Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Artmedia v Celtic CL(Contains Scores)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I wonder if referees will ever manage to punish time wasting. That was a shambles.

Celtic were unlucky, played some fantastic football at times and deserved to go throw. Shambolic defending last week cost them.

I still think they will win the SPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Got bored with the Pool game so switched over for the last 10 mins, I nearly felt sorry for Celtic. Strachan wtf????

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Thank **** for that.

Nothing unlucky about it, it was ART-BLOODY-MEDIA they were facing. Moral victories aside, I'd be embarassed if Shels got knocked out by them. They are a nothing team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

what channel was the celts game on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Awwww fcuk it anyway my heart was in my mouth throughout this game,we were desperately unlucky not have scored just one more goal tonite and bring it into extra time and after last week's disaster and Saturday's one Celtic fans can take heart from tonites fantastic performance.

I thought we played some fantastic Football at times and John Hartson who has been unfairly slated by some Tims played a blinder,easily man of the match,in fact all the Bhoys on that pitch tonite played well in their own way and im gutted after scoring 4 goals we didn't get a little bit of luck and get the fifth we richely deserved,anyway im looking forward to being in Celtic Park this coming Saturday cheering on the Bhoys,we might be out of Euroipe but now we can fully concentrate on reclaiming the title..HAIL HAIL PROUD OF THE BHOYS :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Thats unfortunate for Celtic, played their hearts out!

Although you have to say they screwed themselves with that first leg.

McManus looks like he could be a good centre-half for celtic.
    I still think that Camara needs to be put down, as does Varga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

It was a good effort from Glasgow Celtic but last week was a killer for them.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Thank **** for that.

Nothing unlucky about it, it was ART-BLOODY-MEDIA they were facing. Moral victories aside, I'd be embarassed if Shels got knocked out by them. They are a nothing team.

Would you stop, please, seriously. Artmedia have a couple of current Slovakian internationals in their side and one a fairly decent league, the standard of which is far higher technically than the eL.

Patriotic blinkers aside, Irish football is still pretty poor. And yes, Celtic were unlucky over two legs, by underestimating their opponents and having a new back four which just didnt work at all in the first leg.

Tonight Celtic were rock solid at the back and reduced Artmedia to long range shots. Strachans reputation for doing a lot of stamina work in pre season has bitten him a bit since the team didnt play well as a unit last week. tonight they looked very cohesive and passed the ball well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How the phunk did that team beat Celtic 5-0 jesus they were awful, in every CL game you get one chance only one clear cut dead cert chance. Artyfaries barely had a shot on target.

Jaysus an Irish team got further than Celtic the uber mongus SPL side that would come 3rd in the pl :rolleyes:

Where were all the celtic fans? only 43k at it ?

kdjac

county wrote:
    what channel was the celts game on?

Setanta and BBC Scotland

• Advertisement

They ultimately lost over two legs to Artmedia. That isn't unlucky, it's rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

im not a celtic supporter but sorry to see them go out. Celtic are a team being rebuilt so an offseason is to be expected

KdjaC wrote:

the best fans in the world decided to stay at home it seems.

KdjaC wrote:
    How the phunk did that team beat Celtic 5-0 jesus they were awful, in every CL game you get one chance only one clear cut dead cert chance. Artyfaries barely had a shot on target.

Jaysus an Irish team got further than Celtic the uber mongus SPL side that would come 3rd in the pl :rolleyes:

kdjac

You seem to revel in anti Celtic comments all the time ..sad :rolleyes:

Slash/ED wrote:
    They ultimately lost over two legs to Artmedia. That isn't unlucky, it's rubbish.

kinda like losing to a crap cypriot team, i think they were cypriot anyway. that was shels.

Draupnir wrote:
    kinda like losing to a crap cypriot team, i think they were cypriot anyway. that was shels.

What? :confused:

Eitherway, it is either a compliment to Shels or some inditement on the shambles that is Scottish football that you need to make that comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

TimAy wrote:
    they're out. Highlight was Strachan pushing the other manager.
    That was hilarious!! :D And the way he scampered back to his dugout!!
    So unlucky with 4-0 and so many other chances, but they should never have been 5-0 after the first leg in the first place.
    Hopefully they'll pick themselves back up for the league now.

jonny68 wrote:
    You seem to revel in anti Celtic comments all the time ..sad :rolleyes:

Shockingly im an Anti Celtic!!!!! **** team in a **** league whose irish fans seem to think are a top side.

Well done showed over 2 legs how good you really are.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

That was a Maltese team. :D Even Worse...

But compare Shels with Celtic. Massive difference. Its a disaster for Glasgow Celtic.

• Advertisement

That was a Maltese team. :D Even Worse...

Yeah but back then Celtic were actually able to win in Europe. Times change.

The attendance was actually 50,000+ so only a few thousand short of capacity :p

Celtic 4-0 Artmedia Bratislava
    (Artmedia win 5-4 on aggregate)

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Brave Celtic fell just short of creating European football history as they exited the Champions League despite a four-goal win over Artmedia.

They had to become the first side to ever progress after a 5-0 first-leg defeat but went out on aggregate.

Maciej Zurawski won a penalty and Alan Thompson fired in the opener.

John Hartson drove in the second, a Stephen McManus header deflected in for the third and substitute Craig Beattie nodded in the fourth.

Celtic boss Gordon Strachan, minus the injured Stan Varga and Chris Sutton, had made several changes as he attempted to make up for the humiliating 5-0 defeat in Bratislava.

Wallace, making his first start of the season, was set up by Hartson for an early chance, but the winger fired a couple of feet over the bar from 16 yards.

Zurawski sent a low drive across the face of the Artmedia goal and the Pole was then brought down inside the box by Ondrej Debnar after a knock down by Hartson.

Thompson stepped up to convert the spot kick to give Celtic 70 minutes to score another four goals.

Artmedia, despite bringing in defender Burak for Kotula, did not appear ultra-defensive in an attempt to protect their lead.

And Artur Boruc, making his competitive Celtic debut in place of David Marshall, saved well at the feet of Balazs Borbely, while Juraj Halenar drove across the face of goal, as the home defence remained vulnerable to the break early on.

Juraj Cobej did well in the other goal to push away a rasping free-kick from Thompson.

Hartson increased Celtic's lead on the stroke of half-time as he pounced on a Wallace header, turned his marker on the edge of the box and fired the ball into the far corner.

Substitute Shaun Maloney, on a matter of seconds, set up the third after 54 minutes, driving the ball into the six-yard box, where McManus' header deflected past Cobej.

Hartson and Maloney both fired over, while Cobej saved well from the Celtic substitute and fellow replacement Craig Beattie.

A Stilian Petrov overhead kick slipped just wide as the Slovakian champions lived dangerously in a second half during which they rarely threatened at the other end.

Substitute striker Beattie headed home the fourth goal, but Celtic were left to ponder what might have been had they not conceded so many in Bratislava.

Celtic: Boruc, Telfer, Balde, McManus, Camara, Petrov, Lennon, Thompson (Aliadiere 87), Wallace (Maloney 53), Zurawski (Beattie 63), Hartson.
    Subs Not Used: Marshall, McGeady, O'Dea, Lawson.

Booked: Thompson, Balde.

Goals: Thompson 22 pen, Hartson 45, McManus 54, Beattie 82.

Artmedia Bratislava: Cobej, Obzera, Debnar, Durica, Vascak (Mikulic 74), Tchur, Halenar (Bukvic 87), Borbely, Fodrek, Burak (Stano 67), Kozak.
    Subs Not Used: Hellebrand, Kotula, Gomez, Kollar.

Booked: Debnar.

Agg: (4-5)

Att: 50,063

Ref: Alberto Undiano Mallenco (Spain).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4735857.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Actually the attendance was 43k, i thought strachan pushing the other manager was out of order. The commentators tried to justify it untill they seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Draupnir wrote:

As pointed out it was a Maltese team (which is fecking shocking TBH) but if it was a Cypriot team it wouldn't have been so bad . Especially considering a Cypriot team are leading Trazbonsor(a very good Turkish side) 3-1 on aggregate . I expect Trazbonsor(sorry atrocious spelling of it) to win over the two legs but if they don't I would fancy the Cypriot team against Rangers .

