gotten themselves into a position where they are over subscribed.

My apologies if I seem a little off in this posting, but I am by no means stupid in relation to contracts. It's just that your posting wasn't quite constructive to my needs. I thought I had answered your point, all being indirectly, in a previous posting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No ur fine it is hard when ur not getting what u pay for in a service,I am having hell with the idiots in pc world.

see due to contention and ur uploads being within contention ur not gonig to be able to break the contract,if they are outside contention etc then they are not upholding their side of it, if they are then it is a different matter.

• Advertisement

Yeah, my speeds are "generally" within their 8:1 guidlines but nearly always at the lower end. And even sometimes less than 56K analog dial up. But their latency and pasket loss is Much worse than what was agreed in the recorded correspondance bewteen us, pre contract signing.

Anyway, doesn't matter, it's sh!te, their sh!te. Nothing more to be said about them :)

Now, a little off topic but I'm allowed coz it's MY thread :)

Clear Wire reps have just come and gone and left me with their loooooovly product [we'll see, hoo haa]

At the moment it's configured as 1Mb / 256Kb 10:1.
    I have 0% packet loss and response times to boards.ie are in the >=20ms <=40ms range.
    Reported speeds from http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ of
    1.8Mb down and 220Kb up. Looks as promised if not more, unless they have actually configged it as the 2 Mb product which is still good for me.
    However, I'm probably the ONLY user on the Naas site at the moment, we'll see how that goes too.

So next week, I'll reconfigure my BT DSL and ClearWire so that VoIP goes through one and everything else goes through the other. If that works out then I'll be VERY happy.

PAAAARTY time for the long weekend... Yeah right, I work for an American company and I don't get Irish holidays yet :) Do I ever stop moaning!!!!!

Anyway, The RangeR is happy again and wishes everyone a great thank you for your moral support. Special shout out to Moonbeam as I was a little off with you this morning. I didn't mean it. No harm, no foul...

======
    *EDIT* Wow, my thread has been viewed over 1,200 times. I'm famous :)
    ======

RangeR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Result :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

kaizersoze wrote:
    Result :D

Indeed...how much for the 1MB? :)

Not 100% but I think it's 39 Eur for the 1Mb : 256Kb and about 49 Eur for the 2Mb : 256Kb

1 month free trial, no connection charge and 12 month contract :(

They will be putting a connection charge in place as soon as they go "LIVE" in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

IrishTLR wrote:
    At the moment it's configured as 1Mb / 256Kb 10:1.
    I have 0% packet loss and response times to boards.ie are in the >=20ms <=40ms range.
    Reported speeds from http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ of
    1.8Mb down and 220Kb up. Looks as promised if not more, unless they have actually configged it as the 2 Mb product which is still good for me.
    However, I'm probably the ONLY user on the Naas site at the moment, we'll see how that goes too.
    Interesting. It would be great to have a portable broadband solution that is capable of VoIP and totally independent of Eircom. Time will tell...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Clearwire are famous for blocking none other than VoIP

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/voip/article.php/3494171

thought ya may wanna know now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Their prices aren't all that exciting, though, are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I would imagine they will need to reduce prices once the service gets going properly.

Either all the IBB pepole are Offline this weekend or there issues have been sorted !!

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭EvilDoctorK

Well not sure about that Drapper .. for me @ least it's been so sh1t most of this weekend I can hardly even get online

Maybe their new strategy is to make the connection so appalling we can't even post complaints on boards.ie

Well, I'm only an IBB customer on paper at the moment. Haven't been back to the office in about a week and only plan on going back there to bring my servers home and clear out.

I'll let you all know how it goes in the end, though. Not expecting to get a written response from them but I *might* have an envelope waiting for me in there in a few days.

Not sure about ClearWire yet. Haven't really tried it until I get my stuff out of the office. But they don't do static IP addresses yet which will really hold me up on VoiP. Might have to convert my home BT package to a business one for static IP.

Soooooo many permutations, it almost boggles.
    It's not simple, and it certainly ain't smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

IrishTLR,
    Where in Naas is the Clearwire transmitter located and when do they hope to launch their residential service in Naas? How far do they transmit form their transmitter location? Thnx

Sorry Cargo, your posting slipped past my radar :)

I'm not a Clear Wire emplyee and only know what they have told me. Just to get that straight. I'm no Garfield or Old Titan :)

Where is the transmitter?
    ===================
    Right, if you know Naas, come through the main street away from Dublin and towards Kilcullen. Up the Kilcullen Road, past the garda station about 200 ort 300 meters. You will see an eircom exchange or ESB sub station, not sure. That's the high site. On Kilcullen Road at the entrance to Esmondale. Can't missive, it's a huge mast.

I'm in Esmondale myself. Don't have line of site and there are about 20 houses directly between me and the high site. Just think of all that concrete, microwave ovans etc. I get all 4 green lights on, sometimes 2 or 3 but mostly 4. Now THAT is service. I'm pretty sure they use WiMax.

