Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ostrich meat?

• 27-07-2005 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know where i can get ostrich meat? around dublin city centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a butchers at the top of Terenure/bottom of Rathgar that sells it. Opposite the big church (not sure of the name).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

sweet, dude in work lives near there and's gonna give me a lift.

yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is ostrich meat nice?, do you have any recipes to cook it that I can shamelessly steal. I want to expand my meat eating horizons ;~).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

It's great stuff, when it first came out in Germany we used to serve it with hollandaise sauce on it and a slice of kiwi fruit, wasn't my invention but it wasn't bad like that.
    I rank it higher than beef filet myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I'm not sure about ostrich meat but most Superquinn branches have a smal section for "exotic meats".
    Tried crocodile (or was it alligator) from there before. Looks the same as chicken when cooked, but is much chewier. I just stirfried it with a few veggies, was quite nice actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ostrich meat is great, like a very tender fillet steak, only better. I've had alligator in the States at a Cajun restaurant, deep fried in a spicy batter a la Kentucky Fried Chicken. It was pretty tasteless IIRC, and a bit "rubbery".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

There's a butchers at the top of Terenure/bottom of Rathgar that sells it. Opposite the big church (not sure of the name).

Downeys Organic butchers for all your crazy meat needs - they have lovely croc steaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Is ostrich meat nice?, do you have any recipes to cook it that I can shamelessly steal.
    Yes it's nice and as with most good food simple preparation is probably the best. I've never had it other than simply fried medium rare.
    I want to expand my meat eating horizons ;~).
    OK think about this
    • Find yourself a good butcher - the difference from supermarket meat or mediocre butchers meat makes it well worth it. The guy I go to is a member of the Craft Butchers of Ireland so that might be something to look out for.
    • You don't have to go as exotic as ostrich. Regular butchers will have/can get cuts of meat people generally don't touch nowadays e.g. liver, kidneys, sweetbreads. I've only ever got really adventurous on this front when eating out but it's never been a bad experience.
    • There's a fishmonger/butcher on Baggot street (opposite the Pembroke Street junction) that does lots of uncommon local meats for local people e.g. guinea fowl, duck, wascally wabbits, etc.

Find yourself a good butcher - the difference from supermarket meat or mediocre butchers meat makes it well worth it. My guy I go to is a member of the Craft Butchers of Ireland so that might be something to look out for.
    Just visited their website thinking I could get a list of butchers in my area who were members. What a silly idea :)

BTW, has anyone ever seen belly pork for sale here in Ireland? Any inquiries I've made have always been met by blank stares. It's pretty widely available in the UK.

Alun wrote:
    Just visited their website thinking I could get a list of butchers in my area who were members. What a silly idea :)

BTW, has anyone ever seen belly pork for sale here in Ireland? Any inquiries I've made have always been met by blank stares. It's pretty widely available in the UK.

The guy in the temple bar market is a craft butcher, he has belly pork, had some cruibins(sp) at the weekend too.

There is a craft butcher in Sandyford village.
    What area are you in?

• Advertisement

Blub2k4 wrote:
    The guy in the temple bar market is a craft butcher, he has belly pork, had some cruibins(sp) at the weekend too.

There is a craft butcher in Sandyford village.
    What area are you in?
    I'm in Bray.

[minor rant]
    This is the problem I have with trying to source decent ingredients here in the area. There are places I can go, and the longer I'm here (I only moved here 4 years ago!), the more places I get to know, but I've got better things to do with my time than spend all day getting into Dublin and walking for miles, or in the car driving around obscure parts of Dublin, getting lost in the process. It wouldn't be so bad if there were clusters of these kind of quality food shops, but they're spread about all over the place. You could literally spend all day driving just to get the ingredients together for any kind of special meal.
    [/minor rant]

near Ferry Terminal, Dun Laoghaire Market, Dublin

Email: Information

that's the closest I could find :(

http://www.irishfarmersmarkets.ie/

that might help.

http://www.fenelons.ie/

in Stillorgan, craft butcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ostrich is lovely cooked semi-rare, and then sliced on a salad. It's a weird cross between liver and beef, i think, but it is lovely. I've bought it in the Superquinn Exotic Meats section, so I know that they stock it.

To the poster who mentioned Pork Belly? Are you referred to cured pork?

To the poster who mentioned Pork Belly? Are you referred to cured pork?
    Nope.

I don't quite know how to explain it so here's a picture . Imagine what would become streaky bacon if it were cured, but usually cut about 1cm thick. You can also usually buy it in a "slab" so that it can be cut into cubes ... useful for all those yummy Chinese "twice cooked pork" type recipes where the pork is first boiled and then stir fried.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    http://www.fenelons.ie/

in Stillorgan, craft butcher
    Thanks! They look the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I get that all the time from a butcher in the English Market here in Cork. I love roast pork belly.

Any decent butcher should have that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Alun wrote:
    Thanks! They look the business.

They are. Was house sitting for my parents back in january and was blown away at the quality and diversity of meat available.

Advertisement