Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband ? - Not on your life after reading about them here

• 27-07-2005 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Just to support you guys who are having nightmares with IBB i'll write this post to let you know what effect your posts here are having.

In fact after initial enquiries to IBB i got a call back from them the other day. Now had i not read all of the posts here on their QOS i would have signed up, but i declined the offer.

Myself and 4 others here at work have decided that we are going to get into gaming. The choice we had made for our connections (4 only have 56K at the moment) was IBB because of the fast upload speed.
    Over the past couple of weeks we have been reading all we can on the BB services. After all of this reading, especially here, we have decided that there is not a chance in hell of us EVER signing up for IBBs service.

So now we will look elsewhere and advise anyone who may ask us NOT to subscribe to IBB.

So rest assured your posts are not going unnoticed.

Also i think that this post and any replies should be sticky'd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

dude, with 24 posts, you just about have the right to post a thread, nevermind requesting a sticky :)

I can't really comment on IBB in the normal sense, I have a business line with them, and despite having problems, (thanks to ComReg) these have been sorted and I have a much better service base with them.

the consumer side of it is defo SH!TE though from what I hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

We just moved to them here in work. I had no say unfortunately :-( Constant timeouts and page cannot be found and thats just browsing the web! Sales people are doing online demos of our software, it's not doing their sales any good when they keep disconnecting I can tell you. "I'm sorry about this our ISP is crap" just doesn't cut it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Well, I'm glad the posts are having the right effect. Maybe when IBB realise the loss of customers is continually growing they will decide to do something about it (I doubt it though).

Some one at IBB needs to be shot (or the very least sacked) for not seeing this problem earlier and rectifying it.

Gegarty, I would tell them at work to start looking for another provider, it doesn't look like this is going to get sorted for some time yet.

The quest for broadband continues ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Mabye if IBB actually purchase more backhaul then there wouldnt be so many complaints!

Cheap Bastards running a ISP on a thread bare budget!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Adey2002 wrote:
    Well, I'm glad the posts are having the right effect. Maybe when IBB realise the loss of customers is continually growing they will decide to do something about it (I doubt it though).

Some one at IBB needs to be shot (or the very least sacked) for not seeing this problem earlier and rectifying it.

Gegarty, I would tell them at work to start looking for another provider, it doesn't look like this is going to get sorted for some time yet.

The quest for broadband continues ...

Not seeing the problem earlier? They haven't been "seeing" the problem for 3 years. I signed up with the in 2002 and they were absolute crap then. Looks like nothing has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Well in their defense ive not had any problems before/since the theething problems during the upgrade on the std. 2Mb home line.

"So now we will look elsewhere and advise anyone who may ask us NOT to subscribe to IBB.
    "

Also i dont think the OP has any right to make comments of this nature not because he is new to boards.ie but based on the fact he or anyone he knows by the sound of the post have ever had FIRST HAND experience with IBB.

I got IBB even after reading all the nightmare stories on here and have never looked back. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

Of course i have the right to make comments like that.

In the past 6 months i have advised 2 of my clients to use IBB because they cant get DSL on their own lines. Usually i advise them to get wired DSL but not everyone can get it. I had DSL before i moved house, was one of the first to get it, so i know what i'm talking about. Before wireless was available in my area, i tried numerous methods including satellite to get broadband to my house in the sticks.

Both the companies that i advised to use IBB have complained on numerous ocasions about it. One even pointed me to boards to read the complaints on here. And then i see many many more complaints about them.
    Now to be honest, having heard from just the 2 companies i would have signed up with IBB anyway, due to the high upload speed and that 2 bad experiences is not a bucketful and may not be the norm, but then i got more info on boards that turned me away from IBB.

So of course i have the right to advise people to stay clear. And to state the decision myself and some friends have come to. And to advise anymore clients i have to stear well clear. When taking a sample you take a broad sample not just one connection, such as yours optiplexgx270 which might be ok.
    Boards.ie is the perfect place to find the experiences of several users and weigh up your decision based on that.

What i deduced from boards and my clients.

1 - IBB have a crap service.
    2 - IBB have rubbish engineers.
    3 - IBBs customer service is woeful to say the least.
    4 - IBB Lie to you and say they have fixed your issue and then do nothing.
    5 - If you have a problem with IBB it may never be sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

In the past 6 months i have advised 2 of my clients to use IBB because they cant get DSL on their own lines. Usually i advise them to get wired DSL but not everyone can get it. I had DSL before i moved house, was one of the first to get it, so i know what i'm talking about. Before wireless was available in my area, i tried numerous methods including satellite to get broadband to my house in the sticks.

Both the companies that i advised to use IBB have complained on numerous ocasions about it. One even pointed me to boards to read the complaints on here. And then i see many many more complaints about them.
    Now to be honest, having heard from just the 2 companies i would have signed up with IBB anyway, due to the high upload speed and that 2 bad experiences is not a bucketful and may not be the norm, but then i got more info on boards that turned me away from IBB.

So of course i have the right to advise people to stay clear. And to state the decision myself and some friends have come to. And to advise anymore clients i have to stear well clear. When taking a sample you take a broad sample not just one connection, such as yours optiplexgx270 which might be ok.
    Boards.ie is the perfect place to find the experiences of several users and weigh up your decision based on that.

well put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

6 - IBB still take your money even you dont get what you paid for.
    7 - Problems take on average 2-3 months to fix
    8 - They try tell you there is nothing wrong with youre crap connection ot tell you that its only 512 conection
    9 - Pings are so bad you will be kicked off game servers or not connect at all
    10 - it cant be used for VOIP
    11 -They have a wireless link between D15 and Tallafornia and this often gets conjested. Fine if you live in Tala but not in D15. Talafornia is sitting on the fiber.
    12 - They blame com reg for there own inadquacies. Waiting on a TV livence or something they say.
    13 - its raining and im balming that on them tooo.

