Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is QoS important?

Options
  • 27-07-2005 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the process of getting broadband in.
    Will be leaving the supplied modem in it's box and getting a Netgear DG834GTB. This will provide modem/router/wireless for me. (1 wired PC, 1 wired printer, 1 wired laptop and 2 wireless laptops). I will also get a Sipura 3000 ATA for VOIP, as I need an ATA which has PSTN pass-through.

However none of the above devices provide QoS. My DSL speed will be 2Mb/192Kb.

Is there any other way to give priority to the VOIP when making a call, in case someone is taking up a lot of the bandwidth? Or would I be ok with this setup?

Or can someone recommed a better setup than the above? Need as few devices as possible, modem has to be annex-b, so this limits options, and PSTN pass-through is a must.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

QOS will be vital to make any kind of use out of VOIP with your setup.
    In my experience the most successful / cheapest option is to buy a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, load on ddwrt firmware and use this to provide your QOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

jester77 wrote:
    My DSL speed will be 2Mb/192Kb.
    modem has to be annex-b
    Is this for an installation in Germany or somewhere? Annex B for ADSL over ISDN is not common in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

iano wrote:
    Is this for an installation in Germany or somewhere? Annex B for ADSL over ISDN is not common in Ireland.

Yes, Germany. I've ordered the Netgear DG834GTB. I think I will order the GrandStream 488 as it has PSTN pass-through and provides QOS. Exactly what I am looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

jester77 wrote:
    Yes, Germany. I've ordered the Netgear DG834GTB. I think I will order the GrandStream 488 as it has PSTN pass-through and provides QOS. Exactly what I am looking for!

I'm not sure that you'll get the QOS you expect with this combination unless the Netgear able to handle it. Any ATA behind a router won't really do much about QOS on its own except theoretically "support" it - it's the router that must prioritise VoIP ahead of various other outbound traffic. The Linksys WRT54G and its various firmwares have all sorts of QOS options but you'd need an ADSL modem device along with it as it doesn't have one built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Yep you'll need the adsl modem alright. My own setup is Netopia DSL Modem in Bridge Mode -> WRT54G Running DDWRT -> NAT -> Internal Network & ATA.
    I have prioritised H323 & SIP as well as the MAC address of the ATA and the port that it's plugged into, so in theory I have physical, network and application level prioritisation.
    I'm not sure which (if not all) of these is doing the business but the setup works well for me in a situation with marginal upstream bandwidth (Eircom DSL) and heavy network use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement