Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "woo-hoo/anti-moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Indeed. You don't want to tarnish the daily mail's reputation either. What would the readership think if they found out a journalist might be writing for them? Documenting real events? Horror!

Passport wrote:
    That lienup is a state...
    Yup. Anyone up for getting tuxed up and drinking in a field? It'll be cheaper, offer the same experience and the music will probably be better and all. It's a disgrace. If I was in charge spinal tap and Ronny James Dio would play every year. There's no way I'd pay a certain significant amount of wedge to attend a certain "event". All of which shall remain unnamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Woohoo, another day to clean up the SER.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Dead Ed wrote:
    Indeed. You don't want to tarnish the daily mail's reputation either. What would the readership think if they found out a journalist might be writing for them? Documenting real events? Horror!

Lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Laika wrote:
    Just found out that through a combination of karma, prayer and intense grovelling, I don't have to do my work experience at a paper that I really didn't want to go to, and can now choose from different ones that I really do want to go to.

/cue unbelievable relief

Aw, yay! Go having principles! :D

• Advertisement

Yeah a principled journalist, that'll be employable...

Think this is a whoo-hoo: I got loads of freckles from sitting out in the sun today

I decided to watch Akira again tonight. It had been some time since I had seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Woo-hoo #1: Spent day in front of Pav, getting locked. Spent evening in Cassidys, with the Phil buying me drinks. I love Trinity Term even more when I don't have to feel guilty about the study I'm not doing.

Woo-hoo #2: Amsterdam is a magical playground filled with hooker-windows and other magical substances. I want to live there forever.

Re: Buffy, yes, it was some of the best TV ever made (and I'm not saying that 'cause she was hot, which she kinda was til she got all angular). And yet, at its worst, it was utter ****e. So seasons 1-4 ftw.

Re: That thing that we can't talk about that I'd never dream of talking about: Yes. Yes it is ****e. And yet, I'll still be going. The experience of it all is so very, very worth it. And now that I know how easy it is to sneak in a naggin in a sock, I can get two in with minimal hassle.

shay_562 wrote:
    Woo-hoo #2: Amsterdam is a magical playground filled with hooker-windows and other magical substances. I want to live there forever.
    did you not get the sense that you were going to be brutally murdered at some point? I was walking around the place thinking someone was gonna jump up and stab me in the skull. Then again I was in no state to be walking around anywhere at the time.

did you not get the sense that you were going to be brutally murdered at some point? I was walking around the place thinking someone was gonna jump up and stab me in the skull. Then again I was in no state to be walking around anywhere at the time.

Entirely the opposite, as it happens - I wish I felt as safe wandering around Dublin at night as I felt in Amsterdam. It's clean, it's brightly lit (albeit often with a vaguely red tint), there's plenty of police wandering around, the drug dealers are so openly dealing drugs that they somehow seem less menacing...though to be fair, I wasn't in the kind of mood where I'd have noticed threatening behaviour or situations. As for you, all I can suggest is that paranoia can be a terrible side-effect when it hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

shay_562 wrote:
    Re: That thing that we can't talk about that I'd never dream of talking about: Yes. Yes it is ****e. And yet, I'll still be going. The experience of it all is so very, very worth it. And now that I know how easy it is to sneak in a naggin in a sock, I can get two in with minimal hassle.

I'll feed you and get boozed you up in my house first..its not like i heard anything even mildly melodic last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

12 hours until I can (and will) start drinking again. I intend to get drunk enough to start dancing on tables, and not a hair drunker.

I'll feed you and get boozed you up in my house first..its not like i heard anything even mildly melodic last year.

And to be fair, it's not like you'd have remembered if you had. And fantastic re: the food and booze - I was concuring with the comments about the music rather than the ball in general. Which reminds me, I should really go book those tickets soon...
    I intend to get drunk enough to start dancing on tables, and not a hair drunker.

That is always the plan, and yet it so rarely succeeds. It's a very small target area, and as you approach it, your judgement becomes less and less sound. Best of luck though!

shay_562 wrote:
    That is always the plan, and yet it so rarely succeeds. It's a very small target area, and as you approach it, your judgement becomes less and less sound. Best of luck though!
    I've been told that my resistance to alcohol will have completely faded away, so I expect to be in a coma after one glass of Cava.

If any of you 2nd years are in next week we should go out for a drinkie. Its wierd going in to the Hist conversation room when none of ye are there. Myself and europerson have been missing you all greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I've been told that my resistance to alcohol will have completely faded away, so I expect to be in a coma after one glass of Cava.

If any of you 2nd years are in next week we should go out for a drinkie. Its wierd going in to the Hist conversation room when none of ye are there. Myself and europerson have been missing you all greatly.

in fairness shay and I don't actually have lives outside of college, so around the place for the next few weeks we are bound to be.

in fairness shay and I don't actually have lives outside of college, so around the place for the next few weeks we are bound to be.

Hey! That's only partially true!

Hey, I suggested a Pav excursion just two days ago and you shot me down for a lecture (I cried a little on the inside). But as Hils says, we'll undoubtedly be around - probably more so now that we don't have to sit in the library and tell ourselves we're studying.

shay_562 wrote:
    Hey, I suggested a Pav excursion just two days ago and you shot me down for a lecture (I cried a little on the inside). But as Hils says, we'll undoubtedly be around - probably more so now that we don't have to sit in the library and tell ourselves we're studying.
    I thought you were gloating. Besides, I couldn't drink. Only seven hours to go!

On the Amsterdam topic, I loved it and hated it in equal measure, but I never felt unsafe.

I don't know if this is woohoo or a moan, but I accidently locked myself out in the backgarden about three hours ago and have only just made it back inside now. The good side is that I locked myself out with an A4 pad and the notes for an essay I have been procrastinating about for three weeks, as well as a pair of shorts. So I got loads of work done and a fair bit of tanning, too. I just hope I didn't fry my brain and get sun burnt.

Lads will you stop all the chatting between yourselves please; it's headwrecking to read, and alienating for everybody else reading this thread.
    I don't know if this is woohoo or a moan, but I accidently locked myself out in the backgarden about three hours ago and have only just made it back inside now. The good side is that I locked myself out with an A4 pad and the notes for an essay I have been procrastinating about for three weeks, as well as a pair of shorts. So I got loads of work done and a fair bit of tanning, too. I just hope I didn't fry my brain and get sun burnt.

Sounds like a whoo-hoo to me - might be worth lashing on a bit of aloe vera gel though, just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Laika wrote:
    Lads will you stop all the chatting between yourselves please
    How's Laika these days?

In real woo-hoo world: Aston Villa won today; I went on a big long walk with girlfriend in the sun; the worry that my essay is due in on Tuesday and I still haven't read anything for it (nevermind get a good start on it) hasn't set in yet.

Laika wrote:
    Sounds like a whoo-hoo to me - might be worth lashing on a bit of aloe vera gel though, just in case!
    I sincerely doubt I have any. Nor would I know what to do with it.

Six hours til cava.

• Advertisement

I thought you were gloating. Besides, I couldn't drink. Only seven hours to go!

Ah, of course - I had forgotten about the "no drinking" thing. So no, it wasn't gloating, it was me being retarded. Four hours to go!
    Lads will you stop all the chatting between yourselves please; it's headwrecking to read, and alienating for everybody else reading this thread.

In short: No.

In long: Dear god no. The point of a message board is conversation and interaction; a lot of the posts on boards.ie are of a more personal nature because that's what happens on any message board when a small number of people post regularly, especially when those people also know each other and interact in real life. So if someone posts something that I can respond to on a more personal level than if they were just a random faceless avatar on the other side of the 'interwebs', then I'm going to respond to it on that deeper level. There are two perfectly capable moderators there to tell me to take it to PMs if they find it reaches unacceptable levels of insider chatting.

I will, of course, be repeating your quote back to you the next time you make any comment that isn't immediately accessible to everyone or that is aimed at an individual poster rather than the group as a whole.

shay_562 wrote:
    The point of a message board is conversation and interaction; a lot of the posts on boards.ie are of a more personal nature because that's what happens on any message board when a small number of people post regularly, especially when those people also know each other and interact in real life. So if someone posts something that I can respond to on a more personal level than if they were just a random faceless avatar on the other side of the 'interwebs', then I'm going to respond to it on that deeper level.