When do they plan to launch residential?
    ==============================
    From what I was told, September. So about one month from now. This is not just Naas but every area they are in, as far as I know. They will also be updating their website at that time.

How far do they transmit?
    ===================
    I haven't a clue but they did say that you might be patchy further up the main street, so it depends on where you live. But talk to them. They are very understanding. They will give you a 30 day trial without obligation. Hoever, they will ask you to sign a contract for 12 months and give Credit Card or Bank details. It is then up to YOU to cancel before the 30 days if it's not working for you. Just be careful. Nothing strange here, they all do it :)

If you have any other questions, just gimme a shout. If I know the answer, I'll tell ye. The one question I won't answer is the likes of "What was the guys name you were talking to?". I'm going to answer those questions with a... "I'm not telling you" for various reasons. So don't be upset.

Keith

Right, I posted this to another thread a few minutes ago but in the interest of keep you all up to date, as you all have been most supportive....

I just pasted the posting in here as I didn't want to type it out again, but you'll get the jist.

And kaizersoze, you'll see that I'm using your suggestion so kudos to ye. I owe you loads of pints IF we ever rub shoulders.

==================================

I got ClearW*re a week ago in Naas. Have had no problems at all.

2Mb Down : 256Kb up. irishisptest.com shows about 1.8Mb:190Kb so I can't complain.

I use Esat BT for VPN and surfing and use Clearwire soley for VoIP. Works a treat. I don't use a public VoIP server but rather our private H.323 connection but I have had no problems with it.

They don't supply Static IP at the moment but mine hasn't changed at all today which is great. However, they are assigning my a static DHCP IP on Monday which will be tied to the MAC address of my router so I can do my VoIP without problem.

On thing I did find was, their radio "modem" is a DHCP server so it can sometimes interfere with your router DHCP server, depending on which is turned on first. Not a major problem for most but if you need control of your internal ip numbering [which I do], it could pose a problem.

Technically, their radio isn't a DHCP server but connects to their DHCP server in their main office, so their head tech guy said. I couldn't believe it, their head tech guy [again, I don't give out names, so don't ask :)] rang me yesterday to talk about my concerns of their product. I've NEVER been treated that way with IBB. It might seem like a small thing, but it made me feel that they cared about their customers which is something I've never felt with IBB.

He said that they are "thinking" about releasing business packages with Static IP and maybe a 512Kb upload but this is further down the line, maybe next year. For now, I have to have two connections. As soon as my Esat contract is up, I WILL be getting a second clearwire unit.

It's still early days but things are looking good.

Comreg got involved and IBB will be removing their equipment next Wednesday. Why was it soooo hard in getting in touch with IBB. They have a lot to answer for....

Case closed.

• Advertisement

IrishTLR wrote:
    Comreg got involved and IBB will be removing their equipment next Wednesday. Why was it soooo hard in getting in touch with IBB. They have a lot to answer for....

Case closed.

any compensation ?

None, although a week or two ago they refunded a month or two. Nothing in comparison to what I went through. Anyway, it's not about the money. I'm just glad to be rid of them.

Just a quick update to, hopefully, finish off this thread once and for all.

It has finally happened. I've been let go. Didn't come as a major surprise but for different reasons. Our department has been in a bit of a mess for ages. Our [American] company is outsourcing our support department so they are letting most of us go in April. I'm over the moon about it, though. I was going to quit in January anyway. Now they are paying ME to leave. Happy days :)

About an hour after I heard the news, one of our customers in Switzerland offered me a job there. Off I go :)

*EDIT* The morning after, my girlfriend told me that I was laughing in my sleep all night. Very funny but I'm sure you had to be there, well maybe not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

IrishTLR wrote:
    Just got a call back from the Advertising Standards body also a few minutes ago. They are very interested in IBB's advertising policy. They asked me to put my complaint in wirting so I'm doing that on their website now.

Link us please!!! Make it a sticky, lets force the mofo's into sorting their network out. They cost me an arm and a leg with having to pay other BB providers hefty setup fee's and whatnot.

I'd love to chuck an axe at them.

I'm also really glad to hear things worked out for you :)

It's nice when that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well no thanks to IBB though. My IBB went down last night at 7pm and I asumed it was them up to their uasual tricks. Turned out my kids kicked the power switch to the ariel with their foot. So cause IBB had been so bad I never thought to check this till this morning.
    Still good to hear things worked out for ya man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Taking legal action against IBB, im not sure about IBB, but i know with other ISP unless you have a business line and business package, then there not countable for your loss of earning's. I think your wasting your time and money going after them, but i could be wrong. The end of the day you chose to go to IBB and you knew what you were signing up for.

Best of Luck, i think you'll need for that.

Advertisement