Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "woo-hoo/anti-moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Baza210 wrote: »
    On my Eee using my 3G modem on the DART. Getting very acceptable speeds on it even when moving, on the Conolly > Bray route.

What contract are you on out of interest?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

On my Eee using my 3G modem on the DART. Getting very acceptable speeds on it even when moving, on the Conolly > Bray route.

337675815.png

Train was stopped at Booterstown at time of testing.
    It is great when using a dedicated modem, not so great however on a HSDPA phone.

HSDPA eats and I mean eats battery on my E51.

I use EDGE for the better battery life (same as GPRS, essentially the same technology but EDGE uses PSK) and the greater coverage (900MHz/1800MHz).

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭duffman90210

Christ, that's fast, although I got 877kb/ps at home on my wireless perlico broadband, it seems a grand speed for me. And I download about 2 albums a day, would take about 10 minutes each, so i'm happy with that, for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

I love College

[IMG][/img]337816715.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I love College

337816715.png
    It can go much faster. The ethernet cable is the limiting factor ;)

TCD has twin Gigabit connections to HEAnet. here and here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Boston wrote: »
    What contract are you on out of interest?

It's an O2 promotion with HEAnet. €13 a month for a 10GB bandwidth, and a €20 once off for the device itself. It's fairly small and the USB cable is short so it doesn't get in the way when using it on the go. You have to register through your 3rd level institute to avail of the offer, although it's only €20 anyway normally. The details are on o2.ie/heanet

judo ftw

Your face clear up?

And inexplicably being stuck on 800x600 on a 1024x600 screen ftl.

Your face clear up?

No drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

LG12? If so, use a Debian box, their resolution is fine

• Advertisement

Recently acquired access to LG12 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Bagel and blackberry jam. One of the finer things in life.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    No drivers?

I dunno, I ran apt-get upgrade on my Eee and it just.. broke..
    Doesn't recognise the screen res, nor does it detect the trackpad..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Children of Men

Again.

I dunno, I ran apt-get upgrade on my Eee and it just.. broke..
    Doesn't recognise the screen res, nor does it detect the trackpad..
    Couldn't help but lol :)

Your face clear up?

Have the propreitary drivers turned themselves off?

They have done it for me the odd time and the screen goes mad. I had to reanable them and reconfig Xorg multiple times to fix it. Its happened twice now for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Just found out that I actually CAN do Irish classes in TCD. Hurray!

Your face clear up?

Yep, all is good. In fact, due to the powerful antibiotics they have me on, I haven't felt better is months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Graduation time/date is now confirmed!

Have the propreitary drivers turned themselves off?

They have done it for me the odd time and the screen goes mad. I had to reanable them and reconfig Xorg multiple times to fix it. Its happened twice now for no reason.

I don't know how to verify that, and even if I did I probably would need the mouse to change the settings anyway..

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg doesn't do anything towards fixing it either. I've tried replacing my xorg.conf with older, backed up versions of it, but it doesn't work because the input and output devices are just specified as "Configured x", ie "Configured monitor". But the monitor isn't configured, and since it's a weird res/dimension there's no option for it in the Configure section I get in the Low Graphics Mode popup..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

I don't know how to verify that, and even if I did I probably would need the mouse to change the settings anyway..

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg doesn't do anything towards fixing it either. I've tried replacing my xorg.conf with older, backed up versions of it, but it doesn't work because the input and output devices are just specified as "Configured x", ie "Configured monitor". But the monitor isn't configured, and since it's a weird res/dimension there's no option for it in the Configure section I get in the Low Graphics Mode popup..
    woo-hoo I've got tea :)

In ubuntu you just click on restricted drivers!

Sounds though like these have been disabled as VESA standard really makes hash of the display. Have you tried apt-get install 'drivernamepackage', you will have to look up the name of package but thats not tricky.

Just to clarify here - I'm an economics students and can't even get my alarm to work so don't take my advice as gospel.

Bumped into PurpleFistMixer and orestes today. It's like I'm part of a community.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm, I forgot the strict "solemn look, eyes down" rule.

DIDN'T miss my bus today. Okay. Missed one of them. But 1/2 is an improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

YAY they didn't introduce tutition fees. Safe for another year, at least. :D

Hils spotted walking dazedly out of the computer lab on the Arts Block ground floor..

Hah, so much stalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Hils spotted walking dazedly out of the computer lab on the Arts Block ground floor..

I'd be creeped out but it is boards.

Out of interest are you sure it was me? I was in my room or in the GMB from about 5 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Were you looking for this?

• Advertisement

Woooo.. Elected :)

Advertisement