Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "woo-hoo/anti-moan" Thread

Options

Comments

I've always preferred RA or the original C&C tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Tiberian Sun was the best by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Oh definitely, anyone see The Matrix on TV last night? It's okay, the sequels are better by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Oh definitely, anyone see The Matrix on TV last night? It's okay, the sequels are better by far.

Yep I was just thinking the same about the Alien/s franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

1) Original RA: Aftermath add-on is the best. RA:2 is decent, but the superweapons and annoying **** like the Terror Drones can make it infuriatingly random.

2) The Matrix is awesome, the sequels are so bad that they make it retroactively hard for me to watch the first film. Revolutions has literally not one thing going for it; Reloaded at least has a few well-made action sequences.

3) Aliens all the way. OK, so Newt is annoying as hell; the supreme awesomeness of the rest of the film more than makes up for it.

And to add to the list: Terminator 2 over the first or third (and likely the 4th; Christian Bale = cool points, McG = wtf?). It was on RTE the other night and it's still as cool as ever.

• Advertisement

Revolutions is an epic stand alone action flick. Reloaded had scary anorexic sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

shay_562 wrote: »

2) The Matrix is awesome

+1

Apex needs more practice!

Boston wrote:
    Revolutions is an epic stand alone action flick. Reloaded had scary anorexic sex.

Standalone? Not so much - it relies hugely on pre-established characters and scenarios, and what little emotional resonance it has comes from that. Hell, if you didn't know just how freakin' awesome Morpheus was from the first movie, there's little organic reason to root for him in 2 & 3; if you didn't meet Trinity before "Revolutions", what the hell do you care when she gets half a spaceship through her stomach? She's had, like, 3 lines. And epic? Two cartoon characters flying through the air beating the tar out of each other doesn't do it for me. Yes, the original relied heavily on special effects, but there were enough moments with real actors to make it feel grounded, not to mention the fact that there was some sense that the punches were impacting and that the fight meant something. Two invincible blobs of CGI being smacked together in an ultimately pointless battle? Meh. But I'll give you the 'creepy sex' point - I kinda glaze over most of the movie and wake up when it's time for (a) the motorcycle chase scene or (b) the "everything comes down to these moments" bit.

The third one had big guns and robots. I don't remember trinity being in the film :). I cared not if the characters lived or died by the time the third on came around.

The second one made me wish for deaths sweet embrace. I still have nightmares about bonie sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Ok nerds, that's enough.

Stargal wrote: »
    Ok nerds, that's enough.

Ok, onto a conversation you can take part in...

I think DS9 was far superior to voyager but next generation and in particular jean luc picard kicked the crap out of the original. Lets not even talk about enterprise.

I agree with the above statement in its entirety.

DS9 was brilliant, and had much better long-term story arcs due to the nature of the fact that they couldn't just come to a planet and make up a nice story about it.
    They had Klingons, Bajorans (which were sometimes boring I'll admit), and the Dominion (one of the best bad guys ever). The only thing they were lacking was the Borg.

And Jean-Luc and TNG in general was fantastic. Fantastically dramatic and storylines that really hit home (as much as stories set in space can hit home).

They had Klingons, Bajorans (which were sometimes boring I'll admit), and the Dominion (one of the best bad guys ever). The only thing they were lacking was the Borg.

Happily, they didn't go down the route of including the Borg just 'because'. Seems to be a given that if ratings go down for a show, sure they'll just throw in the Borg. I was glad to see an alternative kickass enemy.

TNG was boring at times. Two words for you - Wesley Crusher.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

DS9 was Shaft in space, ergo it was awesome. The last 4 seasons were the best things Star Trek has ever produced (outside some of the films anyway). I loved the long story arcs and the somewhat darker edge to the whole thing. Sisko was nowhere near as annoyingly perfect as Picard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Podge_irl wrote: »
    DS9 was Shaft in space, ergo it was awesome. The last 4 seasons were the best things Star Trek has ever produced (outside some of the films anyway). I loved the long story arcs and the somewhat darker edge to the whole thing. Sisko was nowhere near as annoyingly perfect as Picard.
    Q wrote:
    You hit me... Picard never hit me!
    Sisko wrote:
    I'm not Picard.
    /kingofthenerds

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

I have a soft spot for Voyager myself. It's the one that got me into Star Trek.
    TNG was incredible though! What's all this Picard is annoying stuff? I can't think of a bad thing to say about TNG overall. Wesley was alright! *runs and hides*

Wesley was a sap. I wish he'd got done for those dodgy flying manoeuvres in the Academy, instead of blaming that guy who was played by the same actor as Paris from Voyager.

Boston wrote:
    The third one had big guns and robots. I don't remember trinity being in the film . I cared not if the characters lived or died by the time the third on came around.

Meh. I can get big guns and robots in an awful lot of places (example from a dozen posts back: the Terminator movies), and without other, less robot-filled storylines dragging them down.

Never watched Star Trek to be honest. Though I do remember an infuriatingly badly-designed ST:TNG PC game from back when I was around 10...

neglected childhood I say. And yes there are far better robot with guns movies out there. Still I enjoyed the bang bang shootie shootie. Hard to believe I'm an intellectual...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Payday Buzz

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Never really got into DS9 - was it repeated as much as the others on Sky?

Went swimming today.:)

I cycled 47.453km today.

Boston wrote:
    neglected childhood I say. And yes there are far better robot with guns movies out there. Still I enjoyed the bang bang shootie shootie. Hard to believe I'm an intellectual...

I'll say. A true intellectual would have better taste in robot shooty bang bang movies. I apprecaite Terminator 2 for the art dammit! The art...

Yay: Just had a really nice family dinner where we all met my bro's long-term girlfriend for the first time - she's bang on, and can cut him down to size faster than any of us. She's totally add-to-the-family material. Awesome!

I'll say. A true intellectual would have better taste in robot shooty bang bang movies. I apprecaite Terminator 2 for the art dammit! The art...

Anime is where the truly great robot action is, but yes terminator 2 is a pretty perfect movie.
    Yay: Just had a really nice family dinner where we all met my bro's long-term girlfriend for the first time - she's bang on, and can cut him down to size faster than any of us. She's totally add-to-the-family material. Awesome!

Woot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Cool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Campus feels truly beautiful tonight. The light is is perfect and the wind carries voices from one end of campus to the other.There is a relaxed summer atmosphere pervading the place. Every so often it feels great to remember what a lovely place it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Went into college for the first time since the beers yesterday evening. And had a ball.

Was talking to some of the new sabbats for ages and then when I was leaving ran into an old friend.

This old friend and I ended up drinking gin and dancing to abba whilst pretending to be ghost busters out on the balcony of his apartment.

A kick ass day in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Taking Friday off work was one of the best ideas I have ever had. Had a mad rockin weekend in Clare. And I am now in such good form I don't even mind that I have to go back to work tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Got a spray tan done a couple of days ago and dear god, I'm in love with it. I actually look healthy, it's awesome. It's going to be hard going back to my usual vampiric, hidden-in-the-attic-for-twenty-years, may-attempt-to-suck-your-blood-when-you're-not-looking pallor.

And in other good news, have had loads of Great Nights Out (TM) lately. Friday especially. Ran into loads of (non-TCD) boardsies which was nice.

Advertisement