Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband ? - Not on your life after reading about them here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

ntlbell wrote:
    I know some boards users have a tendancy to whine at the drop of a packet.....

Great line. :D

I know I'm in the minority but I have had little probs with IBB, I know this is hardly gonna help the original poster but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Good! It looks like the whining at the drop of a packet might be working..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

SeanOS wrote:
    Heh ...

So my conclusion is that your all leeching the hell out of the line, and on top of that your whiney/moany feics who've nothing better to do than bitch on boards.
    I hope IBB continue their current service.

Dam right im leeching like hell. Thats all the connection is for at 48 yoyos a month id better get something out of it. If IBB doesent work with every one leeching a lot they should impose a CAP. Im thinking about trying to going over to the 1 meg with the 30 gig cap. If I thought i would get good pings off it I would go for it.
    Why dont they just cap the service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

SeanOS wrote:
    Heh ...
    I personally think their great, <9ms pings to Heanet, constantly get speed paid for, excellent service (the odd time I've had to deal with them).

If I tried really hard, I could probably bitch about the colour of the antennae, and them not painting it the colour of my choice. Other than that (and them not providing me with free beer), I really cannot say anything bad about them,

So my conclusion is that your all leeching the hell out of the line, and on top of that your whiney/moany feics who've nothing better to do than bitch on boards.
    I hope IBB continue their current service.
    I think to be honest it's a matter of luck as to how well set-up the connection is and as to how many people are on the mast you're set to. I'm happy with the service so far as I can play the games I want and the upload/download are way better than dial-up both for surfing (helped me win a few eBay auctions over the weekend when people tried "snipe" me and I've run speed tests a number of times randomly since getting it) and for when actually downloading (~80Kb/s). The pings are ~200ms, but it's had no negative impact on any of my games so far, & it did drop to below 1Mb for a few minutes at one point but that was all. If they could get all the connections set-up this well that'd help satisfy a lot of people, no help to those looking for ultra low pings but at least the rest would be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I suspect that a lot of the IBB grief is location based. There are some users that have had 100% perfect service for extended periods. There are some people here that have had utterly horrific service levels. And I suspect that the majority of the unhappy users are either on unsubscribed masts, or masts that are not connected by fiber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

sharingan wrote:
    I suspect that a lot of the IBB grief is location based. There are some users that have had 100% perfect service for extended periods. There are some people here that have had utterly horrific service levels. And I suspect that the majority of the unhappy users are either on unsubscribed masts, or masts that are not connected by fiber.
    I don't think it's that simple as there are people here who are on the same mast but complete opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of how happy they are with the service. I would be interested in seeing a mast by mast breakdown, further subdivided by the package they're on, of what people are getting in terms of:
    Download
    Upload
    Pings
    Packet Loss

A standard site would need to be agreed upon for testing the pings and packet loss.
    If people need motivation for this think of it as building yet more evidence that the problem lies on the IBB network as if everyone on one mast with a certain package is suffering the same then it's IBB, if not it's a problem with your mast's line of site or that it wasn't set-up & installed correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dillon_the_rabb

Drapper wrote:
    some poor guys is loosing money for his buinsess becuase he cant use IBB for his product !

Well Said! I have just lost a job worth over €2500 to me, because I wasn't able to FTP changes to a new web application on my client's servers in time for thier expected launch date. Rest assured I will be looking to recoup the loss from IBB, once that is of course, I have changed back to my old BB supplier.

I am not a happy bunny :mad:

DTR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

They will listen if you cancel the direct debit! They are officially the worst ISP in the country by far. We have Netsource lines, Eircom lines and had an esat bt line so I can speak from experience. Unfortunately we (the Irish People) have made IBB the 2nd biggest ISP in the country and I'm sure they are still gaining lots of new customers weekly.

IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY. TELL YOUR BANK TO STOP THE DIRECT DEBITS. IF THEY WON'T THEN TELL THEM YOU WILL CLOSE YOUR BANK ACCOUNT. GET CABLE OR DSL. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I can understand the average Joe Soap being stung by IBB..What I can,t understand is the amount of Boards.ie users who are still signing up to, or still using the service even after all that is being posted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Well Said! I have just lost a job worth over €2500 to me, because I wasn't able to FTP changes to a new web application on my client's servers in time for thier expected launch date. Rest assured I will be looking to recoup the loss from IBB, once that is of course, I have changed back to my old BB supplier.