Davei141 wrote:
    Actually the attendance was 43k, .

are you saying the BBC have got it wrong then? :rolleyes:

jonny68 wrote:
    are you saying the BBC have got it wrong then? :rolleyes:

Err the commentators on BBC Scotland said it.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Is it just me who thinks Thompson is useless?

*Sorry, havent had a chance to read the entire thread yet,so i dont know if its been said before!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Dub13 wrote:
    but dont right them off just yet,they could score 4 at home.

Now why did I not put my money were my mouth is... :confused: What price was 4:0 about 8/1...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Does anyone know why Celtic had no sponser (Carling) on their jersey in the 1st half and in the 2nd half all jerseys had their sponser on it ? :confused:

I got 2 texts last night from people asking the same thing but I missed the start of the game so did not hear if there was any reason for it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

ciaran76 wrote:
    Does anyone know why Celtic had no sponser (Carling) on their jersey in the 1st half and in the 2nd half all jerseys had their sponser on it ? :confused:

I got 2 texts last night from people asking the same thing but I missed the start of the game so did not hear if there was any reason for it ?

According to the Daily Record (Scottish paper), they were waiting on a delivery of new strips turning up and it didn't come in time for the kick off. They arrived before half time and they changed into them then.

Talking about kits, how much of a joke was it that the Bratislava lad had to go off for 5 minutes because his jersey was ripped :eek: Left a hole in the middle of the defence.......!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Mossy Monk wrote:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=187231&cc=5739 says the attendance was 50,063 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Big Ears wrote:
    it was a Maltese team.

No it was a Slovakian team. Artmedia Bratislava(Capital of Slovakia)

andyman wrote:
    No it was a Slovakian team. Artmedia Bratislava(Capital of Slovakia)

they're not on about Artmedia Bratislava, if you read the previous page they are referring to a post by Draupnir who made a comparison to Celtic losing to Artmedia being like Shels losing to a crap Cypriot team a few years back. He was corrected a few posts down saying it was a Maltese team not a Cypriot team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

eirebhoy wrote:
    If Kenny Cunningham was in the Celtic defence tonight we would probably not have conceded a goal. I said it about 100 times that Celtic needed an organisor and Strachan had to find out the hard way. Balde hasn't a clue where to be without being told. Camara is shíte. Never rated Varga. The midfield can't even put a string of passes together as they're afraid of losing possession. I'm not going to work tomorrow. :(

I only read reports of the 1st leg and the 2nd leg. But maybe you can enlghten me as to what exactly happened in the 1st leg. Losing such a match is always possible, but by 5-0, thats incredible. Was it the case of lack of quality on the field for Celtic and lack of respect for the opposition? and why no goals for Celtic? Players just not up to speed, lack of energy, etc?

This, as you correctly point out, is a tough lesson for Strachan, and what with the 4-4 draw against Motherwell, Gordon, whom I respect as a football analyst/expert and a potential manager is going into the deep end from the start. At least the 2nd leg showed some recovery with the 4-0 win, but that 1st leg result is still unbelievable for a club of Celtic's capacity.

Just wondering if you have some thoughts and analysis on that "very forgettable" 1st leg ....

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Have to agree; it's at centre half where the real problem is; Balde and Varga aren't up to it.

Balde and Camara were played in the second leg and Varga was dropped, read reports that the defence was more solid (didn't see the match)

McManus looked very solid at centre half last night and Camara looked like a footballer rather than a random fan who robbed a jersey, which helped.

Balde did his usual though, getting caught out of position, making stupid fouls and getting booked on the halfway line. He is a good ball winner but he has the footballing brain of a ladies synchronised diver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

MooShop wrote:
    they're not on about Artmedia Bratislava, if you read the previous page they are referring to a post by Draupnir who made a comparison to Celtic losing to Artmedia being like Shels losing to a crap Cypriot team a few years back. He was corrected a few posts down saying it was a Maltese team not a Cypriot team.

