Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FM 2005 - Managing a LOI team

• 27-07-2005 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, how did people who managed League of Ireland clubs find their experience. Was it enjoyably tough or just a frustrating cul de sac?

Just finished my second full season with Sligo Rovers and things are going quite well so far. I won the First Division in my first full season in charge, and with three games left this season, I am two points behind Saint Pats. I also won the FAI Cup this season.

To anyone who hasn't tried an LOI team yet, try managing one. It's a very good challenge! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

It is indeed a challange but it gets tougher to advance as the years go by though.I found that with my local team Galway Utd,

I won the league and cup countless times but wasnt able to progress in the CL as my attendences were rubbish and therefore wasnt making that much money.

You can make the CL league stage pretty easily but then your found out as you then begin to struggle to find the calabre of players fit for that stage in order to advance. I

t would be nice if they changed this, make it so when clubs become more sucessfull they can get bigger attendences and become professional as well.No room for improvement in the LOI.

It only works if u cheat but if you do that then whats the point then as cheating ruins the game.

By the way yeatscounty best of luck tomorrow in the match against us, will be tough but we are on a good run so hopefully i wont be eating my words in saying that i think we will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Shelbourne - 2011

Won the league for last 6 years, Uefa Cup last two seasons, throw in with numerous domestic honours, 3 semi final champ league appearances.

Job offers from around 4-5 National teams.

Still need to rotate the squad every 18months, due to players requesting to leave, which makes it more of an achievement.

If you can get a good system, and invest in youth, you will do well. The first two seasons are very very tough. Once you get into europe you're laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    FM2005: (Game Starting Date: March 2004)
    Shelbourne

Still a game in progress...

Uefa Cup:

Champions League:

Euro Super Cup:

Asian/Euro Cup:

World Club Championship:

[edit]
    Just so I put it in, 2011 has been a shítty year on everything except the domestic front!

Still the same as that game, haven't played on in a few months, not had time. Manager of Ireland, and have about £85m in the bank, and several players on ~£50K a week. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

galwaydude: I'm sort of dreading going into the Champions League next season. I won the league and Cup double, but I'm taking a bit of time off from the game to concentrate on exam studies.

Attendances are pretty poor alright, you'd imagine if a team has won the FAI Cup and is playing their last match at home in a potentially Double-winning season that more that 300 fans will turn up, that a 7,500 seater stadium will be filled!

Ah well, I've reduced the clubs debt from over half a million Euros to 50,000........and as thanks, I have been granted no transfer budget for the new season. :mad:

I wasn't at the match in Terryland last Friday, but by most accounts, Rovers were lucky to get away with a draw. You were unlucky to miss the penalty. Four points from the last five games, we've hit a major slump.....

bazH:I've got a couple of excellent youth team players, but after that I'm searching for new talent. My defence has been strengthened in the last season, but I can't buy any of the defenders I want, as I can't buy any players! It's crappy how well over €1,000,000 was awarded to the club in prize money but I get no transfer budget.
    I can't wait until I get my European prize money, even if it is only a few grand for getting knocked out in the first round.

Einstürzende: Nice job! It took you a few years to win European trophies, but once you did, you didn't stop!

£85 million would absolutely own the National League, think of the players you could buy if you could attract them to the LOI!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Im back with Galway United in a new game with the aurora skin which makes it a pretty look new game.

I have just been promoted to the premier and have player 5 games and won 4 and drawn 1.
    I was surprised though i managed to buy that young goalie United just bought ben foster. With the new update you can get some real bargains and hopefully i will be in the champs league next season.

Yep it would be good if attendances matched success.

Slligo are playing limerick next, should be a win for ye as limerick are rubbish and just play longball.
    I hope to god we get something from the dublin city match as we tend to get hammered by them at their place.At least we have levine helping out upfront barry moran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Too easy to do well with Irish clubs in Europe and im not just talking about the Shels , Corks and Bohs of this world im talking about Longford and Bray .

Its true once your in Europe your flying because once you get into Europe you make a lot of profit (even if you only made the 1st round proper of the UEFA CUP) and then next season you can vastly improve your squad and you'll do even better in Europe by some margin and by your third season in Europe you should win either the Uefa Cup(getting to the final would be respectable) or at least reach the last 8 of the Champs League .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

galwaydude wrote:
    Im back with Galway United in a new game with the aurora skin which makes it a pretty look new game.

I have just been promoted to the premier and have player 5 games and won 4 and drawn 1.
    I was surprised though i managed to buy that young goalie United just bought ben foster. With the new update you can get some real bargains and hopefully i will be in the champs league next season.

Yep it would be good if attendances matched success.

Slligo are playing limerick next, should be a win for ye as limerick are rubbish and just play longball.
    I hope to god we get something from the dublin city match as we tend to get hammered by them at their place.At least we have levine helping out upfront barry moran.
    Not a bad start at all, 13 points from a possible 15. I should see about the new update.....

Congrats and thank you for beating Dublin City! It was a great result for you, and now you can make a real push for the Play Off places. We conceded a crummy equaliser in the last minute to Limerick, but we're still level on points with Dublin City despite our poor form. That bodes well for the run in!
    Big Ears wrote:
    Too easy to do well with Irish clubs in Europe and im not just talking about the Shels , Corks and Bohs of this world im talking about Longford and Bray .

Its true once your in Europe your flying because once you get into Europe you make a lot of profit (even if you only made the 1st round proper of the UEFA CUP) and then next season you can vastly improve your squad and you'll do even better in Europe by some margin and by your third season in Europe you should win either the Uefa Cup(getting to the final would be respectable) or at least reach the last 8 of the Champs League .
    I think it'll be a few seasons until I get anywhere near the latter stages of a European competition, haha. My board sucks when it comes to releasing money to transfers, and Sligo Rover's attractiveness to most signings (even to Athlone Town signings for Gods sake!) is incredibly low. That's surprising, as my Rovers have just won the Double, so at least more than a handful of players should want to join the Double winners.

Advertisement