Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "woo-hoo/anti-moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

the trees provide punk oxygen, of course. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Woohoo: The Gardai are giving me a free bike!

I done found it in my garden last Paddy's Day, so it's mine now.

Now, if only I knew how to cycle...

b.ie polar wrote: »
    Woohoo: The Gardai are giving me a free bike!

I done found it in my garden last Paddy's Day, so it's mine now.

Now, if only I knew how to cycle...

I'll take it. Honestly, I need a bike!

Bike riding, ouch.... give me a pair of sturdy walking shoes any day (I recommend Danskos).

Woohoo for me: I found Lindt 99% chocolate in Avoca! I'm going to treat myself to the sublime darkness of the chocolate together with an espresso. :)

Once you go black, you never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

paperclip wrote: »
    Bike riding, ouch.... give me a pair of sturdy walking shoes any day (I recommend Danskos).

Woohoo for me: I found Lindt 99% chocolate in Avoca! I'm going to treat myself to the sublime darkness of the chocolate together with an espresso. :)

Once you go black, you never go back.

Have you had 99% before because there's a big difference between that and the 70%. It coats the inside of your mouth and tastes fairly gross, not my cup of tea at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

99% tastes better than 85%, which tastes like ash. as a smoker, i feel i'm perfectly experienced to make that statement.

Who's Ash?

(Disclaimer: the following Woohoo was written entirely for my own benefit such that I may look upon this post and smile in future time periods and smile)

Just had my first real night out of the year, and what a legend of an event it turned out to be. I honestly cannot remember the last time I had such unadulterated good times. I drank without doing or saying anything stupid (an extreme rarity). I danced without grossly offending anyone (not even my sister, which I think is a first). I was entirely affable and cordial the entire night. In short: German childminders = fish in a barrel.

My recent experiences have brought me to the unfortunate conclusion that Irish women are simply not for me.

In response to Myth: I feel sorry for your need of a bike, but this one is of such sorry condition I doubt you'd want it. The only thing it is good for is allowing itself to be abused by an absolute beginner such as myself. More importantly, it is not yet within my possession. The Store is only open on weekdays (apparently), and so I haven't picked it up yet. In fact, they may have even disposed of it already, which would make me frowny.

In response to Sundry: The higher the percentage, the better. I don't actually like milk chocolate, but dark chocolate is something of an arch-nemesis to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Myth wrote: »
    Who's Ash?

A boy he knows.

Boston wrote: »
    A boy he knows.

Crash was a pokemon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Thats one way of putting it.

I managed to stay in the library until closing time today! Yay! Its like my brain has finally realised I'm in final year.

Yay number two: I finally finished Crime and Punishment, which does wonders for my ego. Although I have to say, I felt Dostoevsky's commitment wane towards the end...around the time he stopped writing about crime and went on to the punishment bit. It began to drag a bit there for me.

b.ie polar wrote: »
    I managed to stay in the library until closing time today! Yay! Its like my brain has finally realised I'm in final year.

Yay number two: I finally finished Crime and Punishment, which does wonders for my ego. Although I have to say, I felt Dostoevsky's commitment wane towards the end...around the time he stopped writing about crime and went on to the punishment bit. It began to drag a bit there for me.

Good man! I love that book, it's so intense with all the suspicion...we can't go on with suspicious miiiinds....

War and Peace for you next. :)

Ireland won, Wales won and I won some money in poker.

Plus I had a great dinner yesterday evening..

I now fear that something bad is going to happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

A situation I never thought I'd see myself in. An enjoyable meal had in a Chinese restaurant, sitting opposite Joe O'Gorman and beside resident Junior Dean Emma Stokes. Oddly candid conversation, the college paid for the meal. Good wine too. Splendid overall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Wohoo, McCain's unstoppable.

Woohoo! First 2 chapters of my dissertation done!

Now I wait until my supervisor rips them to shreds and throws the confetti back at me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

SMASHING PUMPKINS on Saturday!

ZOMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Passed my driving test :)

Plus we (Roro, myself und der other two) got a nice write up in the music section of the current Trinity News (the TN2/TNT section (whatever the **** it's called)).

Plus plus we're playing a free gig in the chapel on Tuesday night. Come see us.

Woohoo! First 2 chapters of my dissertation done!

Now I wait until my supervisor rips them to shreds and throws the confetti back at me...

Noooo, that's all wrong. For maximum efficiency, he needs to do it in a way which is relevant to your field of study.
    For example, in pharmaceutical chemistry, they rip up your paper, produce a suspension out of it and then run an assay to determine the percentage purity of the sample.

The percentage purity of your paper is then checked against the BP monograph for '2 chapters of dissertation'. Out of two samples assayed, both must comply, otherwise the sample fails the test and you graduate with no degree.

......What do they do in your field?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

paperclip wrote: »
    Noooo, that's all wrong. For maximum efficiency, he needs to do it in a way which is relevant to your field of study.
    For example, in pharmaceutical chemistry, they rip up your paper, produce a suspension out of it and then run an assay to determine the percentage purity of the sample.

The percentage purity of your paper is then checked against the BP monograph for '2 chapters of dissertation'. Out of two samples assayed, both must comply, otherwise the sample fails the test and you graduate with no degree.

......What do they do in your field?
    .....far too much thought put into that :D

Not really, our lecturer gives us a variation of that as often as humanly possible. I could probably recite half of the BP in my sleep by now...

I recieved an offer to study this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I recieved an offer to study this course.

Congrats! Warwick is supposed to be a great uni, have lots of friends from working in IB who went there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Congrats zaraba, that's great :) Are you going to accept the offer?

I've a few other offers in as well though which I should be hearing from soon so I should know in the next couple of weeks where I am going to go (assuming I get the 2.1)

Also, I think they may want me to do a prep course - not too sure what thats about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

I only had to wait 4 months for my driving test! any tips for passing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Ordered a new laptop - should be arriving next wednesday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Congrats on getting onto that course in Warwick. I was studying International Political Economy there last year. I was in the politics department but the economics department is very well respected. 2 of my flatmates were on your course, it seemed amazingly difficult but a bit of hard work meant it really paid off for them.

A word on accommodation, make sure you get on campus, and if you decide not to, don't go with university managed accommodation off campus, especially not Union Court. It was very expensive and lots of hassle. Within the bubble of campus the accommodation seemed to be great. For everything the college has to offer you want to be on campus rather than relying on the bus service that ends at 11 or so.

If you're going over to visit try staying in Leamington Spa, the Travel Lodge isn't the worst of cheap hotels (used to be a good hotel, it's where Queen Victoria stayed on her visit), and the big pink bus that runs through the centre of town brings you on to campus.

Anyway, I know you didn't ask for any of that info, but if you want any other information feel free to ask. I enjoyed my 12 months there, but glad it wasn't a longer period.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that - I have heard that it is a very good course.

I have a couple of things to iron out with them first, but if it works out I can't see myself not taking it..

What is the accomodation like?

Advertisement