Aye, I see it now. Sorry

redspider wrote:
    I only read reports of the 1st leg and the 2nd leg. But maybe you (eirebhoy) can enlghten me as to what exactly happened in the 1st leg. Losing such a match is always possible, but by 5-0, thats incredible. Was it the case of lack of quality on the field for Celtic and lack of respect for the opposition? and why no goals for Celtic? Players just not up to speed, lack of energy, etc?

This, as you correctly point out, is a tough lesson for Strachan, and what with the 4-4 draw against Motherwell, Gordon, whom I respect as a football analyst/expert and a potential manager is going into the deep end from the start. At least the 2nd leg showed some recovery with the 4-0 win, but that 1st leg result is still unbelievable for a club of Celtic's capacity.

Just wondering if you have some thoughts and analysis on that "very forgettable" 1st leg ....

Looks like every Celtic fan is just forgetting about that 1st leg. I'm sure there are lessons to be learned from it by Strachan from a footballing point of view. I've heard in a pub that he went out for attack when 2-0 down. Is that true, and when he didnt see it working at 3-0 down, did he revert? The question still hangs, was Strachan tactically naive for this match, which was after all a two-legged affair.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He didn't really go gung ho. The players created a couple more chances in the second half than they did in the first half. McGeady missed an open goal from 2 yards out at 1-0 or 2-0. Celtic dominated for most of it. Every time Bratislava got the ball they created something with ease. I can't really remember much of the match tbh and I don't want to. :) I wasn't focussing on it too much. I was flicking between the Shels match after it went 3-0 and was just completely depressed.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    He didn't really go gung ho. The players created a couple more chances in the second half than they did in the first half. McGeady missed an open goal from 2 yards out at 1-0 or 2-0. Celtic dominated for most of it. Every time Bratislava got the ball they created something with ease. I can't really remember much of the match tbh and I don't want to. :) I wasn't focussing on it too much. I was flicking between the Shels match after it went 3-0 and was just completely depressed.

Thanks for your thoughts EireBhoy. Yeah, in some games everything a team tries doesnt come off and everything seems to go right for the opposition, although I'm not sure if this is the case in this match. The fact that the opposition were creating many chances is a sign of a weakness in the Celtic formation/tactics, which Strachan failed to solve.

I can understand not wanting to watch at 3-0 down, who does when their team is in that position, but as it happened, in football, every goal can count so 3-0 was a lot better than 5-0 and would have been the difference between getting through and not.

Tbh, I was shocked when I heard this result abroad. I thought at first that maybe they made a mistake on the wires, that Celtic won 5-0 against a team, of lets face it, nobodies.

Its water under the bridge now, but a disaster for Celtic in terms of the CL, which they cant seem to crack. Lets hope they have a good run in Uefa. At the moment, it looks as if it will be hard to win the league back from Rangers, although both teams will drop points this year, and maybe the league will be a bit closer for once - it needs it.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Thought that didnt get uefa spot place at that stage? or was that the previous round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

redspider wrote:
    Lets hope they have a good run in Uefa. At the moment, it looks as if it will be hard to win the league back from Rangers, although both teams will drop points this year, and maybe the league will be a bit closer for once - it needs it.
    No UEFA cup football for QR2 losers. :( What makes it worse is Celtic would have got into the UEFA cup if they didn't come 2nd in the league because we won the cup. Dundee Utd deserve their place though. The league won't just be close between the top 2, Hearts have signed some quality players too and are the best team in the league after 2 games.

eirebhoy wrote:
    No UEFA cup football ... The league won't just be close between the top 2, Hearts have signed some quality players too and are the best team in the league after 2 games.

I guess I should have known about Celtic not being in the Uefa. Its just soemthing that you would presume for a club of Celtic's stature.

Yes, thats what I meant by the league being closer, as in closer between the Old Firm and the rest. That makes it more interesting for all fans. Celtic/Rangers battles are good of course, but when no-one else is in sight its the same old same old.

Advertisement