Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more time for WOW,Guild Wars an option?

Options
  • 27-07-2005 5:26pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive had to cancel my world of warcraft subscription as i simply dont have the time to play it.
    Its not the sort of game one can pick up for 30 mins or an hour,you need oceans of time.
    On countless occasions ive had to log out mid quest in the middle of nowhere.
    Unfortunately wow just doesnt fit into my life anymore.
    Ive had it for 2 months ,the first month i played it non stop and totally loved it ,got my warrior character up to level 27.
    The second month i played on three occasions for about an hour.
    Lately ive been playing BF2,COD and DOD when ive time for a quick blast here and there but i long for more mmorpg action.
    I was thinking Guild Wars as i wont have to worry if im getting my moneys worth as it has no subscription.
    Also i hear i could pop on for an hour without too much fuss once i did manufacture some time.
    WOW is awesome and if id the time id never leave it,what do yas reckon of Guild Wars possibly filling this role?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

You slack Cully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Theres very little skill in mmorpgs, its all time time time.. thats why you'll always get beaten by the 14 year old overweight swedes with nothing to do but play 24/7. I don't think theres any mmorpgs you can just pick up for a half hour/hour.

Stick to FPS's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

OP, i was thinking of doing the opposite and dropping Guild Wars in favour of WoW. Guild Wars isn't a bad game, there isn't the same sense of community I've had on other mmorpg's. For some reason people are a bit ignorant on the servers too, as opposed to peops who play everquest 2 who are more than happy to chat to anyone, also the quests are fairly limited with constant repetition of deliver the message to to some asshole on the other side of the map. There's a sever amount of clipping in the landscape too, with you not having the option for free roaming exploring, for example, see a mountain in the distance with a castle on top? wanna reach the summit to check out the area? DENIED, very linear pathways for the combat areas. Graphics ain't mindblowing either, sound repetitive. BUT and a big but is the lack of subscription fees, so if you do get pissed of with it you're not stuck subscribing for the rest of the month when yuo pack it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Dcully wrote:
    Ive had to cancel my world of warcraft subscription as i simply dont have the time to play it.
    Its not the sort of game one can pick up for 30 mins or an hour,you need oceans of time.
    Ive had it for 2 months ,the first month i played it non stop and totally loved it ,got my warrior character up to level 27.
    Lately ive been playing BF2,COD and DOD when ive time for a quick blast here and there but i long for more mmorpg action.
    I was thinking Guild Wars as i wont have to worry if im getting my moneys worth as it has no subscription.
    Also i hear i could pop on for an hour without too much fuss once i did manufacture some time.
    WOW is awesome and if id the time id never leave it,what do yas reckon of Guild Wars possibly filling this role?

Cully you baaaaaaastard i feel your pain. When i got wow i was unemployed (surprise surprise) and played it all day every day for 2 months. I emerged sometime later, blinking, shielding my eyes from the sunlight, and muttering something about 'those f*cking horde', and wondering what had heppened to my life. Now ive got a job and bf2 i just dont have the time anymore, i guess ill have to cancel my sub sooner or later :(
    (tho i was finding the game a tad boring after i got to lvl 35...just couldnt find any other good quests for my lvl)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Dcully wrote:

I dont rate Guild wars its overrated and its not a patch on wow, but its true you really need lots and lots of time to devote to wow or any of that type of mmorpgs particulary wow which is the best of the lot.

Ive played them all eq1 for 3 years, eq2 for 6 months, wow day and night until i got to lvl 59 warlock, DAoc, AO, UO for a year, and the simple truth I have learned is that its best to just give up on mmorpgs entirely if you dont have the time to play, stick to BF2 and the like your only tortureing yourself otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I'm in the same boat. I've started getting bored of WOW, simply because I can only play for an hour here and there, and that just isn't enough time to get anything done.
    I think I'll just let my subscription run out, and wait until I have more free time to pick it up again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I got on for just over an hour lastnight and all i got done was sell some stuff i had in backpack to a merchant dude in darkshire,got a gryphon ride to stormwind to visit bank,then got train to ironforge to check out stuff i had up for auction,then made some first aid bandages and done some smelting [im a blacksmith].
    Next thing 1 hour and 10 mins had gone by and i hadnt gained any XP and really hadnt done anything :(
    Ive cancelled and can play up till 3rd August but feck that,ive uninstalled im sad to say.
    Damn how i wish i was a school kid on summer holidays with not a care in the world,then again i wouldnt be able to afford an uber pc in the first place then,lol one cant win :)
    WOW is brill but far too much time demanding :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

When you cancel, how do they handle the total payments? Ie. if you cancel after 2 months, do they charge you for a 2 month subscription instead of a 3 month?

Advertisement