I am not a happy bunny :mad:

DTR

Oh get real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Gearoid28

Never from day one have i got anything near what their selling. isdn is about as good as i get for a 2m line. I have stopped any more payments to them and looking about getting what i have payed back from them. They have not held up their end of the contract. In form them it would not be a good idea to have any one up ladders around my house. As i would treat them as some one treathening my family. Gangster is what they are, And their all laughing at each and every one of us. For taking the service with them. Dont be to Surprised if the Company just folds and does a runner with all our money. Now you might say Im ranting, but I have called IBB time and time again. Wasted so much time and money calling them. Should match on the head office. and stop talking about it. As its getting us no where. Good old witch hunt is whats needed. lol
    If some one stole 50 euro on you im sure you be not happy. Thats what their doing as they have lied from the start and continue to lie to this day. 3 months of it im having with them. Fell better now for getting that out. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Go IBB , Go

40% [=============> ] 127,424 809.91B/s ETA 03:54

it's like a turtle race sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

posted by beller_b

"There is a little "x" in the top right hand corner of your screen. If you don,t like what's been said click on it."

you windows users have no respect for your superior mac using cousins....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Service was down completely for me all last night. *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Praetorian wrote:
    IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY. TELL YOUR BANK TO STOP THE DIRECT DEBITS. IF THEY WON'T THEN TELL THEM YOU WILL CLOSE YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.
    That's good advice. Maybe if everyone who is not getting the service they pay for stopped paying then IBB would do something. However, this also leaves you in the position of breaking your contract. Of course IBB broke it first by not providing the service but it may land you in legal limbo. A solicitor perhaps, as in another thread someone mentioned they were talking to their solicitor about IBB.

OT but on the banks issue, I know from experience that AIB seem to think you have no right to cancel a direct debit on your own account, but you must contact the recipient and get them to cancel it. This is BS, the account is yours, the money is yours and the direct debit is also yours and was authorised by you in the first place. If you want to stop a direct debit you just need to tell the bank, there's not need to get the recipient to do it. I'm with BOI and have cancelled many direct debits directly with them without problem. If your bank refuses, tell them you'll take your business elsewhere.
    Oh get real.
    That's a useful comment :rolleyes: I suppose you know for a fact that dillon_the_rab is a liar and that his business isn't loosing money because of IBBs lack of service? It's you who needs to get real if you believe that incompetence on this scale isn't costing people money.

Everyone with IBB problems should see the sticky at the top where Thaed is collating IBB complaints.

beller b wrote:
    I can understand the average Joe Soap being stung by IBB..What I can,t understand is the amount of Boards.ie users who are still signing up to, or still using the service even after all that is being posted...

some of us cant get anything else.

adonis wrote:
    posted by beller_b

"There is a little "x" in the top right hand corner of your screen. If you don,t like what's been said click on it."

you windows users have no respect for your superior mac using cousins....

didn't you mean gay?

no darling, as a matter of fact id dint, i meant superior..or higher in life form...but u wouldnt understand that, with your pentium processor..
    anyway, i went for eircom broadband ahead of the rest..
    im in d15 - no smart..IBB to all intents and purposes is a load of horse manure, and im an ex-eircomnet employee, so yknow..free support when it all comes crashing down around my ears..and it defo wont be the mac's fault..

Chappelle_Show-imac.mpg tbh
    also I find it funny that you are pimping ppc when mac announce they are switching to x86. Although I must agree the mini mac would make a nice gentoo box :p

• Advertisement

adonis wrote:
    no darling, as a matter of fact id dint, i meant superior..or higher in life form...but u wouldnt understand that, with your pentium processor..
    Humm interesting seing as how Apple themselves have dropped the Ibm chips and will soon be using Pentium chips eah my retarded cousin? :p

Source:
    http://www.svdaily.com/apple13.html

jor el wrote:
    That's a useful comment :rolleyes: I suppose you know for a fact that dillon_the_rab is a liar and that his business isn't loosing money because of IBBs lack of service? It's you who needs to get real if you believe that incompetence on this scale isn't costing people money.

Everyone with IBB problems should see the sticky at the top where Thaed is collating IBB complaints.
    I'm talking about his idea of getting the money back off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

This thread is chaos, quite entertaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Gearoid28

Don't pay the wasters. Let them take you to court and lets see if they can take all the bad media reports when people start talking to the press. Tell the papers that should folk to stay away from a wireless free service that doesnt work for 1000's of people. This company is making a killing with our hard earned money. All we are getting is 2 fingers off them. Sick of them and there lies. Well if i get no joy this week. Im heading to the offices to find out what there going to do And demand a refund and the cost of calls to their non-tech support.wheres Watch Dog when you need them.

i bet the reason your IBB is slow is because you are all using windows XP or something along those lines..personally i think mac osX is OS perfection..apart from windows 98 though, now there was an os...anyway, back to BB...cant wait to get my eircom one going, pity there isnt many online games for mac :-(
    dont get IBB
    exit stage left

adonis wrote:
    i bet the reason your IBB is slow is because you are all using windows XP or something along those lines..personally i think mac osX is OS perfection..apart from windows 98 though, now there was an os...anyway, back to BB...cant wait to get my eircom one going, pity there isnt many online games for mac :-(
    dont get IBB
    exit stage left

I hate mac users, I truly do. Granted the above poster is clearly an idiot and 5 years old, but it really is that sentiment that continues on and makes mac heads the scum of the earth. Diabolical superiority complex.
    Eat **** and die and may you never experience a real operating system. ;)

lets not turn this into ANOTHER Unix Vs Windows Vs Macos, please? but we all know x86 is better than mac :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

but a mac IS unix and it will run on a PC , see http://osx86project.org/

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh never mind

Awwwww, but thats where all the fun is.
    some stuff just gets on my tits :)

• Advertisement

i know macos is based in linux but it isn't free is it(i dont know tbh)?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement