Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "woo-hoo/anti-moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

On campus accommodation for masters students is very good. Herronbank/Lakeside are the two where most/all masters students seemed to be. They're very new buildings, and all en suite etc. They're a short walk away from the main campus which allows them to be nice and quiet and peaceful, but the downside is that (especially during the summer when you're doing your dissertation) it can seem too quiet. They're not cheap (think it's around £100 a week), but at least on campus you seem to get close enough to what you pay for.

Many people refer to Warwick as a bubble because you're really close to Coventry, but no one wants to go to the architectural black hole that is Coventry so everything happens on campus. (It's very like DCU, but without the local charm of Ballymun). The student union has nights on every night, but they're planning a huge renovation soon so you should check to see if there will be any social facilities for the year you'll be there. The SU basically shuts down over the Summer and the buses to Leamington Spa finish early in the evening, so Summer on campus I think can be quite quiet. I know everyone always says that you should get involved on the social side of university, but it's vital in Warwick. It's a big soulless sprawling campus, but if you make friends and get involved it can be fun.

The library was great when I was there (I simply asked and they bought the Economy of Ireland book), and I think it has been done up over last Summer so should be even better.

The one thing I will say is that the general administration made me feel that Trinity was amazingly efficient. Also any time money is mentioned the uni will usually be squeezing you out of cash. Even the SU isn't really good value, the SU has a turnover of 6 or 7 million, and doesn't seem to think value services are to be encouraged.

Final final point, the quantitative courses do usually have a prep course, but it's just to ensure that you didn't buy your economics undergrad. As I said, it's a hard course so they want to be sure they're not wasting your time if you didn't have even the basic understanding of topics necessary.

On Topic (sorry about going off):em... doesn't seem to be any. Maybe I should have posted this in the moan thread.

Cheers - they seem to have some qualms about what I actually studied as they seem to think I am business student :( .. but I'll know in the next couple of days whether it had been sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

The BESS Ball last night was good fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

Agreed europerson! The BESS Ball was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

europerson wrote: »

smirk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

hurray for a mysterious (and somewhat arousing) hangover cure.

Was it this?

Its a great hangover cure.. and those people are gods among men.

Was it this?

Its a great hangover cure.. and those people are gods among men.
    It was some powder ApeX put in my drink with a picture of an intimate couple on the front of the box.

And after putting it like that I realise that it sounds like I was nearly date raped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭paperclip

b.ie polar wrote: »
    It was some powder ApeX put in my drink with a picture of an intimate couple on the front of the box.

And after putting it like that I realise that it sounds like I was nearly date raped.

......lol.

Come on, share the love. Er, not in that way.

I like my gin and tonics, but hate hangovers. :mad: I'm usually pretty good, but sometimes I (accidentally) overindulge, so something like that would be rather handy for those times where self discipline fails. Particularly the night before a 9am lecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ha, you love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I got it from the Asia Market on Drury st (by the checkout). "Alcohol Killer Hangover Tea" it was called. Though I'm not sure that mixing it into our wine was really a prescribed method of preparation.

Oh and WOOHOO for graduatingness! Robes and furry hoods and fancy meals etc. Great time :D

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    I got it from the Asia Market on Drury st (by the checkout). "Alcohol Killer Hangover Tea" it was called. Though I'm not sure that mixing it into our wine was really a prescribed method of preparation.

Oh and WOOHOO for graduatingness! Robes and furry hoods and fancy meals etc. Great time :D

Thanks muchly, will try it next time!

Congrats on the graduating shenanigans! We're all proud of you! :)
    Tell us about your day, you graduands, you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

europerson wrote:

Agreed - it was significantly less painful than I might have feared.
    paperclip wrote:
    Congrats on the graduating shenanigans! We're all proud of you!
    Tell us about your day, you graduands, you!

Again, agreed - fair play, one and all!

Woohoo: Just back in from a very enjoyable weekend of Ultimate Frisbee in Limerick; we did kinda crap, but in a very fun way. Double woohoo: Two interviews tomorrow; might have me some summer work sorted very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

ApeXaviour wrote: »

You guys only graduate now? Do you wear the white robes then?

shay_562 wrote: »
    . Double woohoo: Two interviews tomorrow; might have me some summer work sorted very soon.

Good luck with that. What kind of work?

snorlax wrote: »
    You guys only graduate now? Do you wear the white robes then?
    Nah, normal furry hood and black robe. I missed my normal grad in november, so was with all the masters students this time and a few other bachelor stragglers like myself.

Thinking of doing the oz-bus in July..looks cool!

whats an oz-bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

b.ie_polar wrote:
    whats an oz-bus?

Google is your friend. www.oz-bus.com.
    paperclip wrote:
    Good luck with that. What kind of work?

Accountancy - I are accountant cat, apparently. And two more interview offers today makes all the big 4 in one week; I figure the statistics are in my favour here!

The Schol Ball was very interesting on a number of levels. Fun was had by all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Ah, so that's what was going on last night...

europerson wrote: »
    The Schol Ball was very interesting on a number of levels. Fun was had by all.
    Well, one level really. As in who cop'd off with whom.

Unless you count my hair-do as another level.

It was a bit of a love fest alright.

Springtime I suppose

Just myself a new maplins catalogue..dying to read it! :D

Just watched Transformers again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Huzzah, I've finally started applying for masters programmes. It is not a fun process, but at least I'm half way there.

Unless you count my hair-do as another level.
    That's exactly what I was doing.

Anyway, my woohoo for the day is that I'm finally catching up on Boards, having not looked at it since 10.20 on Wednesday.

Trinity won the fencing intervarsities for the first time in ages :)!!!

Having just read snorlax's post to my flatmate, zaraba, he has beseeched me to say that the DU Rifle Club won the shooting IVs as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sanerah

I have an interview tmw... let's hope I'll b saying woo hoo tomorrow!

For once my make up turned out alright today, woo hoo!!

I think I might have something naughty for lunch today woo hoo!!

Advertisement