Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "woo-hoo/anti-moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Thinking about one involving mohammed pictures, unsure as to the extent of possible murderedness that might ensue. It looks real good in two colour mode too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

YeAOW! So glad I didn't post last night. Was in some state. Have this vague memory of repeatedly kicking an unconscious dead_ed in the head. And sweet I have very little hangover. But I did send a vicious amount of drunken texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Have this vague memory of repeatedly kicking an unconscious dead_ed in the head.
    That and the bus shelter incident. Tut-tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

The Demons are responsible for this. ****in cats, I'll grow some nails and scratch the bastards back. Useless bastards, you don't see a cat leading the blind, rooting out pheasants for shootin', finding drugs on people or anything useful. Smug bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Bastards, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

woohoo stole an orange hat!!!!

well stole/borrowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

...hops off the outlaw train, Hils, before you land us all in the slammer.

(Who, precisely, did you steal this hat from?)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

europerson wrote:
    I'm diabetic, and we have Easter eggs galore in our house! I eat a little bit of them. Small amounts with a meal is no harm.

There are, in fact, three (insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus). I'm the first type, so I have to inject myself with insulin.

Just while we're on the subject, the University Record before last had really misleading information on diabetes, but I forgot to write in and complain. Maybe I ought to do that now.

Don't forget Steroid Induced Diabetes.
    I have never heard of Diabetes Insipidus.

As a matter of interest, which insulins are you using? Assumedly something like Lantus or Levemir, with Novorapid during the day at mealtimes???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

shay_562 wrote:
    ...hops off the outlaw train, Hils, before you land us all in the slammer.

(Who, precisely, did you steal this hat from?)

Ronny_Mitchell so i sorted asked to borrow/just iddn't give it back as opposed to stole. stole just sounds better.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

did you not go to twenty one with him....

he was looking for a Possie....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

I'm pretty sure borrowing without giving back counts as stealing. In fact, it's doubly sneaky, given that he probably assumed he'd get the hat back when you borrowed it. The fool...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I'm doing TNT at the moment. Wrecked but happy. It's turning out okay but a bit ridiculous. Writing headlines and bylines is killing my ability to think in sentences with more than ten words. Except for that one.

Right. Have to stop reading the Personal Issues board and laughing. Back to work.

Oh my God, Toto's 'Africa' just came on the radio! Wow...

Don't forget Steroid Induced Diabetes.
    Isn't that just diabetes mellitus, which usually affects renal transplant recipients and people with neurologic disorders, who need to take steroids?
    I have never heard of Diabetes Insipidus.
    DI is caused by a deficiency of arginine vasopressin (antidiuretic hormone [ADH]). As a result, the kidneys can't control the concentration of urine, resulting in large quantities of very dilute urine.

There are four main types:
    • Central diabetes insipidus is due to damage to the hypothalamus or pituitary due to a tumour, stroke, surgery, etc.
    • Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI) is due to the inability of the kidney to respond normally to ADH. This can be hereditary (c.90% due to mutations of the ADH V2 receptor, c.10% mutations of the aquaporin 2 water channel), but more common are acquired forms of NDI, which occur as a side-effect to some medications (notably lithium citrate), as well as in electrolyte problems such as hypokalaemia and hypercalcaemia, and in polycystic kidney disease and sickle-cell disease
    • Gestational DI only occurs during pregnancy. I'm not really sure how it happens.
    • Dipsogenic DI is due to a defect or damage to the thirst mechanism of the hypothalamus. This defect results in abnormal increases in thirst and, therefore, fluid intake, which suppresses ADH secretion and increases urine production.
    As a matter of interest, which insulins are you using? Assumedly something like Lantus or Levemir, with Novorapid during the day at mealtimes???
    I use a Novo Nordisk Mixtard 30, which is a 30% soluble fast-acting, 70% isophane long-acting compound insulin suspension, in conjunction with an Innovo dosing device. I inject twice daily (before breakfast and before dinner). Mixtard 30 is artificial human insulin produced using recombinant DNA biotechnology.

On a related note, I had to get a new Innovo last week. I was told it would be the last I'd be getting, because they're being discontinued due to the batteries not lasting long enough. I guess I'll be going back to the NovoPen 3, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

The sun! Is shining!

Outside looks pretty as i sit at my desk.

This is a woo hoo because i cut the grass last week, the lawn got some rain yesterday and now is looking most spiffing. The joy i can derive from a lawn sometimes worries me....next project will be a targeted removal of the dandelions that have appeared over the past week.

europerson wrote:
    I use a Novo Nordisk Mixtard 30, which is a 30% soluble fast-acting, 70% isophane long-acting compound insulin suspension, in conjunction with an Innovo dosing device. I inject twice daily (before breakfast and before dinner). Mixtard 30 is artificial human insulin produced using recombinant DNA biotechnology.

On a related note, I had to get a new Innovo last week. I was told it would be the last I'd be getting, because they're being discontinued due to the batteries not lasting long enough. I guess I'll be going back to the NovoPen 3, so.

Thanks for the in depth DI info. Diabetes care is something I am really interested in.

In relation to steroid induced diabetes, i am not fully sure of what causes it. I'll have to research it. I come across so many medical conditions on placement, and i try to look them up one by one and figure out what their about and how they affect the care i need to give.

