Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warning: Petrol Price Hike

Options
  • 27-07-2005 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

I suggest topping up your tanks on the way home tonight. This is getting ridiculous....

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/07/27/story213666.html
    Texaco to raise petrol prices from midnight
    27/07/2005 - 15:43:47

From midnight tonight the price of petrol could be taking a massive leap.

Texaco have suggested that retailers should put unleaded up to €1.21 and diesel up to €1.17.

If this happens, it will mean prices will have jumped 20% compared to this time last year.

Michael Kilcoyne of the Consumers Association says the petrol price war is getting out of hand.

Mr Kilcoyne said: "There is no price control on the price of petrol.

"It is really up to the seller of the petrol to decide whether he wants to charge a euro or two euro per litre. At the end of the day, once he displays the price on the forecourt, he can charge what he likes."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Ouch. No reports on whether other companies are to follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I suggest re-discovering the joys of walking/cycling/taking the bus/Luas, at this pleasant time of year particularly, and let the forecourt people understand sharpishly that competition is supposed to work with lowering prices, not the other way around :D;)

Edit - incidentally, if anyone knows of an electric scooter FS, I'm game (the full Vespa-sized one, that is, not the kiddie version)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Jesus H Christ!!!

This is fcuking madness! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's ridiculously expensive, but I'm glad I'm on a bike. I can still fill her up for less than €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Where are texaco getting this?
    Why now?
    In short, "why, Texaco?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Will definitely be filling the tank on the way home.

Petrol for the car is costing me more than my rent at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

thats gonna hurt the wallet, really makes me wish i didn't quit my job last week and i know i've only another few miles in the tank. time to bite the bullet later i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

its only going to get worse people... worse and worse and worse... there will be no let up, and if there is it will only be temporary.

we are on the downslope to a whole heap of trouble.......

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah,

With the Northern Hemisphere now heading towards winter and demand increasing for fuel prices are only going to get higher I'm afraid.

How long before the truckers start blocking our roads again.

The Government needs to start reducing tax on fuel to offset this hike, they take something like 60% in tax from the price of a litre of petrol.

Looks like I will be looking at one of those Prius things. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

jimbling wrote:
    its only going to get worse people... worse and worse and worse... there will be no let up, and if there is it will only be temporary.

we are on the downslope to a whole heap of trouble.......

Yeah I think the age of cheap fuel is over.How much oil is left 10 years 40 years? U are gonna see more oil wars on Fox News.All this is enought to drive a man to the dreaded black pump...... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Still pretty cheap, in fairness. Only Luxembourg has (fractionally) cheaper petrol than Ireland of the countries I've been to in the last six months, and there's sod-all tax on it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Still pretty cheap, in fairness. Only Luxembourg has (fractionally) cheaper petrol than Ireland of the countries I've been to in the last six months, and there's sod-all tax on it there.

Well yeah but they don't pay anywhere near the same when you take Insurance, road tax and VRT into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

TmB wrote:
    I suggest topping up your tanks on the way home tonight. This is getting ridiculous....

Lucky i filled up this mornin passin thru moate at 104.5 per ltr :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

I do drive a lot with my job but I just don;t think the government should reduce the tax on petrol.

Ireland is becoming like america with people drivng large Gas guzzler gars.

WE need to tax petrol to encourage people out of the car.
    As for those who need to use cars to get to work cos the've no public transport. Car pool saves money and the envrionment.

Though the big issue isn't how I spend on petrol thtaI put intyo my car.
    The cost of delivering goods will go up and so too wiull the price of everything. If petrol prices keep increasing it will have a big impact on the products that we import. Not to mention products which use oil as a raw material/ or as a fuel for the process. And the cost of electricity generated from crude Oil

I do drive a lot with my job but I just don;t think the government should reduce the tax on petrol.

As for those who need to use cars to get to work cos the've no public transport. Car pool saves money and the envrionment.

Though the big issue isn't how I spend on petrol thtaI put intyo my car.
    The cost of delivering goods will go up and so too wiull the price of everything. If petrol prices keep increasing it will have a big impact on the products that we import. Not to mention products which use oil as a raw material/ or as a fuel for the process. And the cost of electricity generated from crude Oil

Can somebody slap some sense into this lad i think he left it some where, who in their right mind would come out with a statement like this :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Nothing wrong, per se, with the sentiment he/she expresses; whether you agree with it or not is another story. It's about as ridiculous as every year ASH saying the govt should slap a fiver onto a packet of fags so as to encourage people to give up...

ultimately, if you need the car, you need the car. I'm lucky in that I only 'need' mine for weekend jaunts about the place, but I would think (and shoot me for being wrong here) that there's nothing ideologically wrong with car-pooling; Surely where it can work, it should work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

I think it will hit the transport industry hard, I know one haulage contractor who's already gone to the wall over increasing fuel prices. Apart from frequent pitstops from a decreased range, I don't really think rich folk driving 'gas guzzlers' will give two sh/ts about this to be honest, it's the parsimonious Tdi head-wrecking anoraks who'll be most upset ;)

By all means i agree with Car Pooling and public transport, but public Transport where i live is sh!te, one night i waited 45 mins for a 10 oclock bus, asked the driver what was the delay, and was told traffic :D so i depend on my car all the time to get in and out of work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

anyone know how to make red diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

its odd that there is not a word on this price hike on either RTE or TV3 news' considering it would have huge effect on the economy

• Advertisement

ando wrote:
    anyone know how to make red diesel?

yeah buy green and mix it with tomatto Ketchup :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Michael Kilcoyne of the Consumers Association says the petrol price war is getting out of hand.

Surely a price war means LOWER prices?
    Ive been out of country for quite a while and I nearly died when I saw the petrol prices as they are. This is getting ridiculous.

Anyone who thinks that more tax on petroleum is an answer to issues such as congestion and pollution is missing the point quite badly. It also means they are advocating increased prices in milk, bread, clothes, and just about everything. A major price hike cannot be sustained by the worlds economies. Wars are fought over less. I feel we will start seeing a few more soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

fluffer wrote:
    A major price hike cannot be sustained by the worlds economies. Wars are fought over less. I feel we will start seeing a few more soon.
    Yeah this all part of a bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Are the other oil companies following suit with this big jump?

DC.

Texaco price hike condemned as 'unacceptable'
    28/07/2005 - 08:01:51

The Consumers' Association has condemned Texaco for increasing the price it charges for petrol and diesel.

The company has hiked the price of a litre of unleaded to €1.21, while a litre of diesel now costs €1.17. These prices are around 20% higher than those being charged at this time last year.

Consumers' Association spokesman Michael Kilcoyne said the Government should take action to get the situation under control.

"It is unacceptable the way consumers are being treated in relation to the price of petrol...I demand that the new consumer agency take steps to stop this spiral of price increases," he said.

I demand - that will do lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

has anyone seen prices in Texaco today.
    Have they gone up?

I only passed a maxol today and it was 106c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Good thing I told my dad last night, we filled up E155 at 104.9, that's 60 for the Sonata and MR2 and 35 for the Micra

Sonata ---- 60 ---- 69.21
    MR2 ---- 60 ---- 69.21
    Micra ---- 35 ---- 40.37

Total ---- 155 ---- 178.79

:eek:

Tank was half full last night - put €38 in it at 108.9 to fill it, in Maxol Templeogue - texaco was 109.4 on the Templeogue Dual Carriage Way. Didn't see if it went up this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Tescos is 103.something which is crazy, Maxol and esso are only about 1 or 2cents more expensive. Its gone so fecking expensive to run a car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Filled up at Esso on the N4 inbound for 106.4 today...

Advertisement