I Dont think this thread needs a stickey to be fair it will get enough atttention as it is.

Thinking of using it for gaming? look at this, IM 1st-IB spoky(Maj) and that was a clan match last night. Nice ping! not
    Clanpings.GIF

6 - IBB still take your money even you dont get what you paid for.
    7 - Problems take on average 2-3 months to fix
    8 - They try tell you there is nothing wrong with youre crap connection ot tell you that its only 512 conection
    9 - Pings are so bad you will be kicked off game servers or not connect at all
    10 - it cant be used for VOIP
    11 -They have a wireless link between D15 and Tallafornia and this often gets conjested. Fine if you live in Tala but not in D15. Talafornia is sitting on the fiber.
    12 - They blame com reg for there own inadquacies. Waiting on a TV livence or something they say.
    13 - its raining and im balming that on them tooo.

I Dont think this thread needs a stickey to be fair it will get enough atttention as it is.

Thinking of using it for gaming? look at this, IM 1st-IB spoky(Maj) and that was a clan match last night. Nice ping! not
    Clanpings.GIF

lol

• Advertisement

Kicking ass with 240ms pings are we???......doubtfull!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Good going the list is up to 13.. Lets see how many more things we can blame IBB for
    14) Thier engineers wont get out of thier van if its raining (Which is thier fault anyway, see 13 above)

beller b wrote:
    Good going the list is up to 13.. Lets see how many more things we can blame IBB for
    14) Thier engineers wont get out of thier van if its raining (Which is thier fault anyway, see 13 above)

15. Thier techies love the words "tracert" , "restart" your ariel "looks fine on my side"

16) They NEVER return calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

17 they never respond to emails, what type of company that is in the 'internet' business doesnt anwer emails ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Thaed wrote:
    17 they never respond to emails, what type of company that is in the 'internet' business doesnt anwer emails ffs.

If their conectivity is bad as mine, they're probably still waiting for your headers to download.

18) They dont come on time....(or at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

*yawn* isn't all this ibb bashing getting a bit repetitive?

the jew wrote:

No, what's getting repetitive is people comenting on how repetitive the ibb bashing is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

the jew wrote:

Yes but deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Heh ...
    I personally think their great, <9ms pings to Heanet, constantly get speed paid for, excellent service (the odd time I've had to deal with them).

If I tried really hard, I could probably bitch about the colour of the antennae, and them not painting it the colour of my choice. Other than that (and them not providing me with free beer), I really cannot say anything bad about them,

So my conclusion is that your all leeching the hell out of the line, and on top of that your whiney/moany feics who've nothing better to do than bitch on boards.
    I hope IBB continue their current service.

SeanOS wrote:
    Heh ...
    I personally think their great, <9ms pings to Heanet, constantly get speed paid for, excellent service (the odd time I've had to deal with them).

If I tried really hard, I could probably bitch about the colour of the antennae, and them not painting it the colour of my choice. Other than that (and them not providing me with free beer), I really cannot say anything bad about them,

So my conclusion is that your all leeching the hell out of the line, and on top of that your whiney/moany feics who've nothing better to do than bitch on boards.

your conclusion is slighty right of your rectum tho.

Even if I wanted to leech I couldn't possibly, I'd leech more from a 14.4k modem.

I know some boards users have a tendancy to whine at the drop of a packet, but in this case I think it's warranted, IBB have admitted they have an issue, they have admitted they don't have enough capacity to meet the demand, this problem is not in our heads it's very real.

As far as leeching is cocerned all I ask for is half decent latency to most irish sites for ssh to work it's not about not being able to download 100 divx's a night.

I'm over the moon you're response time is so low to HEAnet that's fantastic, but you're in the minority it looks and it's not good enough.

And what do you reckon Sean??, all the unhappy campers are all telling porkies & they all have a really great connection & they just feel like moaning everyday for the hell of it????
    OK so your happy thats great I trilled for you..But the vast majority are not.. We know for a fact IBB read these forums so this is everybody using boards to try & make a difference.. If your connection is so good why should you care that everyone else is complaining. There is a little "x" in the top right hand corner of your screen. If you don,t like what's been said click on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

SeanOS wrote:

I don't even reach 3Gb/month using IBB, I don't download files, I just (try to) use it for VoIP, browsing,collecting my mail and a little gaming. So I would hardly say I'm leeching. So that is not the reason why IBB is so crap for me. I wouldn't sit so smugly there if I were you. My connection was perfect a couple of months ago.. It may be your area next that gets oversubscribed.

SeanOS wrote:

1st of all its not a line ! and 2ndly if you call using the interenet for everyday use whining your so some man ! why have" always on interent (quoting IBB add) when you cant always use it !!!

some poor guys is loosing money for his buinsess becuase he cant use IBB for his product !

I DONT CALL THIS WHINING !! but a FACT

dope

SeanOS wrote:

Some pretty strong words there SeanOS.
    I hope your ready for the inevitable backlash!!!
    ======================================
    Haha...well the backlash has already started it seems!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

My heart bleeds for ye all just as a friend has downloaded for my connection 1.2Gb in less than 3 hours 12:00-15:00. And all the ppl i know with it have had minor problems tbh but all sorted out with minimal hassel bar one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I challenge whoever the gnome in IBB is that's given the job to read this and select boards users for special 'treatment' to come clean and tell us your boards username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

About that gnome from IBB,
    he nows who you are from your IP, All they do is look at their Gateway log. match the time with your post and the time on the router and bing go they have your name.

A good few months back I PM'ed Oldtitan, for some help with my connection. he email me with out knowing it. but my problems where sorted out. "the VoIP was crap."

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement