Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "woo-hoo/anti-moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Played frisbee for the first time in about 3 months over the weekend, hadn't realised how much I'd missed it - amazing how much a good run can pick you up and make you feel sane again.

Plus, only 15 working days left until I'm done. If I ever do something as stupid as attempting to become an accountant again, every single one of you has my full permission to slap me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

An accountant? What on earth made you think that was a good idea?

shay_562 wrote: »
    Plus, only 15 working days left until I'm done. If I ever do something as stupid as attempting to become an accountant again, every single one of you has my full permission to slap me.

I will break both your legs if you sign on to that firm. And maybe your arms as well!

That bad eh?

An accountant? What on earth made you think that was a good idea?

Money? A solid job? Relatively easy work? Money? (seriously, the pay is decent and rises pretty steadily as you pass more exams) Also, my brother, two of my cousins and two of my uncles stuck it out, so I figured it couldn't be that awful. On which:
    I will break both your legs if you sign on to that firm. And maybe your arms as well!

That bad eh?

Oh, and then some. As I go on, I realise it's less the mind-numbing boredom (though trust me, that plays a part) and more the feeling of being a completely useless part of an operation that isn't particularly useful to begin with. I don't need whatever job I eventually get to be chock-full of wonder and meaning and heartfelt fulfillment, but it'd be nice if at the very least it felt like accomplishing something.

Good threats though, a perfect motivator to spend 4th year looking for another career path. Graduate recruitment fairs here I come!

The safe path leads to stagnation.

• Advertisement

How sagely of you. I feel like I should be balancing on one foot on an upside-down dustbin. Wax on...wax off...

ah yes, but it is true though. You're far too young to be thinking about a solid job that doesn't challenge for the shake of money you never had so you won't miss.

Oh, and then some. As I go on, I realise it's less the mind-numbing boredom (though trust me, that plays a part) and more the feeling of being a completely useless part of an operation that isn't particularly useful to begin with. I don't need whatever job I eventually get to be chock-full of wonder and meaning and heartfelt fulfillment, but it'd be nice if at the very least it felt like accomplishing something.

Which dept. are you in? You know the trick with the dual monitors right? Have excel open on the large screen and have boards in a corner of your laptop's screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Which dept. are you in? You know the trick with the dual monitors right? Have excel open on the large screen and have boards in a corner of your laptop's screen.

that's so much more effort than I put into my time wasting. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

My stepmother suggested I become an accountant on the weekend. She hasn't been seen or heard from since.

• Advertisement

that's so much more effort than I put into my time wasting. :rolleyes:

Meh

2 Screens > 1 Screen

Meh

2 Screens > 1 Screen

Yeah I remember. Them were the good days. One screen for my email and the other for planning my interrailing. (There was that little to do) But they're stopped giving summer flunkies two screens- there's a recession don't you know.
    My stepmother suggested I become an accountant on the weekend. She hasn't been seen or heard from since

Each of my uncles have pointed out the benefits of accountancy in the last few weeks. It does get very annoying.

Boston wrote:
    You're far too young to be thinking about a solid job that doesn't challenge for the shake of money you never had so you won't miss.

See, there's the part of me that agrees with you, and then the part that says "ZOMG, shiny things for no effort!!!" I think this career path is still a fallback if, in a few years' time I still have no plan and no direction. If nothing else, it will motivate me to find a plan/direction.

No such luck - I'm on audit at the moment in Eircom (whose in-office broadband *sucks*, by the way) so I have but one screen with which to entertain myself. Hence, I'm Alt+Tabbing like a good thing and trying to look vaguely awake.
    2 Screens > 1 Screen

And that's Science!

My stepmother suggested I become an accountant on the weekend. She hasn't been seen or heard from since.

FYI, if she ever suggests that you take a walk in the forest with an axe-wielding woodsman, it's probably a trap. You should also be wary of housework and apples.

FYI, if she ever suggests that you take a walk in the forest with an axe-wielding woodsman, it's probably a trap. You should also be wary of housework and apples.

lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 MissyRock

I gots me a shiny new, ultra cool laptop for college :D
    No more queuing for a broken computer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ryaner012

i've no money and no job but noe of that matters cause i'm going to electric picnic and then i'm going back to college to do a masters

college is fantastic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Holy sunshine Batman!

My manager essentially gave me Friday off. Tomorrow is a training day. Which means I'm more-or-less fnished my intership. Which is F**KING AWESOME!!!! Oh, sweet Jesus, that was hell. But I'm free! FREE! *ahem* Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I'm still on a major buzz from the Alanis concert on tuesday. I feel like a lil teenager again, only this time without the bad skin and trendy eating disorders.

My manager essentially gave me Friday off. Tomorrow is a training day. Which means I'm more-or-less fnished my intership. Which is F**KING AWESOME!!!! Oh, sweet Jesus, that was hell. But I'm free! FREE! *ahem* Carry on.

Remember - you sign on with them and I will break your arms and legs!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Why are they training you when you're finishing?

Nice!!

Please don't forgot about me. I'm going to be in an office well into September.:( (Which I know is not too bad as I do get to go back to college)

But yay, you're going to be sane again!!

PwC do that - its a debrief and they go over things to remember when you start back with them.

Remember - you sign on with them and I will break your arms and legs!! ;)

Forgot to +1 this earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Woohoo, I found a place to live!

Party in Clonskeagh!

Congrats! When is the house warming?

PwC do that - its a debrief and they go over things to remember when you start back with them.

Exactly - it's a sort of re-programming thing where they try to get you to look back with rose-tinted glasses at the last 10 weeks, then ply you with booze so that your last memory of PwC is of fun and good times. Which leads to today's woohoo: Got into work at 12.45 still a little drunk, essentially with a carte blanche from my manager. Result!
    Please don't forgot about me. I'm going to be in an office well into September.

Don't worry, I'll still be there for lunch and mocking. :)

Antithetic wrote: »
    Woohoo, I found a place to live!

Party in Clonskeagh!

CongratS!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 monkey27

woo hoo thread i just found this ha it's great ... would cheer anyone up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

Woo hoo i got accepted into the trinity foundation year! Yay :)

Advertisement