Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSM Year 1

• 27-07-2005 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

A few questions cos i'm going into CSM in september, just after finishing CNOC,

How difficult is CSM?
    How many hours per week?
    Is there many projects?
    What classes to avoid? :D

thats all i can think of at the moment!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

A few questions cos i'm going into CSM in september, just after finishing CNOC,

How difficult is CSM?
    How many hours per week?
    Is there many projects?
    What classes to avoid? :D

thats all i can think of at the moment!

How difficult is CSM?

.....lol, it's easy, just go into class and it's piss easy

How many hours per week?

About 25

Is there many projects?

Project in year 2 that is decided for you, usually a vb database management application (easy). Project year three, your own choice

What classes to avoid?

HCI in year 2... i mean, choosing colours? wtf?!
    Project Management year 3... I HATED THIS ****ING CLASS! with the outdated bull**** about "keeping your eyes on the prize"

DO NOT miss a class of maths in year 2 or it'll come up and bite ya on the ass exams time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

why are u doin CSM after CNOC? you can go into CSM3 from CNOC! why go back and do 2 years of a course that'll bring u back to where u are now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The General - well done for getting thru cnoc:)
    U are one of the rare finishers of it!

What is csm again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

yeah i was wondering the same?
    how many years to csm???
    i always thought csm was a 2 year course, usually thought of as bein 3rd and 4th year??
    what sort of jobs do people get out of csm?

you can also branch off into second year of computer networking but there is no second year of that course this year.

oh ye sorry, u must mean ur going into CSM3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭kegan5

if ur starting in CSM3 then its quite 50/50 Laguna has given hours and project info already!

Erm I suppose it depends on what ur interested in, I'm not keen on maths so that subject bored me but like I said...depends on what ur into!

CSM4 is ok much nicer than CSM3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

The_B_Man wrote:
    why are u doin CSM after CNOC? you can go into CSM3 from CNOC! why go back and do 2 years of a course that'll bring u back to where u are now?

:o Oh right so i'm going into CSM Y3 then, so any comments on year 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

:o Oh right so i'm going into CSM Y3 then, so any comments on year 3?
    Year 3 is handy man.
    Just go to the classes and you ll do fine.
    The project is usually a website but you can do what ya want really.
    Just know your project, especially if you get someone else to do it for you

The_Goose wrote:
    Just know your project, especially if you get someone else to do it for you

I doubt that sort of stuff happens much....

You d be surprized....

• Advertisement

Shockin! i hope if anyone did that they paid the person who did their project!

Why would anybody pay for something they can get for free

thats quite true!

How's the goose?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

it really depends on what subjects your into! the linux stuff i thought was the hardest but thats because i never went to class. the projects are usually handy if you put some kinda of work into them and i do recommand going to class as this is where all the s*it happens, (took me a few years to realise that) four year is alot hander than three year, and as for fifth year, i'll let you know when i go back.........

u hit it on the head!
    Who are u?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

A few questions cos i'm going into CSM in september , just after finishing CNOC,

Umm dont ya kinda have to pass cnoc (like i did) before going onto the next year :D

good luck in project repeat :p

::Edit::
    The General - well done for getting thru cnoc :)
    U are one of the rare finishers of it!

Ah tis not that rare 6 outta 8 passed this year with 2 people doing repeats including The General :p , but should be 8 of us at least in csm3. But i seems we're nearly the last finishers of the course due to its joinin up with cw019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i found csm 3 to be very easy. the subjects are a lot more interesting than desktop publishing, hci, training course design etc. for those of you coming from cw019.

the main problem with it seems to be project, a surprising amount of people struggle with it. show up at least once or twice a week and produce some work each time. if you are planning on doing a website for your project get learning asp or php straight away. you will be taught asp but not in a way that you will ever understand.

tbh my attendance was terrible this year. subjects like business management, project management, systems administration you need not attend, simply print the notes and read them at some convienient time.

ise is tough but if you get on top of the practicals you will be fine. systems applications is this strange subject which after a year i still dont know what it is actually about. the best way i can describe it to you is to pick up a book in the library on something like assembly language, open up the middle pages and try to learn it!

so really just keep on top of project and you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

dream brother is really "The Egg Man"
    and a founding member of Hector Pick Axe and the Floating Crow Bars

As for CSM 3 its a piece of piss do your project and dont piss of the angry little man i.e fall asleep in his class he dont like that and i speak from personal experience.

there's nothing at all dificult about CSM3

Ah sure the Goose is fine and yourself misses?
    Cant wait to get back to college and sleep.
    Never been up in time for work for so long.
    May ruin my record and come in late on the last day :)
    Look everybody i learned to spell while i was away!!!

No F7 involved

:o Well done you!
    So your looking forward to returning to college then? Can't say I am but maybe that's coz I have a 17/18 hour drive to look forward too lol plus I haven't gotten accomodation yet, told mum I was sleepin in my car or she could buy me a VW campervan (in pink or orange please) :D

• Advertisement

No woody you gave away my identity! Now you must pay!

egg head? Rittteee yeah now I know! :rolleyes:

Anyone thought up any fabuloso project ideas?

:D im going to set up my own country!
    its an Evolution of a previous plan that involved the Invasion of Wales!
    There was a show on BBC2 on wednesday night about how to start your own country was very Intriguing

Sounds fabulous!
    Maybe u could take wales...detach it from england and take it with you? lol

think i'm gonna do my project on implementing a helpdek into the hospital, which is nice! ye get the placement report done yet?

i still havent recieved an email yet telling us what to f*ckin do!
    stupid college email system :mad:

but its not like i would have done anythin before now any way :rolleyes:

Sure plenty of time in september to do that ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

i found csm 3 to be very easy. the subjects are a lot more interesting than desktop publishing, hci, training course design etc. for those of you coming from cw019.

the main problem with it seems to be project, a surprising amount of people struggle with it. show up at least once or twice a week and produce some work each time. if you are planning on doing a website for your project get learning asp or php straight away. you will be taught asp but not in a way that you will ever understand.

Its meant to even easier coming from cnoc (cw020) to csm3 as you have covered alot of different parts of the course before, an example being the system admin subject we did last year which included creating databases into a webpage using sql/asp which would be handy towards project i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

assembly lanuage dont like the sound of that is that :eek: :(:( :eek:

.MODEL SMALL
    .STACK 200H
    .CODE
    START:

Mov ax, fe00
    Mov ds, ax
    Mov dx, 0
    Mov ah, 09
    Int 21h

mov ah, 4ch
    mov al,00h
    int 21h

END START

any idea of what lectureers we will have and who to watch out for :D:D

Not sure about lecturers...I'm sure they can change can't they?
    We're supposed to be having Enda DuncN though for Emerging Technologies..erm...and Peter Lowe (not sure what for)...
    Then for the projects I'm sure it's the usual lecturers that have been appointed to us for the past 3/4 years :)

• Advertisement

Banned, comments about lecturers not allowed.

Advertisement