The Novo Nordisk NovoPen 4 is nice. The Flexpens are really handy as well.
    Why would you want an Innovo device, they are big and clunky and look more conspicious. I wouldn't be too worried about losing it. The flexpen is very similar in operation to the innovo, in terms of the needles.

You'll probably be moved to the NovoMix 30 Flexpen. Its probably practically the same as your current insulin, 30% Insulin Aspart and 70% protaminated insulin aspart.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

cuckoo wrote:
    The sun! Is shining!

Outside looks pretty as i sit at my desk.

This is a woo hoo because i cut the grass last week, the lawn got some rain yesterday and now is looking most spiffing.

i'm pretty sure you cant smoke that type of grass...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of spliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Pet wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you're thinking of spliff.

Pet pwns Smithy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Me on Tuesday evening:
    dscf00249gq7lz.jpg

Me on Tuesday evening + about an hour:
    dscf00360yi0mi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I don't know if topless pictures of John2, handsome that he is, qualify as a 'woo hoo'. I'll reserve judgement until after i've done a compare and contrast with the skipping boxers on Tuesday. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

John2 wrote:
    Me on Tuesday evening:
    dscf00249gq7lz.jpg

dscf00360yi0mi.jpg

Aww....

Bet the people who see you everyday didnt recognise you.

I love that shit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Thanks for the in depth DI info. Diabetes care is something I am really interested in.

In relation to steroid induced diabetes, i am not fully sure of what causes it. I'll have to research it. I come across so many medical conditions on placement, and i try to look them up one by one and figure out what their about and how they affect the care i need to give.

The Novo Nordisk NovoPen 4 is nice. The Flexpens are really handy as well.
    Why would you want an Innovo device, they are big and clunky and look more conspicious. I wouldn't be too worried about losing it. The flexpen is very similar in operation to the innovo, in terms of the needles.

You'll probably be moved to the NovoMix 30 Flexpen. Its probably practically the same as your current insulin, 30% Insulin Aspart and 70% protaminated insulin aspart.
    Steroid induced diabetes is the "unmasking" of type II diabetes when someone who was previously latent, cannot upregulate their insulin then steroids induce high glucose levels. Its a hospital problem as only there are high doses of steroids used, steroids are commonly whacked out and so it comes up.

If someone has established diabetes (type I or II) then their blood sugar goes out of whack on steroids, type I particuarily are sensitive as they have zero endogenous insulin control and require frequent blood sugar monitoring a good sliding scale of insulin.

Europerson - since you don't use a short acting insulin as a routine - blood sugars ok? Hypos?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

John2 wrote:
    Me on Tuesday evening:
    dscf00249gq7lz.jpg

dscf00360yi0mi.jpg
    jaysus - you look normal(ish)!

The Novo Nordisk NovoPen 4 is nice.
    I haven't seen these in real life yet.
    The Flexpens are really handy as well.
    Yeah, I''ll probably be migrating to them.
    Why would you want an Innovo device, they are big and clunky and look more conspicious. I wouldn't be too worried about losing it.
    I've just become attached to them!
    DrIndy wrote:
    Europerson - since you don't use a short acting insulin as a routine - blood sugars ok? Hypos?
    Yes, my HbA1c (sorry: no subscripts) was 5.4% at my last blood test, which isn't too bad at all. I've had two hypos since I was diagnosed (over seven years ago). One was self-inflicted (I didn't eat something, and went to do a load of hard physical work), while the other remains a mystery to me.

DrIndy wrote:
    Steroid induced diabetes is the "unmasking" of type II diabetes when someone who was previously latent, cannot upregulate their insulin then steroids induce high glucose levels. Its a hospital problem as only there are high doses of steroids used, steroids are commonly whacked out and so it comes up.

If someone has established diabetes (type I or II) then their blood sugar goes out of whack on steroids, type I particuarily are sensitive as they have zero endogenous insulin control and require frequent blood sugar monitoring a good sliding scale of insulin.

thanks Indy, saves me reading. I've got so much writing to do.
    europerson wrote:
    Yes, my HbA1c (sorry: no subscripts) was 5.4% at my last blood test, which isn't too bad at all. I've had two hypos since I was diagnosed (over seven years ago). One was self-inflicted (I didn't eat something, and went to do a load of hard physical work), while the other remains a mystery to me.
    Life is better under 7 :)

Life is better under 7 :)
    It sure is. Mainly due to not having narky locum doctors saying: "You're 7.1: we'll have to bring you in." That was in the early days, but I protested and was saved admission.

or the unfortunate neccessity of having your peripheries amputated in the distant/moderately far away future. or going blind.

I'm sorry. this isn't a woo-hoo/anti-moan discussion at all.

Insulin pumps are the future. Or better yet, have you heard about Pulmonary Insulin delivery, sounds good. Its an insulin inhaler, no more needles.

Woohoo, I just handed in my proposal for my final year project. Plus ISS were just checking out House 6 to see where would be a nice place to install the wireless hub which I've been asking about all year, woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

it'll be in just in time for your departure....

• Advertisement

Myth wrote:
    Woohoo, I just handed in my proposal for my final year project. Plus ISS were just checking out House 6 to see where would be a nice place to install the wireless hub which I've been asking about all year, woohoo!

Ross will be so happy.

Advertisement