Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goatstown/Dundrum. BB Test Failed. Am I alone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Dinarius wrote:
    Can I ask to have the number changed? Could they, for example, give me a 298XXXX number and then get me broadband?

Err. No, the dsl line test is based on the copper quality from the exchange to your house. So unless you can convince eircom to upgrade your current copper or get smart and their adsl2+ tech out to your exchange, you're pretty much stuck.

Have you looked at any wireless alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

call them to double check, in same area with IBB getting great reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Both Eircom and BT are supposed to sort out your line if you place an order for broadband. It's called the Amber Programme. I'm sure it's easier to get this done through Eircom. Call their ADSL sales and see what the story is.

The Dundrum exchange was due to be Smart enabled around now, but I think it's on the backburner.

Irish Broadband, shudder, might be available to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

If you only got your line this morning it will fail. The test are only done every 2 weeks try it again in a week & every couple of days after that. There is a site which tells you when the line was last tested, I can't think of it at the moment. If somebody knows 'm sure they will post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Cheers guys.

I spoke with Eircom broadband last night. They said that my name still wasn't associated with that number. It was coming up as lapsed and under another name. i.e. It still wasn't transferred to me. That may have something to do with the failed test. I hope!

I also looked up our new neighbours in the book and inputted their number. It passed. It's a 298..... not 296...... Don't know if that makes any difference? Both numbers are the Sandyford exchange, apparently. So, I don't think the problem is an exchange one, if there is a problem.

I also looked up all the shops at the end of the road and inputted their numbers. All passed. Some were 298...., some 296....

The one thing that makes me think it might be a copper problem is that when we first viewed the house, there was an old rotary dial telephone in the hall! It was connected to the incoming line via one of those circular junction boxes. i.e. not plugged into one of the more current junction boxes. So, the old lady who lived there before us had never had anything done to her phone in 30 years, I would say.

Maybe that's the problem? If so, can it be upgraded?

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

beller b wrote:
    There is a site which tells you when the line was last tested, I can't think of it at the moment. If somebody knows 'm sure they will post it.

Netsource's Online checker gives the test date.

.cg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dinarius wrote:
    The one thing that makes me think it might be a copper problem is that when we first viewed the house, there was an old rotary dial telephone in the hall! It was connected to the incoming line via one of those circular junction boxes. i.e. not plugged into one of the more current junction boxes. So, the old lady who lived there before us had never had anything done to her phone in 30 years, I would say.

Yes, having bad wiring in your house can certainly cause you to fail the test.

First you should wait until your Eircom account is proerly setup. Also remember that they only carry out the test once a month, so you may need to wait for one month after your line is properly setup before you know if you really passed.

Also when waiting for the test, try disconnecting as much telephone equipment as possible, just use one stadard Eircom phone if you can, it will help improve the quality of your line.

If all this fails, you could get an Eircom engineer to look at the wiring in your house, however this may cost €€€.

Finally it would be worth checking with NTL if they have their cable broadband products available in your area. If yes, then get it, it is much better product/price then DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Panic over!

I just tried again and it passed.

Must have been to do with the fact that the line hadn't been fully transferred to me on Eircom's system.

It may also have to do with the fact that the electrician who is wiring our house disconnected the phone this afternoon. The line is still active, the phone isn't. Somehow, I doubt that would affect it. So, hopefully it's the former and we're OK.

I'll let you know how I get on. Meanwhile, many, many thanks for the prompt and helpful replies.

D.

ps. NTL's cable broadband is not active in our area yet.

pps. I actually tried the number on the Netsource site first and it passed for five of their products.

Advertisement