Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Smart service in August

• 27-07-2005 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

From mid-August, Smart broadband customers will be able to upgrade their service from 2Mb/ 128K to 2Mb/ 256K.

The upgrade costs €5 per month. So that's 2Mb/ 256K for €40 per month (including line rental).

Garfield.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭chabsey

I would love to use Smart but I think that my exchange (which I'm assuming is Marino) has no plans for being upgraded (or whatever it is that is done to these exchanges).

I say assuming cause I'm buying a house in Marino but haven't moved in yet and have no idea of the phone number it has/used to have. Putting in other Marino phone numbers on the Smart site tells me they've no plans to activate my exchange. Doubly annoying cause Clontarf is right beside me and it's activated.

Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Any chance of a 512k upload service being launched for say €50 incl. LR? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hi,

From mid-August, Smart broadband customers will be able to upgrade their service from 2Mb/ 128K to 2Mb/ 256K.

The upgrade costs €5 per month. So that's 2Mb/ 256K for €40 per month (including line rental).

Garfield,

Good to see 256k up in Ireland for €40 , be that with 1mb down or 2Mb down . That should make some people very happy .

What is the difference between this and your c.€54 a month 2048/256 Business BB product by the way ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

contention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Garfield,

Good to see 256k up in Ireland for €40 , be that with 1mb down or 2Mb down . That should make some people very happy .

What is the difference between this and your c.€54 a month 2048/256 Business BB product by the way ..

Static IP's for one, I'm sure there is dedicated business support lines, what else I'm not sure, you'd have to call their business line
    Gold: 4mb / 512k - 6 Static IP Addresses - €120 per month (ex VAT)
    Silver: 3mb / 256 - 1 Static IP Addresses - €70 per month (ex VAT)
    Bronze: 2mb / 256 - 1 Static IP Addresses - €45 per month (ex VAT)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Great. Now please, please turn on the Nutley exchange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 viccirc

Can anyone post a link to info on the

"c.€54 a month 2048/256 Business BB product"

mentioned above or the

"Bronze: 2mb / 256 - 1 Static IP Addresses - €45 per month (ex VAT)"

I have tried search but keep getting a blank page back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

viccirc wrote:
    Can anyone post a link to info on the

"c.€54 a month 2048/256 Business BB product"

mentioned above or the

"Bronze: 2mb / 256 - 1 Static IP Addresses - €45 per month (ex VAT)"

I have tried search but keep getting a blank page back....

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3032782&postcount=22

That should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jrussell

WizZard wrote:
    Great. Now please, please turn on the Nutley exchange!
    I second that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Fanastic move their Garfield, should certainly be able to catch eircom and many others by the balls, and at €40 / month total, thats still great value. Great Job !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

chabsey wrote:
    I would love to use Smart but I think that my exchange (which I'm assuming is Marino) has no plans for being upgraded (or whatever it is that is done to these exchanges).

I say assuming cause I'm buying a house in Marino but haven't moved in yet and have no idea of the phone number it has/used to have. Putting in other Marino phone numbers on the Smart site tells me they've no plans to activate my exchange. Doubly annoying cause Clontarf is right beside me and it's activated.

Meh.

You might just find your in luck in that you could be on the coolock exchange (depending on where you are exactly) Im not too far up the road from marino & to my surprise Im on the coolock exchange.

If I were moving house Id take smart up in a second, as it is Im just waiting for the number thing to be sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I see GF has Letterkenny on the list as next but when next - week, month, year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

great news for smart customers, unfortunatelly I'm not one :(

Clondalkin, please Clondalkin (I know about Nangar road, but I don't live there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is great news... The wind has been lost from Smart's sails because of Eircom's stalling tactics but announcements like this should keep Smart at the front of prospective customers minds until the Eircom problem is sorted out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

do you think eircom will match this offer too?

EDIT: wow didn't even notice, I hit, 3000 useless posts *stands proudly with his head up*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Doubtfull.....mabye in 3 months if it proves popular with Smart customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Good news all round really..We could have another upgrade on the way sooner than we think..Anyone know the latest on the court case..? I'd go with Smart if the switchover mess was sorted. With BT at the moment.There is no way I am going back to Eircom to switch to Smart....Went too long without BB couldn't face that again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭chabsey

What will the extra 128kb mean for the average user? Just wondering if it'll be worth getting. I don't play games online really, never really use webcams etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nice move by smart but unfortunately for most of the broadband population this means nothing as most of the country cant get smart, lets hope eircom follow this lead but I doubt they will as it is an 'extra' onto the basic smart service rather than a free upgrade. If eircom do follow this up, its unlikely we'll see anything till the usual eircom upgrade zone of March/April which is along time away. If smart were available in my area I would jump at this and pay the extra fiver a month, it would make my gaming experience with xbox live alot smoother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

chabsey wrote:
    What will the extra 128kb mean for the average user? Just wondering if it'll be worth getting. I don't play games online really, never really use webcams etc.

Well it means that you should be able to upload and download more at the same time. I don't play games or use webcam either, but I am strongly considering upping it to 256k, because at the moment if you are hammering out the 128k upstream to the max, you can download feck all at the same time as a small portion of the upstream is used for "overheads". And since it takes quite some time to upload large files at 128k, its a right pain in the arse if you want to download too. So 256k up should help balance it out somewhat.

And as for eircom, I doubt that they will upgrade customers, especially for €5. They'd more likely charge an extra €10 for it, and most likely STILL keep that silly 1GB upstream cap (or did they get rid of that?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

I'll have some of that! Only on for three days but all working grand so far and a doubling of my upload speed would be lovely. My Xbox Live will breathe again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I can't get Smart and in all probability will never be able to but it nice to see them forging ahead and keeping the others on their toes :D
    Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

Garfield,

Do you have any idea when this is going to roll out? I've signed up and was met with a vague "Yep, you're on the list and we'll let you know when it happens".

Cheers,

LB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Come oooon North Main...

Advertisement