That's fine, but you have to understand that there's a limit to it. It's one thing to interact with someone in a community-style forum like this, where a lot of people inevitably know each other. It's another to carry on a personal conversation with another poster which completely excludes everyone else reading the thread.
    I will, of course, be repeating your quote back to you the next time you make any comment that isn't immediately accessible to everyone or that is aimed at an individual poster rather than the group as a whole.
    You'll be waiting a long time shay. It's not the kind of thing other posters would really notice, but I always make the conscious effort to never post anything that excludes other people from this forum (for example, calling people by their real names, talking about events where I might have met a boardsie in real life, saying things about other posters that would be difficult to understand unless someone knows exactly how I know the person that I'm talking about).

And before anyone goes around dragging up examples where I've actually done the things that I've just explained, I'm sure that I have broken them a couple of times in the five years that I've been a member of boards. But I can honestly say that any time that I think I've done any thing like this that I've always tried to fix it. Plus I'd never have a full-blown chat with someone in the way that you and awayindahils were.

This is something that I actually feel really strongly about, because I didn't post on the TCD board for ages when it started up cos I got the impression that everyone knew each other and I'd stick out like some kind of lost weirdo. It was probably only a few posts that gave me that impression, but nonetheless, it happened, and I'd hate to think of other people being put off from posting here because of stuff like that.

Yargh, it's 3am and boards is about to shut down so I'll post this now, irregardless of all the grammatical mistakes. Damn you alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

hey stargal how's the new job going (presuming you've started)

my laptop just broke for no reason. then i attempted to fix it. then i broke it further. now i'm able to access the files and use it. I'm not sure what I should do? Send the HDD back to get it replaced cos it's somewhat dodgy? Or go with the flow (but will have to reinstall some OS)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

King.Penguin, please keep at least quasi on topic.

Laika, Shay, you both make excellent points. I'd maintain there is a small amount of room for the uber personal touch. But it's appropriate to keep it limited. There're other people at the party too and ye're talkin on a mic.
    shay_562 wrote:
    There are two perfectly capable moderators there
    I'm not capable! At least I shouldn't be, stupid finals.

WooHoo = f(cava, no hangover)

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Laika, Shay, you both make excellent points. I'd maintain there is a small amount of room for the uber personal touch. But it's appropriate to keep it limited. There're other people at the party too and ye're talkin on a mic.
    You're so diplomatic :p
    hey stargal how's the new job going (presuming you've started)
    Thanks for asking K.P., but I don't start placement til about July, and don't know yet where I'm going. Hoping for the Sunday Tribune or Times but we'll see how it goes. How's 4th year going anyway?

WooHoo = f(cava, no hangover)

Does woohoo = f(enough cava to inspire the aforementioned table-dancing, no hangover)? 'Cause if so, very well done.
    Laika wrote:
    You're so diplomatic

Pfft. Diplomacy is overrated. Give me a good fight to the death any day. ("The chair! Get him with the chair!")
    Laika wrote:
    Personal chat with K.P.

...eh. Too easy. I'll bide my time.

Topic: French essay is finished. I'm now free (at least in my own mind) until such time as we hear back about exemptions. So at least a temporary woohoo!

shay_562 wrote:
    Does woohoo = f(enough cava to inspire the aforementioned table-dancing, no hangover)? 'Cause if so, very well done.
    Unfortunately it wasn't that sort of a night. The lads came over and we watched British gangster films until 6 in the morning. If I had been in less masculine company I probably would have broken out the Kelly Clarkson and table dancing. Dancing on tables with guys (or at least these guys) isn't my idea of a good time.

shay_562 wrote:
    moi wrote:
    Chat with K.P.
    ...eh. Too easy. I'll bide my time.

It was a joke shay.

w00t: Got loads of stuff done today that I'd been putting off, and none of them were as scary as I'd thought that they'd be. Now to tackle that politics essay...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Went to the hill of Tara today with friends, twas rather fun, I haven't been up there in almost a year.. (I live quite near to it.)

Advertisement