Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "woo-hoo/anti-moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

That's the point I'm trying to make- there shouldn't even have to be a decision in the first place. I'm astounded that the womb is now the most dangerous place one can be in the First World.

Plus-- the whole argument about 'it's my body' doesn't really apply. You're not killing a part of your body, are you? You're disposing of an unique human being while it is developing. Don't you find that a little sad? At all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

paperclip wrote:
    That's the point I'm trying to make- there shouldn't even have to be a decision in the first place. I'm astounded that the womb is now the most dangerous place one can be in the First World.

Plus-- the whole argument about 'it's my body' doesn't really apply. You're not killing a part of your body, are you? You're disposing of an unique human being while it is developing. Don't you find that a little sad? At all?

There are many Reasons for and against abortion. However if your reasons against abortion are so crap that you have to resort to the "ends justify the means" lies in order to convince someone to keep a baby, then thats just sickening. Abortions will happen, they will either happen in england or they will happen in the back streets here, it is naive of you to believe you'll every remove the 'decision'. I'm pro life, however,the reality of life has softened my stance on this significantly.

Of course they will happen. People have been aborting children since history began.
    What do you mean, my reasons against abortion are crap? I'm glad my mother didn't abort me. I think that's a good reason not to be all for abortion.Of course, it would be more convenient not to have children at certain periods of life. That's why I try and lead a celibate life. It's easier all around. I can forego a brief period of fun for the welfare of my future children.

paperclip wrote:
    Of course they will happen. People have been aborting children since history began.
    What do you mean, my reasons against abortion are crap? I'm glad my mother didn't abort me. I think that's a good reason not to be all for abortion.Of course, it would be more convenient not to have children at certain periods of life. That's why I try and lead a celibate life. It's easier all around. I can forego a brief period of fun for the welfare of my future children.

Don't take things literally, think outside the box. Did you resort to lies to convince someone not to have an abortion? If not why do you think I'm talking about you?

Are you sure these are lies? You DO run a greater risk of getting breast cancer, becoming incontinent and the possibility exists that you may have to have two abortions. Or would you rather the dangers are hushed up so that the baby can be disposed of quickly and quietly?

Also, no, I have never resorted to lies to convince someone not to have an abortion. Although I can't see why people are SO anti-children. At least have the child and offer him/her up for adoption...let's be frank, it was your choice to have sex and someone who is mature enough to have sex should be mature enough to deal with the results without ending in someone's death.

Anyway, this thread has gone too far off track. I'm sorry. It's a personal rant I have and I'll let it drop now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

paperclip wrote:
    someone's death.
    Pfft, such thinking is ridiculous from a Science student. Prove it's a person!

Ibid wrote:
    Pfft, such thinking is ridiculous from a Science student. Prove it's a person!

Human DNA?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Can we not get into an abortion debate please. It's really too emotive a subject. I know anytime I've tried it with my friends we end up in a shouting match after 10 seconds.

"It's my body!"

"Babykiller!"

etc.

Or at least not in this thread, it's supposed to be a happy place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Can we not get into an abortion debate please. It's really too emotive a subject.

Awww, but I was just about to throw in the "What about rape/incest?" question and watch things really hit the fan. Spoilsport...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I home in just over 24 hours. yay. And abortion seriously, this is the wohoo thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

On a lighter note; I just had some icecream.

Icecream ftw. Who's with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 MissyRock

I cleaned my room today. I can now see my floor and my desk!
    It only took me all summer...:D

There's no ice-cream here, it was all thrown out when the freezer broke. :(
    Ah well, time to go buy some...

Nehpets wrote:
    On a lighter note; I just had some icecream.

Icecream ftw. Who's with me?

I call murder on that!!

I have a pint of caramel cashew nut icecream in my freezer waiting for tonight, woohoo.

paperclip wrote:
    Human DNA?
    My satire puts the b in subtle ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

In less than 20 hours I'll be in Orlando, seeing my boyfriend for the first time in nearly 3 months, and getting ready for Disneyland. Life, she is good...

Edit: There may even be ice-cream! Who knows?

Ice-cream woo-hoo: Dreyer's is cheap and tasty!

I made spaghetti bolognese for dinner. Yesterday I made tortillas. Tomorrow is stir-fry day. "On my J1 to San Diego, I learned how to cook." Woo-hoo!

Woo-hoo time: One of my favourite recipes, quick and tasty:

Sweet and savory (NOTE AMERICAN SPELLING FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, ibid) meatballs:

1 egg
    season to taste with oregano, salt, pepper and anything else that takes your fancy.

Mix all above ingredients, roll into palm-sized balls and fry. Just use water to fry in, the oil is NOT necessary, fat will come out at any rate.

When browned (cut one open and check inside to make sure pinkness has been banished), remove fat (spoon into an empty can) and insert sauce.

THE SAUCE

While the meatballs are cooking, grab a packet of dried mushroom soup and mix in a bowl with half a cup each of soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup (trust me on this), one can of chopped tomatoes and some tomato paste. At this stage it should be slightly thick, about the consistency of a smoothie. If it's too liquidy, add a bit more mushroom soup. Season to taste. I make this recipe by ear by now and before too long you'll be adjusting it to your own taste.

So now you've put the sauce in with the meatballs. Leave it on medium-to-high until it bubbles. Stir while this is going on. You're done. Serve with brown rice and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Im now a practicing community occupational therapist

• Advertisement

What's your community?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I got Trinity Hall and my debs are tonight! Woohoo! Woohoo! And so on!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Congrats mate!

ApeXaviour wrote:
    What's your community?

Area 2, dublin

As in the postcode? Where I'll be living then... So, if I have a problem cos they're making me lift too many vacuum chambers, or the 16 hour day starts catching up on me, I can come to you? Or have I just completely misunderstood occupational therapy again?

I'm home from a Padres game. It was great fun. I ate a hot-dog, held in the tears of laughter during the national anthem, enjoyed the hilarity of the home team booing one of their own players whenever he was mentioned, enjoyed the hilarity of "Trevor Time" [official announcement] when the Padres' best player came on and had an all-round enjoyable time.

SeaWorld tomorrow \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

If you thought the Padre's national anthem was fun, can only hope that SeaWorld still does its "Hail to the heroes" section at the Shamu show. Who says it's cruel to ride around on a whales back waving a large US flag?

I presume you know quite a few Irish staff members working there so 'discount' food should be quite freely available, but whatever you do don't end up paying full price for anything to eat there, bring your own if you have to*.

Also, remember that SeaWorld has a no questions asked policy of replacement if a seagull happens to attack you and make you drop your food. You wouldn't think this is that common on occurrence, but trust me it is. The best one I had was an American and his friends who'd bought a tray of beer between them, about 15 minutes later they were back with the empty cups, 'apparently' out of sight of the staff, seagulls had swooped down on him and made him spill the whole tray. All replaced for free. Its funny how the violent seagulls were never spotted by staff, but seemed to attack almost everyone else there.

Ah, to be back working in SeaWorld again...

* Own food may actually be confiscated at the security check at the front gate. They say it's in case you get food poisoning from it, definitely not just so they can sell you cardboard tasting rubbish.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    As in the postcode? Where I'll be living then... So, if I have a problem cos they're making me lift too many vacuum chambers, or the 16 hour day starts catching up on me, I can come to you? Or have I just completely misunderstood occupational therapy again?

Chirst I do a 70 hour week between travel, work gym and swiming.

ApeXaviour wrote:

Dublin 14 mainly, 4, parts of Dublin 6/ 2.

I have a year long waiting list to tackle, most are elderly and involve the disabled persons grant/ mods to their homes/ assistive equipment or a bit of rehab.

Physio/ chiropractor best bet if you've a bad back and need to strengthen the muscles there. You should probably do a moving and handling course before lifting anything heavy or you'll set yourself up for back problems. The worst thing is bending with a curved back to pick something off the ground, back needs to be straight and lifting should be done primarily by the legs. Also you could probably sue your company if they don't have proper health and safety regulations.

• Advertisement

gilroyb wrote:
    If you thought the Padre's national anthem was fun, can only hope that SeaWorld still does its "Hail to the heroes" section at the Shamu show.
    It still goes on. Not only was I offered the opportunity to applaud members and veterans of the US Armed Forces (Call 1800-YOUNG-DEATH to be "Army Strong") but also applaud equivalent members of the United Kingdom and "all our other allies". Yeah, I'm going to applaud a guy stationed in Derry :rolleyes:. And three cheers for Agent Orange while we're at it.

My girlfriend still doesn't see anything particularly wrong with it. Maybe if I prefix "hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis" with "Oh my God" she might get it.

Advertisement