Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linguaphone - Good or Bad?

• 27-07-2005 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I am interested in learning french to the point of fluency. I studied it in secondary school but would consider myself still a beginner!

My question is this : Have any of you had any experience with linguaphone? It costs a great deal and I'm just wondering is it good? Does it do exactly what it says on the tin, so to speak. If it says "Beginner to Pro" will someone who takes it seriously get the results they talk about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cecile

I've just had a quick look at Linguaphone. Could not tell you if it's good or bad but if you can spend 100 euro approx. I would suggest the Michel Thomas method. It is quite an effective approach to the language and you will feel you're progressing quickly. You can buy the 8 hour course (CDs, Eason or Waterstones). As a french teacher and native speaker, I would recommend it for beginners. I do not think that one can become fluent in a language after 8 hours...but it is a good way of getting the language (pronounciation and mechanics) into your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭normar

Hi Jimmy,

I have used both Linguaphone and the Michel Thomas methods, and I have to say the Linguaphone is the better method. I say this because there is in the course all the aspects of language learning that you need, vocabulary, aural and writing skills.
    It moves along with nice pace and give detailed explanation of the the finer points. Plus it have just the right amount of repetition of vocabulary throughout the course. But in the end it's personal choice, just that for me its was Linguaphone that I found best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Thanks guys. I am swaying more towards the linguaphone, it seems more thorough. I am not a complete beginner but when learning in school I only became interested a couple of weeks before the end! I've got a bid in on ebay now for linguaphone for 130 euros which is really good considering it costs 255 english pounds to buy it new. Just curious normar, did you use 'linguaphone pro' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I think the Linguaphone would be the best...

These methods of learning french are excellent for beginners...it is a very relaxing way to learn.

Advertisement