Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "woo-hoo/anti-moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Pet wrote: »
    Have recently discovered that g'em stalks my posts on here.

Hi, g'em! :pac:
    LOL Howrya :D Who snitched??

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

The ceiling of the Freeman Library looks like the underside of a giant Lego piece, leading me to believe the Museum Building is not quite as old as they'd have you believe. That or they did some post 1958 renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Miranda's iTunes Library. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

72GB! That's impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Ah I remember that one. Oh the heady days of Itunes sharing.

I remember back when ITunes 4 (maybe 5) was around you could use mytunes to actually download straight off other peoples itunes.

• Advertisement

Ah I remember that one. Oh the heady days of Itunes sharing.

I remember back when ITunes 4 (maybe 5) was around you could use mytunes to actually download straight off other peoples itunes.
    Ah yes, the salad days when I lived in Halls. My library pretty much doubled in size that year, between Mytunes and the sadly-missed DC++ hub...

Yeah, I benefited indirectly from that. Class.

g'em wrote: »
    LOL Howrya :D Who snitched??
    A certain classmate...

As revenge, I'm going to rob all your protein shakes from the fridge in the common room and use them in my coffee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not a cloud in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

MC3s for phone. E7 mainly for AD700s until CK10/ER4P then use with iPod, get uDAC, wish for K701s.
    ZuneHD, CK10s, maybe T3D, HD 25s, maybe something open (Grados/ AD700), D4

What is this gibberish?

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    What is this gibberish?

Strange stuff alright :D;)

I keep thinking "Poor Jonathan"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tarka

Won a 20e HMV voucher in a Super Smash Brothers tournament in Sc-Fi today, huzzah

Sea salt & black pepper cashew nuts from Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Tarka

Won a ticket to the freebie Rage Against The Machine show in London :)
    And found a fiver in a pair of jeans after it went through the wash. Guess I'll put it towards flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Tarka wrote: »
    Won a ticket to the freebie Rage Against The Machine show in London :)
    And found a fiver in a pair of jeans after it went through the wash. Guess I'll put it towards flights.

haha good stuff!

A woman who read one of my essays on introversion said that when she explained her introversion to her family, her brother said, "We didn't know you were an introvert. We thought you were just a bitch."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Got my Hall Ball ticket tonight. Waheyyyyyyy

I found the Boardsie signin sheet in the Hamilton bathrooms.

Well impressed by the showing from the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I found the Boardsie signin sheet in the Hamilton bathrooms.

Well impressed by the showing from the lads.

Was going to mention it too you a few weeks back then I realised how strange that might come across and decided against it.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Craguls wrote: »
    Was going to mention it too you a few weeks back then I realised how strange that might come across and decided against it.....

Which cubicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

There's none in the female bathrooms. I'd try to change it but.. erm.. there's feck all boardsie women types in the Hamilton on a regular basis. >.<

Aoibheann wrote: »
    There's none in the female bathrooms. I'd try to change it but.. erm.. there's feck all boardsie women types in the Hamilton on a regular basis. >.<

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Jonathan wrote: »
    Which cubicle?

One closest to the wheelchair accessible cubicle.

devinejay wrote: »
    FYP

I was actually going to say that.. But there's quite a few of them lurking around, just not in the Maths/Engineering side of things.. :P There was 8 girls in my class, we're down to 6 currently (still in first year) and more than likely will be down to 4 by the end of the year. Worrying!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I was actually going to say that.. But there's quite a few of them lurking around, just not in the Maths/Engineering side of things.. :P There was 8 girls in my class, we're down to 6 currently (still in first year) and more than likely will be down to 4 by the end of the year. Worrying!

You're in TP right? We went from 6 to 3 girls at the end of first year, though it stayed at that for the next three years.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You're in TP right? We went from 6 to 3 girls at the end of first year, though it stayed at that for the next three years.

I am indeed, though I was recently considering a switch to pure maths, I did a complete 360 on that in the past week. Sticking with TP! :) There seems to be 2 (myself and a friend), maybe 3 of us female types that actually want to be there at this point. If they don't like it they're better off leaving now than when it's too late and too expensive to start something new!

I agree though, I think whatever females we're left with by the end of this year will stick it out.. once we all pass that is!

(Mini-rant while I'm on the topic: Wrong thread for this post, but it really annoys me when I see how some people just don't even bother to like the course. It's all well and good going to lectures/labs etc and coming to the conclusion that you don't like your course - but how can you know when you don't even go to your lectures? At least put some effort in beforehand. TP isn't easy, but we all knew that before starting. Giving up before you even start is ridiculous.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I am indeed, though I was recently considering a switch to pure maths, I did a complete 360 on that in the past week. Sticking with TP! :) There seems to be 2 (myself and a friend), maybe 3 of us female types that actually want to be there at this point. If they don't like it they're better off leaving now than when it's too late and too expensive to start something new!

I'd give some serious consideration to changing to maths if I was you. You can be a better theoretical physicist by changing to pure maths. You miss out on courses like Group Reps and some decent geometry courses, which are kind of vital, by sticking in TP (though you get the joy of labs and nanoscience). I stuck in TP though I'm not entirely happy with the decision. It kind of depends on what you want to go into afterwards.

We had people change to maths (and one to physics, weirdo) after first year, but if you get through first year than you're pretty likely to stick out the course or something similar. But yeah, you have to really want to be there, cause it doesn't get any easier! As regards your mini-rant, it reminds me of the top student in the LC about 8 years ago. She went to Trinity to do TP and then left cause it was "too mathsy". I don't know what the **** she was actually expecting, the bloody idiot.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd give some serious consideration to changing to maths if I was you. You can be a better theoretical physicist by changing to pure maths. You miss out on courses like Group Reps and some decent geometry courses, which are kind of vital, by sticking in TP (though you get the joy of labs and nanoscience). I stuck in TP though I'm not entirely happy with the decision. It kind of depends on what you want to go into afterwards.

Therein lying my problem - there's too many areas I'd be interested in going into! >.< Anything from "generic" TP type stuff to math. neuro to cryptography (I'm aware for that final one I'd be better off switching to maths and taking computing, but anyway!) with so many other things in between that I can't even think of where to start. At least I have so many options open to me though, and all ones I'm interested in.

Thing is, there seems to be some really interesting physics courses within TP, like Chaos, anything from a Modern/Particle physics point of view.. I also love our small group tutorials. I'd never really consider transferring into physics, but I do find myself enjoying parts of it (nothing that I'm currently covering as first year physics seems to be obscenely easy at times, but it looks like it improves!).

I'll probably just have a long think over the summer. I can transfer into Maths at any point if I decide to anyway, though I'm aware I'd significantly reduce my options by leaving it later rather than sooner. Appreciate the advice though, definitely something to consider coming from someone who knows the course like yourself! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

I am indeed, though I was recently considering a switch to pure maths, I did a complete 360 on that in the past week.

A true mathematician would have used radians; also you need to rethink that number; also what Podge said (I'd also like to reference SU(2) being the double cover of SO(3) and tying that it in with needing to do two full revolutions to give the identity, but TPs don't do group representations, though they do do bad maths jokes).

Advertisement