Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "woo-hoo/anti-moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bartron Prime

You should see the photos I have of Enda Kenny TD and I from the Schools' Final in April. He, at the risk of libel, looks like he's taking an unnatural interest in the 16 year old girl speaking and I regularly look like I'm retarded, a pirate or a retarded pirate. However, I still look better than a certain Louth man.

As for a 'Woo-Hoo', my last ever Freshers' Week was great fun, I regained contact with a friend I thought I may have pushed away a bit, someone I know said some very nice things about me (making my day) and I live on Campus! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Don't remember wearing a green hoodie. Can you remember which day? I have been helping out somewhat, but only because my own stand was right beside Physoc's for Wednesday and Thursday.
    No Idea. Think it might have been tuesday but I was walkin around in a fuzzy hungover state all week so all the days melted into one, along with my bank balance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

College looks beautiful this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'd never quite realised how enjoyable Michael Mac an Airchinnigh can be as a lecturer - 5 minutes in, and its all crazy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bartron Prime

Woo-Hoo Part Un: I am no longer as covered in The Disease as I was. Sweet.

Woo-Hoo Part Deux: After almost sixty applications, I have been offered a part-time job! Mr. Li Ka Shing, I could hug you. :D

Therefore, I wish to nominate today as a "Good Day" in my world. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Whoooo got contracts to sign from IRCSET :D

Bastard. I have to make do with SFI. Didn't bother applying to ircset. Still jealous though!

lol, its odd they sent me a rejection letter with my contract(well seperate envlopes but same day..)

[i got enterprise partnership , main ircset my rating was crap... got like 15/30 for my academic record...]

ircset's nice i guess, but sure the SFI gets the job done, you probally get paid more n all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Whoooo got contracts to sign from IRCSET :D

Nice one. Drinks on you this weekend?

John wrote:
    Nice one. Drinks on you this weekend?
    lol, you do know how much ircset people get paid aye? ;)
    though everyday is a drinking day imo. Need boards beers for the bum postgrads :)

• Advertisement

yeah I do actually, it wasn't enough to do my research :(

huh? the ammount they pay to the college wasn't high enough for your bench space was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

lol, you do know how much ircset people get paid aye? ;)
    though everyday is a drinking day imo. Need boards beers for the bum postgrads :)

Apparently 12 grand plus fee's. As someone who is well used to surviving college on under 50 euro a week, I'm quiet looking forward to it.

ircset is 16k+ fees, well so my contract here says anyway

Deadly. Is that standard, just I was talking to someone in the CS department and the 12k figure was mentioned.

thats for one of the trinity supplied grants i'm pretty sure, heard that figure before but not with ircset....

O and woot, HOMER(dan castellaneta) was in veronica mars. Who's a happy homer?

thats for one of the trinity supplied grants i'm pretty sure, heard that figure before but not with ircset....

O and woot, HOMER(dan castellaneta) was in veronica mars. Who's a happy homer?

Really? I just finished the episode, which character.

he's the professor of that phsycology class one logan and wallace were taking

huh? the ammount they pay to the college wasn't high enough for your bench space was it?

No, that's the reason I couldn't do my PhD at TCD. An IRCSET grant would be too little to cover the experiments. Biology is an expensive business. Luckily the SFI are very generous people and as well as funding the project I'm also getting a substantial grant to live on ;)

lol, its odd they sent me a rejection letter with my contract(well seperate envlopes but same day..)

[i got enterprise partnership , main ircset my rating was crap... got like 15/30 for my academic record...]

ircset's nice i guess, but sure the SFI gets the job done, you probally get paid more n all :)
    18k before fees, ~13k after. it'll keep me in beer but not slaves, although the grant for the actual project is the naughty side of six figures. The lads I know on the ircset are makin 16k after fees and get 4k in travel expenses and possibly a laptop thrown into that too, hence the jealousy!

• Advertisement

yeah i'm that boat too , woot :D

and john i probally used the wrong word by bench space i ment paying for the experiments...

13k while not wonderfull is higher than a good few other people i've talked to. either way i don't think any of us will be buying houses on this income ;)

ah 13 is grand, should keep me off the gruel anyways!

you teaching any tutorials or supervising labs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

[Woo-hoo]
    Having Prof. Antoin Murphy as a lecturer. The man's a walking, talking encyclopedia. His knowledge is astounding and inspiring. Lovely man too.
    [/Woo-hoo]

you teaching any tutorials or supervising labs?
    Not that I know of. Might grind some leaving cert students though. That should keep me in beer and hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Dead Ed wrote:
    Not that I know of. Might grind some leaving cert students though. That should keep me in beer and hookers.
    Don't you have to go out to schools and give talks about the "wonders of science blah blah blah" etc. as part of your sfi funding?

Nope, that was for the other project. Mr. O' D will probably have to do that though, which should be amusing. Spike his drink with buckfast and let the leash off! I'll be just trying to find out what in the name of the hairy prophet john the ****ing baptist's mother's great aunt's pet camel's hump is going on!

are you restricted on what part-time work you can do? i've a limit per year, and all part-time work has to be signed off by supervisor and all sorts of random crap...

I have no idea whatsoever. Supervisor's away and I was too busy sortin out all the other stuff to even think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Lab supervision isn't all that bad. One of ours last year used to go out and smoke a joint halfway through the lab every Thursday. Bastard only ever gave C's for reports, though.

Advertisement